Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    weather defende Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2009, 11:02 PM
    How to bleed water lines
    How exactly do you get all the air out of a hot water system with gas boiler?
    Keep on allowing the water from the supply line run through the lines individually and opening the purge valve on the return. And the pipes continue making noises (knocking)
    paratechs Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2009, 10:30 AM
    On mine, I remove the baseboard radiator cover, at one end of the radiators is a vent valve. Some require a screw driver others require a special tool. In mine I let the furnace heat up somewhat then I have pressure in the lines to bleed. I open the bleeder valve and catch water in a botle. When I get a stead stream without air close the valve. This can be done at each room.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 4, 2009, 11:27 AM

Do as paratechs says, bleed each register. Also, can you tell us if this noise is constant whenever the boiler is running, or does it only occur when the boiler first fires up, and again when boiler shuts down. Often times, the KNOCKING noise you are hearing is the expansion of copper pipes againts wood joist(caused by being to tight to wood), if this is the case, it will only happen as water is heating, and again when water is cooling. Usually, air in the system will not create a KNOCKING sound, but more just an annoying water air flow sound(cant think of the word to describe it right now, ugh) only at the register.

Basically, turn your themostat way up, let the system run, and tell us if the sound is constant for an hour, or if it is only for the first five or ten minutes, then goes away. If it goes away, turn the thermostat back down, and let us know if the knocking starts again,, if it does, your problem is not with air, but with expansion and contraction of heating pipes against wood surfaces. Hope this makes sense. Lee.
    paratechs Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2009, 04:30 PM
    Lee... You sound more knowledgeable tha I about boilers. Can you respond to my post... I have a Weil Mclaine boiler. I brush it out annually then pull the burner and sweep out the debris that falls into the fire box. Each year the liner (wet pack) has more areas of cracking or concern. I found the replacement part numbers but how do I install the pack? Do I simply wet it and place it. Do I somehow glue it in? I am referring to the floor and rear refractory.. maybe even the front also. I have had the boiler apart but have not removed the old pack or ordered the parts yet. Product diagram http://www.weil-mclain.com/professio... ntinued/68.pdf
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 4, 2009, 06:36 PM

Sorry paratechs, I have not had any experience with replacing this item, but it should give you thorough instructions with the kit. Please let me know more about it when you get the kit, always interested in learning. Sorry I can't be of further help with this. Lee.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water well pressure bleed off in 10 minutes [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I am trying to pin point a problem with my water well. I have a down hole pump with a pressure tank and pressure valve in the house. My problem is that I am having a drop in pressure with no water usage. My pressure switch is set to kick the pump in when it drops to 22 psi. It kicks out at 45...

How to bleed a water heat system [ 2 Answers ]

How to bleed a water heater system

Do I need to bleed my hot water system? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I had to replace a leaking shower hot water handle. I closed the valves and drained the water from the bathroom sink and shower. Got the shower handle replaced with no problem, but now my heating system sounds funny; almost like it is draining. Also, the hot water is constantly running...

Bleed brakes--max torque to close bleed valve screw? [ 1 Answers ]

Working on a '99 Miata. Changed the right rear caliper, but cannot find information on the maximum torque to close the bleed valve screw. My repair manual does not have this information nor the Kragen store nor the website of the manufacturer--Cardone. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

View more questions Search