Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    notsmart3456 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2009, 10:44 AM
    Adding Sulfuric Acid to Calcium Carbonate and Sodium Chloride
    Hi all,

I have the preliminary reaction and products here and I am trying to determine what would happen to the products (visually and chemically) if I added sulfuric acid to the products. The reactant side started with 10 mL of Sodium Carbonate and 3mL of calcium chloride and I am adding another 3 mL of sulfuric acid into the product solution. Now I understand sulfuric acid can react at high temperatures with sodium chloride to produce sodium bisulfate and hydrochloric acid. I am also aware that sulfuric acid reacts with calcium carbonate to produce calcium sulfate, CO2, and H2O. My question is which one would happen?

CaCl2(aq) + Na2CO3(aq) --> CaCO3(s) + 2NaCl(aq) (I couldn't get the subscripts in smaller letters the numbers AFTER the elements refer to the quantity of that specific element the numbers before still refer to the quantity of the compound)

Thank you very much for any help you can give me!
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Sep 23, 2009, 11:28 AM
    I have the preliminary reaction and products here and I am trying to determine what would happen to the products (visually and chemically) if I added sulfuric acid to the products.

The reactant side started with 10 mL of Sodium Carbonate and 3mL of calcium chloride and I am adding another 3 mL of sulfuric acid into the product solution.

You'll get foaming (CO2) or bubbling, or whatever you wish to call it. Some heat will be evolved. Actually, simply pouring sulfuric acid into water will evolve heat ("Do what you otter ... Add the acid to the water"). This is a facile reaction and will occur easily.

Now I understand sulfuric acid can react at high temperatures with sodium chloride to produce sodium bisulfate and hydrochloric acid. I am also aware that sulfuric acid reacts with calcium carbonate to produce calcium sulfate, CO2, and H2O. My question is which one would happen?
    Sodium chloride will not react with sulfuric acid at normal temperatures. You'd have to get to very high temperatures to get sodium bisulfite.
    notsmart3456 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2009, 11:33 AM

Hey thanks a lot perito, out of curiosity would the same outcome occur if you poured calcium chloride and sulfuric acid into the sodium carbonate at the same time instead of separately?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Sep 23, 2009, 12:01 PM

Hmm, I believe that you'll have a simultaneous reaction taking place.

and

So, you'll see only bubbles of gas being given off.

You'll perhaps see a white precipitate which appears and disappears quickly. I'm not sure of that though, the practical has to be made to confirm. But if the sodium carbonate is in excess, you will definitely have the precipitate of CaCO3.

:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Balancing reaction of Sodium bicarbonate and sulfuric acid [ 4 Answers ]

I am trying to balance the equation for the reaction of sodium bicarbonate and sulfuric acid. This is what I have gotten so far: 2 NaHCO3 + 2 H2SO4 ---> 2NaSO4 + 3 H2O + 2CO2 I am trying to figure out where I went wrong, because I have more oxygen atoms on the product side, than on the...

Sodium carbonate + sulfuric acid [ 11 Answers ]

What is the product of sodium carbonate + sulfuric acid?

How sodium sulfite formed with sulfuric acid? [ 1 Answers ]

In the reaction, there are sodium carbonate, sulfuric acid, lots of water and high in temperature. Is there any chance to form sodium sulfite and sodium sulfate? Help. Thanks.:confused::confused:

Sufuric acid + sodium carbonate [ 4 Answers ]

What would happen if you mix the to

Sulfuric acid+ calcium carbonate [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I ould like to know the chemical reaction that shows how sulfuric acid reacts with calcium carbonate. If someone could please answer as fast as you can ill be very thankful:)

View more questions Search