Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kichin Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2009, 04:23 PM
    virus on my computer
    I think I have a virus on my computer. I ran spybot and it finds at least 5 thing, but none of my other virus detector seems to recognize anything. I've also ran SpyEraser and Malwarebytes' Anti Malware. I suspect that I still have a virus because, when I'm working online, a new tab opens up by itself, on Firefox and then a new window also opens up. Does any one know why spybot is the only software that is recognizing the viruses, and not the others.
    Thank you for any help.
    Cedarln2265 Posts: 193, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2009, 08:06 AM

First what operating system are you using? If it is Windows have you kept your UPDATES updated. Advise
    kichin Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2009, 08:55 AM
    I am using windows xp and have been keeping my updates updated.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Sep 25, 2009, 09:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kichin View Post
    I think I have a virus on my computer. I ran spybot and it finds at least 5 thing, but none of my other virus detector seems to recognize anything. I've also ran SpyEraser and Malwarebytes' Anti Malware. I suspect that I still have a virus because, when I'm working online, a new tab opens up by itself, on firefox and then a new window also opens up. Does any one know why spybot is the only software that is recognizing the viruses, and not the others.
    Thank you for any help.
    Some anti-spyware and anti-virus programs can do more damage than harm; I've had the same thing happen to me.

Try this:
    Advanced SystemCare Free | Free Registry Cleaner, Clean Privacy & Speed Up PC
    Another user recommended it to me and I find it to be absolutely amazing.

Sep 25, 2009, 10:16 AM

Microsoft has a Fix It program on their Microsoft Website. You might want to run that and see if there has been any changes to your system. If there have been, the program will either correct or tell you why not. Program is free.
    It really sounds like a popup - can you disable it in the program that's running it?
    Good luck
    Ultra Member

Sep 25, 2009, 10:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cedarln2265 View Post
    Microsoft has a Fix It program on their Microsoft Website. You might want to run that and see if there has been any changes to your system. If there have been, the program will either correct or tell you why not. Program is free.
    It really sounds like a popup - can you disable it in the program that's running it?
    good luck
    Are you referring to the OP doing a system restore, which is completely unnecessary at this point?

Sep 25, 2009, 10:41 AM

No, the Microsoft Fix it runs a scan and sees if there are any harmful changes to the system. If there is you get a notification of same or not
    I had a popup saying I had a virus so ran the usual and then the Fix it nothing... was a stupid popup from a spyware website...

Sep 25, 2009, 10:44 AM

Understood - anti-virus programs prevent virus
    Updates are also anti-virus as the updates "plug" holes in the system that allows virus's in the system in the first place
    Ultra Member

Sep 25, 2009, 10:56 AM
    Understood - anti-virus programs prevent virus
    Updates are also anti-virus as the updates "plug" holes in the system that allows virus's in the system in the first place
    No, they don't and that is terrible advice. If updates prevented spyware and viruses from ever being installed, there would be no need for anti-virus or anti-spyware programs in the first place.
    Ultra Member

Sep 25, 2009, 11:23 AM
    Understood - updates are for plugging holes in the system programs to keep virus from entering in the first place tks
    Please do not send your repeatedly wrong information to my e-mail. It's bad enough that you posted it here.

Sep 25, 2009, 02:16 PM

Please check Microsoft Website for Home users and the Sept 2009 TOS for this website
    Ultra Member

Sep 25, 2009, 02:21 PM
    Please check Microsoft Website for Home users and the Sept 2009 TOS for this website
    You have officially confused me. I really have no clue what you're talking about, why you're asking me to read Microsoft's Home User page, the Terms of Service page for AMHD or why that would even pertain to what we're talking about.

Do you have a link or can you quote what it is you think you're talking about?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2009, 02:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by this8384 View Post
    You have officially confused me. I really have no clue what you're talking about, why you're asking me to read Microsoft's Home User page, the Terms of Service page for AMHD or why that would even pertain to what we're talking about.

Do you have a link or can you quote what it is you think you're talking about?

As I recall the info on computer viruses is in my new car handbook. But maybe I'm mistaken. Or maybe it came with the new TV.

Let me go and check TOS and get back to you -

Isn't this an opinion board as opposed to an answer board? No, that would some other place.

Sorry - here, I'll PM you every 3 minutes and then report you to a moderator for reading my PMs.

NOTE TO SELF: check if the moon is full.
    Ultra Member

Sep 25, 2009, 02:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    As I recall the info on computer viruses is in my new car handbook. But maybe I'm mistaken. Or maybe it came with the new TV.

Let me go and check TOS and get back to you -

Isn't this an opinion board as opposed to an answer board? No, that would some other place.

Sorry - here, I'll PM you every 3 minutes and then report you to a moderator for reading my PMs.

NOTE TO SELF: check if the moon is full.
    I thought you got a punch-card with the instructions: download 10 viruses, get an 11th virus free. You just stick the card into the floppy drive and watch it make holes... yes?

By the way, who else hates pineapples?

And where did the man in the moon come from?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 25, 2009, 04:45 PM
    First, some Windows updates do plug security holes, but they are not considered anti-vrus. Anti-virus programs do have their own updates. That's how they detect new viruses.

That being said Cedarin's advice here has been vague and inaccurate. And yet again, if you find a tool that helps, give a link to it.

To the OP. Spybot doesn't catch viruses, it catches spyware. It does sound you have a popup which is consistent more with spyware than a virus. So is spyware recognizes it, let it clear it out.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2009, 06:36 AM
    Everyone with a computer should have bought and installed both a good Antivirus as well as anti-spywhere program to use on it with current updated definition files. What is the best is open to discussion... but don't get or install anything that advertizes via Pop-ups on your machine... Those more often than not are spyware or viruses themselves.

And no... Microsoft does NOT include them with any of their operating systems. Its stupid and dangerous to assume that it does.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Computer Has a Virus [ 2 Answers ]

My laptop has a virus. What is my best course of action to try to remedy the problem?

Virus on the computer [ 4 Answers ]

Hello Everyone I have a Virus on my computer. I am running XP Media Center, with a wireless network that I put together myself and was very surprised that it worked. But now I have a Virus and is not able to get on line or able to us my restore disk. Please HELP ME, I just don't know what...

Virus in computer [ 7 Answers ]

My brother has a gateway laptop computer, and it has a virus, I don't know how to clean it out. Is there any software that I can use to get ride of the virus? What can I do to get the virus out! Thanks

Virus on computer [ 3 Answers ]

How do I delete viruses on my computer?

I think I have a Computer virus but it won't go away. [ 9 Answers ]

I've just recently gotten a virus (I'll call it a virus because I don't know all of the terms to use). Every time I run a scan with ad-aware (SE personal), I find new cirtical objects. I've tried keeping them in quarentine, and also deleting the quarentine file. Every time I turn my computer back...

View more questions Search