Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dguerr Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Sep 21, 2009, 11:12 PM
    Removing stuck plastic nuts holding toilet valve to the intake tube
    I am trying to replace the valves inside the toilet tank. I have done this before and always seem to have a problem. This time I cannot remove the two plastic nuts under the tank, holding the metal intake tube to the tank and the valve.

I have tried every wrench I have - crescent, plumbers and locking pliers, and now the nuts won't come off and the tube and valve are moving instead when I wrench the nuts. (I did first try by hand, but the nuts were tight.)

Loosening the nut at the bottom of the intake tube by the water cutoff valve did not help. I tried to tighten it back up, but now the tube is offline from the water valve assembly.

I tried the oil used to release sticky things like this, but it did not help any.

Tried using two wrenches - to hold the old valve while trying to take the old nuts off, but it did not help.

Tried both clockwise and counter-clockwise, too.

The instructions in the fluidmaster kit and those on the Internet are clear, but these two nuts just do not want to come loose and I am at my wits end in thinking of ways to get them loose so I can lift the valve out and put a new one in the tank.

I would like a detailed answer, if anyone had it. Thanks ahead of time !
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2009, 11:46 PM

The valve is trash anyway, so you cut the nuts off. A utility knife or a hot utility knife should cut the nuts off easily. Cut in two places.

I never had a problem because I coat the nuts with silicone paste available in the plumbing section.

Many bolts are brass, so they can easily be cut with a hacksaw.

If you need to hold the inside, you can always drill a hole in the plastic and spear it. That's how I got stubborn oil filters off.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 22, 2009, 04:11 AM
    KISS has the right idea. Make a cut and simply split the nut apart. Good luck, I use a mini hacksaw. Good luck, Tom
    KTnVA Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2012, 09:27 AM
    Sending out a big thank you to KISS. That's awesome. I had the same problem trying to fix my mother's toilet, and sawed it right out. Saved my pride! :)

Thanks much.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing Stuck Shower/Bathtub Packing Nuts [ 1 Answers ]

I have a duplex apartment which has 30 year old plumbing, all galvanized. My problem is that I have a bathtub in which the handles and spout are leaking, mostly hot water. I have been able to remove the handles with a handle puller. My problem is that I cannot get the packing nuts off. They are...

Removing broken wing nuts [ 3 Answers ]

I shut off the main water supply as I am attempting to replace my toilet tank. When I Looked underneath the toilet, both wing nuts are rusted, and broken off. I sprayed WD To try to loosen without any luck. Any ideas please

Intake valve stuck [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, this is Peter I have a Craftman lawn mover won't start. I found out that is the intake valve stuck close I took of the intake and cleaned it. It fire up but then after 3 minutes it shut off and stuck again. I try to clean the valve and valve guide up to 3 times and it done same thing over...

Removing a broken, plastic toilet flange [ 1 Answers ]

How I remove a broken plastic toilet flange

Fixing a leaking intake valve [ 12 Answers ]

Do I need to call a plumber to fix a leaking intake valve for cold water to my washing machine -- is this a soldering job? The valve leaks when I open it, and drips even when I shut it closed clockwise. Thanks, I tried searching this page and didn't see any previous posts, sorry if I am repeating...

View more questions Search