Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dwigle Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2006, 02:50 PM
    Basement floor drain
    We have a cast iron basement floor drain with no valve to prevent backflow. Can you put such a valve in an iron pipe and, if so, would I have to go to a plumbing specialty store to get one? The ones at Home Depot are only meant for plastic pipe. If I have to convert to plastic, what is the best way to do this?
    Thanks,
    Don Wigle
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 11, 2006, 04:35 PM
    Please explain the Home Depot check valve. Is it made for floor drains or just for pipe? Cheers, Tom

Nov 11, 2006, 06:04 PM
    Hi Tom,
    Thanks for your reply. A staff person at Home Depot said that their valves (different diameters but mostly 4") are intended for insertion in ABS or similar plastic floor drain pipe.
    Don
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 12, 2006, 11:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dwigle
    Hi Tom,
    Thanks for your reply. A staff person at Home Depot said that their valves (different diameters but mostly 4") are intended for insertion in ABS or similar plastic floor drain pipe.
    Don
    This is why big box salesmen aren't out doing plumbing. Floor drains are mostly 2" and the check valve you describe, ( providing you could get it in 2") would force you to take up the cement and install it downstream from the floor drain.
    If a back up concerned me I would just take a rubber ball and remove the floor drain strainer and jam that ball down the drain opening. That way the floor drain would be sealed but still usable. Simple huh? Regards, Tom

Nov 12, 2006, 11:42 AM
    Thanks Tom - that is what I will try until I find a better solution (if ever!)
    Best regards,
    Don
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 13, 2006, 07:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dwigle
    Thanks Tom - that is what I will try until I find a better solution (if ever!)
    Best regards,
    Don
    Hey Don I ran into a floor drain flood protector at; http://www.plumbingsupply.com/floodguard.html
    Check it out. Regards, Tom

Nov 13, 2006, 11:35 AM
    Thanks Tom - I picked up one of those valves locally and installed it in about 2 minutes! I was able to get one 3" diameter that just fit into our old cast iron drain pipe.
    Best regards,
    Don

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement Floor Drain Back Up [ 3 Answers ]

House is a one storey with finished basement (older) it has a floor drain in front of the washer/dryer , and it has been backing up. Two months ago we had some issues with the drain in which the water level was almost to the top of the drain(floor level)and during washing clothes soap bubbles would...

Basement floor drain backs up [ 5 Answers ]

We recently had a problem with our basement floor drain backing up when we took a shower or used the washer. We paid $350.00 for someone to come roto-rooter the main sewer line out to the street. He used the trap next to the basement stairs inside to clean out. He pulled out a ton of roots and ran...

Basement Floor Drain [ 2 Answers ]

I have a floor drain in the basement which appears to be dried out. When I put water down the drain it just sat there for a couple of days before drying out. Could the drain have a blockage and, if so, how do I fix it. I'm concerned because the drain is the only apparent relief from water in the...

Basement floor drain [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Colorado and wish to install a basement shower and use the existing floor drain in the basement to connect the shower basin drain to it. Is that OK to do? What problems might I encounter? How do I know if one exists? If none exists, what are the code requirements? The house was built...

Basement floor drain [ 1 Answers ]

My basement floor has no floor drain. I am concerned that if there is a water event like a hot water heater rupture the basement will flood. What is the best way to install a floor drain for the basement? I have busted up some of the slab because I am adding a bathroom in the basement. Have you...

View more questions Search