Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bigim Posts: 25, Reputation: 4

Sep 23, 2009, 12:13 PM
    Kitchen sink drains very slow
    Hi guys, let me start by admitting my lack of plumbing knowledge or skills. I have a kitchen sink that is backed up. The water starts standing within a few seconds of running the faucet. I took apart everything under the sink and cleaned it out. I snaked the pipe that goes into the wall under the sink. The house was built in 2000. None of the other drains in the house are clogged although my bathroom sink needs drano every few months. Any ideas?? Could it have something to do with this water purifier that's hooked up. That thing started leaking a year ago so I just shut off the water lines running to it.? I'm super lost. I'd appreciate it if you can keep it really simple since I have no idea what's going on.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 23, 2009, 12:16 PM

Your water purifier has nothing to do with the sink drain problem. Have you tried an old fashioned plunger on the sink drain? I'll betcha that will unclog whatever is in the line. And for your other drain, try the plunger before using drano.

Sep 23, 2009, 01:26 PM

I haven't tried a plunger but I already snaked it.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 23, 2009, 02:10 PM

Forget the plunger since it sounds like your clog is pretty far down stream past the vent stack. How far did you get your snake to go> Does this sink and the bathroom sink happen to be back to back in the home sharing the same drain line. Try to avoid chemicals especially with a bathroom sink. The slow bath usually is hair and body oil right below the stopper. Get on of these, cheap and may be what you need for the bath. Zip-It Unclog Drains in Seconds

Sep 23, 2009, 11:18 PM
    I got the snake at least 8 to 10 feet in. it wouldn't go any further. The bathroom and kitchen sink aren't back to back, they're only about 15 feet apart though. I don't know if they share a drain line. I read on another thread to fill both sides of the sink with about 2 inches of water, and cover one side with a towel and plunge the other side. I'll try that. I hope its not the main drain.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 24, 2009, 04:45 AM
    I got the snake at least 8 to 10 feet in. it wouldn't go any further.
    If you snaked the pipe inside the wall all the way to the vent stack then that line's clear.
    This means that the clog's farther on down the drain line. You get to that from the kitchen roof vent. Snake from there. Put out enough snake to reach the base and 16 feet more. When I snake a clogged sink from the roof I always make sure the traps installed and run water in the sink until I have some standing water.
    When I get the clog the water will drain away telling me that it's clear. Good luck, Tom
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 24, 2009, 07:41 AM

You can't plunge a clog this far down the line. By trying you will just psuh the standing water up and down inside the vent stack which is a pipe running up to above your roof line. Like Tom says, you can rod down that stack from the roof with enough rod to reach roof to basement floor plus 20'. Before you go up on the roof check all your drains lines downstream to see if you have ny clean outs, much esaier if you find them.

Sep 24, 2009, 10:44 PM

Thank you guys for all the advice. I'll be working on it on Saturday. I work 2 jobs so I'm not home until very late. I'll post whatever comes from it.
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 25, 2009, 03:22 AM
    Let us know what you find. Good luck, Tom

Oct 7, 2009, 09:22 AM

Hi guys, thanks for all your help. I was able to get it open by snaking the pipe on the outside of my house. It was right behind the kitchen sink wall, had a little white stopper. Thanks again for all your help.
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 8, 2009, 06:11 AM
    Glad you got repaired and thanks for the update. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New Vessel Sink without overflow drains slow [ 59 Answers ]

I installed a new vessel sink without an overfolw and it drains very slow. When I loosen a connection and let some air in it drains fine, just like it did with the original undercounter sink. So I assume I need to do something to compensate for the lack of an overflow. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Kitchen Sink Drains really slow [ 6 Answers ]

I just installed a new kitchen and thought I was on the home stretch being that all I had to do was drop the new sink in and hook everything back up like it was... DISMAY DISMAY DISMAY... There were no evident problems when we took the old sink out... (it did stay removed for about 6 weeks...

Kitchen sink draining into laundry sick. And than that drains really slow! [ 2 Answers ]

Our kitchen sink is draining into our laundry sink and the laundry sick will not drain or at least extremely slowly! Please help!

Bath room sink drains slow. [ 1 Answers ]

I just installed new sinkstop and rods on my bath room sink. Now the sink drains slow. I pull up twist slightly the stopper, it drains fine.what causes this?

View more questions Search