Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bigmama35 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2009, 12:53 PM
    5 weeks old Shih Tzu puppy not drinking.

Sorry I can't seem to find out how to post a question.. I have a 5 week old puppy(zu) sorry if I spelt it wrong.. Anyways she will not drink water.. she did only once and will not touch it again.
    So what I have been doing is mixing her puppy mush with water and feeding that too her twice a day and giving the puppy milk supplement to her once a day.. Do you think she is getting enough water?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2009, 01:20 PM

Only a Vet can tell if she is dehydrated - there certianly are physical signs but at 5 weeks (why was she taken from her mother so young?) a Vet should take a look.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2009, 02:25 AM

Firstly what are you doing wit ha 5 week old puppy??

That puppy should either still be with its mother or with a proper carer who knows how to raise young puppies!

The puppy should be eating solids quite well now, both canned and dry food.
    The pup should be getting puppy milk 2-3 times a day, this amount is decreased as the pup gets older and water added to it.

You don't just give a puppy plain water straight away, they will not drink it.
    You need to mix milk with water, about 75% milk to 25% water to begin with and gradually increase the water ratio until you have plain water.

Has this puppy been to a vet yet?
    It is far past its date to have its first worming tablet.

Note: Never give a dog cows milk, it MUST be either goats milk or a special puppy formula available at pet stores, vets and even supermarkets.

Oct 1, 2009, 07:29 AM

K... here is the story... a neighbours dog had puppies, I put a down payment on one. She was born on Aug/25 and I wasn't suspose to get her until approx. Oct/20, well I got a phone call from this person last week saying pick the puppy up on the 26/Sept. I said she is to young, she replyied she didn't care, she didn't want to puppy sit anymore, obviously she did it just for the $. So having a puppy so young was not a choice of mine. I have had one who I got at 8 weeks, already eating dry food, so this is all very new. So help, not scoldind is appreciated
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2009, 08:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmama35 View Post
    K...here is the story...a neighbours dog had puppies, I put a down payment on one. She was born on Aug/25 and I wasn't suspose to get her until approx. Oct/20, well I got a phone call from this person last week saying pick the puppy up on the 26/Sept. I said she is to young, she replyied she didn't care, she didn't want to puppy sit anymore, obviously she did it just for the $. So having a puppy so young was not a choice of mine. I have had one who I got at 8 weeks, already eating dry food, so this is all very new. So help, not scoldind is appreciated

Please don't criticize the people who are trying to help you - you must admit that the circumstances under which you obtained a VERY young puppy are unusual! "Shaz" is a VERY respected member - we see so many irresponsible people here that it's a shock when we see someone who IS responsible, has an explanation, someone like you.

I do understand now how you came to obtain the puppy - and, as a side note, congrats to you for stepping in. Other people would have walked away.

That having been said - I think the puppy has to see a Vet just to make certain there are no problems.

And, yes, I have a GSD that I rescued at 7 weeks - from her first owner. I have no idea how young she was when she was taken from her mother.
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2009, 08:28 AM
    K...here is the story...a neighbours dog had puppies, I put a down payment on one. She was born on Aug/25 and I wasn't suspose to get her until approx. Oct/20, well I got a phone call from this person last week saying pick the puppy up on the 26/Sept. I said she is to young, she replyied she didn't care, she didn't want to puppy sit anymore, obviously she did it just for the $. So having a puppy so young was not a choice of mine. I have had one who I got at 8 weeks, already eating dry food, so this is all very new. So help, not scoldind is appreciated
    Thank you Judy, and I agree a vet check is needed.

You will find a lot of "breeders" that are only out to make money.. I am not scolding as the damage has already been done but if you do decide to get another puppy please make sure you buy one from a reputable breeder... any chance to discourage backyard breeders from breeding their dogs should be taken.

I did give you help, I told you that no, she does not need to be drinking plain water yet, but she does need to be having more fluids in the form of water mixed with puppy milk.

Oct 1, 2009, 11:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Thankyou Judy, and I agree a vet check is needed.

You will find a lot of "breeders" that are only out to make money.. I am not scolding as the damage has already been done but if you do decide to get another puppy please make sure you buy one from a reputable breeder... any chance to discourage backyard breeders from breeding their dogs should be taken.

I did give you help, I told you that no, she does not need to be drinking plain water yet, but she does need to be having more fluids in the form of water mixed with puppy milk.
    I thank you for that advise and yes I have taken away the water and yes from the day I got her I have always been giving her a milk replacer, but now I make it available all the time. Just so you know my last Shih Tzu was from a actual breeder, I don't make it a habit to get puppies and not treat them well. The only reason I do not have my other one is I ended a 8yr relationship and he new the dog meant the world to me and would not let me have her. This little one that we now have makes myself and my 2 daughters very giddy, and my girls are 10 & 14 so they are a huge help with our new addition, it took me 2yrs to even agree to another dog. Anyway have a wonderful day.

Oct 1, 2009, 02:36 PM
    QUOTE=;][/QUOTE]
    Today I made her first vet appointment, it is on Oct/8.. :)
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2009, 03:32 PM
    QUOTE=;]
    Today I made her first vet appointment, it is on Oct/8.. :)[/QUOTE]

Please come back and let us know how she is doing - what you learn may very well be helpful to someone else.
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2009, 02:02 AM

I'm sorry to hear that your ex would not let your keep your other dog, that's just plain nasty.

I have to go through the formalities of letting people know to buy from good breeders... just in case anyone else is reading/reads this in the future :)

Good luck and let us know how the pup goes at the vets.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Shih Tzu puppy [ 1 Answers ]

This is my first time asking a question so IDK how it will go... It's not super serious but I would like serious answers only please. :) My Shih Tzu puppy who's about 6, maybe 7 monthes old has inward growing eyelashes so he will be having sugery for that but in the mean time I got him some...

Puppy shih tzu [ 39 Answers ]

I would like to know, the puppy I would like to get her nose is not develop yet, I'm just scared I may have to drill her nose just so she can breathe. The breeder said the mom is the same way, and her nose is fine. The dad has a big nose and sister already has a nose, the pups are right now are 5...

How to take care of a shih tzu puppy? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I just got a 3 months old shih tzu (I named it ficco) and He doesn't want to be put in the crate so I just let him in a small room with papers on every corners. The problem is.. is it okay if I leave him in that room from 7am-3pm? Because I'm in college. Though I have a maid who only gives...

Shih Tzu Puppy Throwing Up [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 5+ month old shih tzu puppy. He has been throwing up about every other morning since last week. (Including today, has thrown up two days in a row since he also did yesterday.) Very odd. He is still eating, pooping/peeing regularly. Everything looks good. He had been on muscle...

Puppy shih-tzu [ 2 Answers ]

My puppy who is four months old, just started licking a tearing up her puppy pads and if she misses the pad and it gets pee pee on the floor she is licking it up. This is strange and she just started doing this:( :( :confused:

View more questions Search