Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SHY11 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2009, 10:22 AM
    Retail theft
    Could someone be charged with theft days or weeks after the incident occurred? Like if i took something a week ago, could they charge me next time i go into the store?
    Thanks.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 25, 2009, 10:28 AM

If you got out of the store with your theft, but your image was caught on camera but they didn't aprehend you, yes, if you went to that store again, tellers probably notified and you will be caught.

I guess you haven't learned a lesson yet, but you will next time if you get caught stealing. Your could actually ruin your chances of ever having a decent job if you have a record.

Tick

Sep 25, 2009, 10:31 AM

Oh, I learned my lesson..

Sep 25, 2009, 10:34 AM

And it wasn't me who took it was my friend, if that makes any difference which I don't think it does?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2009, 05:55 AM
    Hello S:

They don't have to wait until you go to the store again. They can come to your HOUSE to arrest you, and they have up to a year to do it.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 26, 2009, 06:10 AM

Every crime has a statue of limitation, a time after the crime to charge someone with it. Depending on where you live that period is often 6 months to a year for this type of crime.

The store can merely call the police show them the evidence, such as cameras and the such. And the police would get with the DA and issue a warrant for you.

A warrant normally never expires so they could arrest you years from now if that happened

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Retail Theft [ 5 Answers ]

Ok here is my situation. I was 17 and stupid I was fired from a job with retail theft. The day they fired me I was pulled into the office and accused of stealing $50 out of a cash register and stealing from the company. I told them I didn't take any money out of the register except for when I...

Retail Theft. [ 8 Answers ]

Hello... Well I applied to a job and I omitted the fact that I was charged with retail theft a few years ago. The thing is... I was not caught red handed and I never saw the supposed video tape that they said there was. I moved out of the area and they tracked me down and instead of fighting them...

Retail theft under $100 [ 13 Answers ]

I was recently caught trying to steal a few small items from a walmart store. An undercover police officer working there caught me. The items totaled to about $45. I did not have to go to jail and get bailed out but was issued a citation and have to show up in court. Should I get a lawyer? I'm 21...

Retail Theft [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I committed retail theft a few years ago. I admitted to my employer that I had been committing retail theft and I had to pay every cent I took back and write a formal letter of apology. Will this go on my Criminal record? I never got arrested or went to court for this matter? Will...

Retail theft under $150, in PA [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I got caught for doing something very stupid retail theft... my gut said don't do it and I still did. I was just trying to see how people do it and not get caught heard from other people, watching TV no one ever gets caught. People who do it first time and don't know how to do it get caught....

View more questions Search