Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Oct 1, 2009, 02:42 PM
    Banana bread with bananas that are not very ripe
    Hi all,
    Quick question.
    I have a yen for banana bread but all I have are normally ripe bananas and I was wondering how that would affect the outcome of the bread,if at all.

Every recipe I have found calls for very ripe bananas.

Is they any way to speed up the ripening process?
    I know brown bags work but I want bread today.

Thanks much! :D
    kaytee09 Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Oct 1, 2009, 02:56 PM
    It is okay that the bananas are not very ripe. You can either put them in a brown paper sack with an apple and let that sit on the counter overnight or you can use them how they are. The only reason that it is better to use them when they are overly ripe is because they are sweeter and easier to mash. I hope this helps!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 1, 2009, 02:57 PM

artlady, it doesn't matter what condition bananas are in. There strong flavour will carry them through even if they aren't over ripe. If you want to speed up the process, put them in the refrigerator to blacken a bit, but I have made banana bread with good bananas and always had an excellent outcome.

Tick
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Oct 1, 2009, 02:59 PM
    Other than the paper bag, I don't know of any other fast ripening methods for bananas.

I have used ripe (versus very ripe) bananas before with fairly good results. I ended up putting them in the blender instead of just mashing them.

There is a slight flavor and texture difference, but according to Cats and family they liked it.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 1, 2009, 03:03 PM

artlady, do you remember the old Chiquita Banana commercials saying 'never put your bananas in the refrigerator, cha cha cha'. Its because they go ripe too fast ! Bon apetite ! I have some already made with walnuts and raisins ! Oh, and yes an apple pie with caramel underneath made from butter, brown sugar and pecans, yum... I had to have that made last night!

Tick
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Oct 1, 2009, 04:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    artlady, do you remember the old Chiquita Banana commercials saying 'never put your bananas in the refrigerator, cha cha cha'. Its because they go ripe too fast ! Bon apetite ! I have some already made with walnuts and raisins ! Oh, and yes an apple pie with caramel underneath made from butter, brown sugar and pecans, yum....I had to have that made last night!

tick
    Girl,you are making me drool :)
    I have a terrible sweet tooth and I love to bake so the combo is not so great.
    I am hyper thyroid so I don't gain weight,it just burns off even if I am sitting so I guess it's a blessing in disguise !
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2009, 04:44 AM

If you haven't made it yet just make sure you mash up the bananas really well... adding a small amount of honey to the mush adds an interesting sweet flavor too ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bananas and milk [ 32 Answers ]

I just had this weird memory of my bio mom feeding me a chopped up banana in a bowl, sprinkled with sugar and milk poured over it, like cold cereal except minus the cereal. I've never eaten this as a teen or an adult, and I forgot all about it until just now. Is this something that other people eat...

Tomatoes falling off the vine before ripe [ 3 Answers ]

What causes green tomatoes to fall off the vine before they are ripe?

Banana bread? [ 29 Answers ]

Can I make banana bread without the baking soda? What would happen if I did this recipie? 1/2 c. butter 1 c. sugar 2 eggs 3 crushed bananas 2 c. flour Pinch of salt

Ripe fruit [ 1 Answers ]

Why do fruits ripen? Thanks:) :) :)

Banana bread [ 2 Answers ]

Can someone please give me a recipe for banana bread without american weights and without nuts I have had one and lost it thanks -chryssie

View more questions Search