Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Godiva0998 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2009, 08:56 AM
    NJ Squatters' rights
    What is the amount of time that someone can live in your home in NJ before they can claim squatters rights?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 5, 2009, 09:17 AM

There is no time limit for this - as long as it's your home, it's your home. Now, if you have clearly abandoned the property and the squatter is acting as if he owned it (he pays utilities, property taxes, etc. you don't visit the property, and you don't protest his assertion that the property is his) then it can get tricky, but I believe that this activity would have to go on for a substantial period - 20 years or so - before you run the risk of actually losing possession. To avoid this, all you need do is notify the person in writing that the property is yours, and/or perform actions that establish that you have not abandoned it (mow the lawn, walk the property, pay the taxes, etc).

I looked into this years ago when my neighbor started to regularly mow a section of my property that abuts his back yard. This is in an area that I virtually never use or even walk on - so I have no objection to him doing this. But my attorney suggested I make a point of walking on the area at least once/year, and I also sent the neighbor a copy of a survey that shows the true boundary.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Oct 5, 2009, 10:36 AM
    Squatter's rights no longer exist. It has been replaced by the law of adverse possession.

In NJ the time for ownership by adverse possession is 60 years for uncultivated land and 30 years for other real estate.

In addition, the person must possess the property without the owner's permission for that entire time. If they have the owner's permission to live there then there is no claim for adverse possession. All you have to do is give them something in writing giving them permission to live there. If you don't want them to live there then start following the procedures for eviction.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Squatters Rights [ 9 Answers ]

I have recently won a judgement and eviction against a renter. This tenants actions - specifically overloading the apartment with undesireables and reeking havock with excessive noise and unsupervised children has my other tenants in an uproar. I have called the police several times to remove the...

Squatters rights [ 2 Answers ]

My children and I have been living with a friend for the past 6months, I clean the house run the errands, and her children around for her, last night I came home and the doors were locked for no reason, what do I do? I called no answer, knocked on the door no answer and they were home. Please...

Squatters rights [ 2 Answers ]

My landlord 'walked away' from his mortgage payments and the apartment/property in Massachusetts in which I and my family reside. He also returned my April 2008 rent check uncashed. I have made many of the needed repairs on the property myself and put in many extras such as a slate terrace and...

Squatters rights in pa. [ 2 Answers ]

I have 5 acres of uninproved land in Pa. can anyone claim this land for themselves? Under squatters rights?

Squatters rights. [ 13 Answers ]

Hello, This is taking place in NYS. I recently bought 25 acres of land that borders about 12 houses in my development. Upon purchase I sent out letters for usage of the land i.e.. They could mow it and use it just not put up any permeant structures or cut any trees. Also that the land has...

View more questions Search