Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kakie2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2006, 11:23 PM
    Furnace won't turn off
    Our furnace won't turn off. I turned the heat off at the thermostat and no luck. I changed out the thermostat with a new one and it is doing the same thing. If the breaker is off, the fan and heat are off; is the breaker is on, the fan and heat are on even if the thermostat is set to off. We turned down the thermostat and the house just got hotter and hotter.

THis is a Lennox FAG, model G12RQ 3E-137.

This furnace was here when we bought the house; we estimate the age of the furnace at 20-22. It was originally wired so that the blower is on all the time, which is probably a good idea for a house with high ceilings ( some over 12' and 3 stories.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2006, 06:39 AM
    Start by reading the sticky at the top of this forum. Then with the heat shut off at the thermostat, and the breaker off, go to the furnace and remove the red or white wires that run to the thermostat. If the furnace doesn't start up when you turn the circuit breaker on, you have a short between the red and white wires somewhere. You can check them where you can get at them, round new wire, swap them with unused wires in the bundle, or buy a wireless thermostat.

If the furnace still runs, try giving the gas valve a rap. If it shuts off, it is bad. Replace it.

With a furnace that old, the heat exchanger should be carefully inspected. It is the part the gas burns in, and the supply air blows by. If it has any cracks, holes, or anything else allowing a leak, replace the furnace. If you don't feel you could spot a problem, call a professional.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2006, 03:01 PM
    You really should have that furnace safety instected, I would hope you did before the
    Purchase. The serviceman should be able to cheaply repair the problem while he is there. Lennox G series with there duracurve heat exchanger is notorious for cracking in far less than 20 years. Although the CO release may be low in a hairline crack, cracks never get better. And even small amounts of CO may not make you sick according to the state of California and New York can cause cancer, birth defects and other health issues. I really don't go around pushing equipment, but your health is priceless.

PS don't let on you know of the potential for cracks, make him prove it honestly. Almost all servicemen push equipment because they get a commission or finders fee.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Carrier Furnace - Burners turn on and off [ 2 Answers ]

On my Carrier furnace (model 58G5100-2) the igniter starts the pilot, and most times the pilot starts the burners after a minute or two and then the blower motor starts. Other times, pilot lights the burners which burn for a minute or two, stop and then start again... and after a few minutes...

Furnace fan slow to turn on, off [ 3 Answers ]

We recently (as in last week) purchased a cabin equipped with a Day and Night forced air furnace. The fan for the furnace seems to take an awful long time to come on after the burner assembly ignites, and, similarly, the fan takes an awful long time to turn off after the furnace is turned off. ...

RTH230B doesn't turn the furnace on [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Honeywell RTH230B thermastat and it's starting to get a little chilly here. My 84 year old Mother would really appreciate some heat however I can't make the thermastat come on. I thought the pilot light was out so we called the gas company; when he came out he told me to replace the...

Blower for furnace won't turn on [ 2 Answers ]

I have just re-lit my pilot light for the winter. The furnace is turning on with the thermostat set, but the blower isn't. If I put the blower to manual it turns on, but not in the auto setting. What do I need to do?

Furnace blower won't turn on [ 8 Answers ]

I have a Bryant 395C furnace. The blower won't come on even when thermostat fan switch is set to "on." I've verified that I'm getting 24V AC between terminals marked G and C on the furnace. Blower has 3 wires going into circuit board on furnace. These are colored red, black, and white; red is...

View more questions Search