Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Magalli Posts: 11, Reputation: 5

Nov 9, 2006, 08:16 AM
    Daschund Puppy
    Well I have a Male Daschund Puppy, he is 3 months, named Chopper! His a cuttie! I love him so much, I gut him 2 1/2 weeks ago! I have been taking him outside to putty every single time, and he is doing great! Can you tell me how much puppy food should I feed him? I usually feed him 3 times a Day is that enough? But how much? And is vinegar good for when he has accidents, I mean, so that the odor goes away? And I use 409 for carpet stains, is that good enough? Love to here your opinion, Thanks! Cinthya.
    Attached Images

tre_cani Posts: 117, Reputation: 22

Nov 9, 2006, 08:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Magalli
    Well I have a Male Daschund Puppy, he is 3 months, named Chopper! His a cuttie! I love him so much, I gut him 2 1/2 weeks ago!! I have been taking him outside to putty every single time, and he is doing great!! Can you tell me how much puppy food should I feed him? I usually feed him 3 times a Day is that enought? But how much? And is vinegar good for when he has accidents, I mean, so that the odor goes away? And I use 409 for carpet stains, is that good enought? Love to here your opinion, Thanks!! Cinthya.
    I'll let labman give you the feeding recommendations.

As far as the vinegar goes... I've used distilled white vinegar to clean urine stains on carpet for years. I don't use it as a way to mask odor, though perhaps that's an effect it has. Some believe, and I tend to agree, that if the smell is completely gone, it is harder to train the puppy as he will usually try to find the same spot twice. Which makes it easier for you to watch for signs that the puppy has to go, such as sniffing that spot again.

If you find yourself cleaning constantly, it's time to work a bit harder on training. I recommend crate training, if you're not already using that method. Here's a link to another thread with great advice on crate training:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/c...crate+training

I've found that vinegar works very well (undiluted) in a spray bottle and blotted with paper towels. I haven't used it in a long while now (knock on wood!) but I've used it for years with good results.

... and yes, Chopper is way cute!
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Nov 9, 2006, 10:00 AM
    I have a 10 week old mini doxie and he get 1/4 of a cup of food twice a day. He weighs about 3 1/2 pounds. That is the recommendation on the Science Diet Small Bites puppy food and was confirmed by my vet.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2006, 10:35 AM
    Stick with the 3 times a day until he is 3-4 months old. Package recommendations, charts, averages, or what some other dog is getting is no more than a starting point. Don't try to go by its appetite either. I am afraid Dachshunds may be as bad as many Labs about gulping down more than they need and looking for more. You need to look at the dogs body condition as instructed in this link, http://www.puppychow.com/products/po...condition.aspx

Unfortunately, most puppies come from the breeder too fat. This gets them off to a shorter, more painful life. Dachshunds tend toward back troubles even without the extra burden of excess weight. You don't want to cut a growing puppy's food to where it loses weight. You just want to slow its growth forcing it to convert excess fat to muscle and bone. My Lab Holly was 10 pounds and a butter ball when I got her at 7 weeks. At 3 months, she has a waist, you can easily feel her ribs, but she still needs a little more tuck up behind the chest before I increase the e2 cups a day of Iams puppy chow she is getting.

And anybody is free to pass on that link. I am here to help dogs, not impress people.
    imafagot Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2006, 11:52 AM
    Awww whata cuite pie
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Nov 9, 2006, 12:38 PM
    Labman brings up a good point- doxie's backs are prone to problems. Weight should be monitored as well as jumping onto and off furniture. Doxies are smart but stubborn dogs... keep this in mind. Labman is a wealth of knowledge!! Thanks

Nov 14, 2006, 09:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Magalli
    Well I have a Male Daschund Puppy, he is 3 months, named Chopper! His a cuttie! I love him so much, I gut him 2 1/2 weeks ago!! I have been taking him outside to putty every single time, and he is doing great!! Can you tell me how much puppy food should I feed him? I usually feed him 3 times a Day is that enought? But how much? And is vinegar good for when he has accidents, I mean, so that the odor goes away? And I use 409 for carpet stains, is that good enought? Love to here your opinion, Thanks!! Cinthya.
    Well, thanks labman that's great thank you very much!! Chopper says thank you!

Nov 16, 2006, 07:10 AM
    Thank you everyone for all you good advice for my Daschund Puppy, he has done awesome going to the potty he has not had a accident in the house almost in a week, it's great!! He is eating good and he looks great! Thank to all of you!

Nov 21, 2006, 07:22 PM
    Do you guys know how big will Chopper get his 4 pounds, just wanting to know if you guys had any idea.
    badams007 Posts: 106, Reputation: 12

Nov 21, 2006, 07:42 PM
    I'm really glad the weight thing was so well reviewed too.

I do earthdog and doxies are the only non-terrier breed that does that sport... and it is so very sad to see an older doxie in a cart because of back problems... or one I saw at a shelter one time that could not even walk because it's chest rested on the ground.

While it's important to make sure your pup gets good nutrition, it's also vital to maintain his weight where it should be. And don't hesitate to take him out for obedience classes or earthdog or something else fun the 2 of you can do together.

-Beth
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2006, 08:07 PM
    Earthdog? New to me. So I did a search, http://www.akc.org/events/earthdog/index.cfm Sounds like fun. I also learned about free form dancing recently. Lots of fun things to do with your dog. There was a time when competition was conformation except for a few field trials. We now have obedience, agility, flyball, and likely a bunch more things I haven't heard of yet. The more time you spend with your dog, the richer the life for both of you.

Nov 28, 2006, 08:37 AM
    Thank you so much for worring about Choppers back, I will do my best to take care of him, his growing and doing very good!
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Daschund Puppy Chewing Problems... [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 7mo. Old Daschund puppy. He is the sweetest dog, but he has a MAJOR chewing problem. He has no less than six toys, gets treats twice a day, and has adapted pretty well to potty training. Unfortunately, he chews on other things as well... - carpet - baseboards (he chewed it until...

Help! Aggressive Daschund Puppy... but only with me! [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I have an 11 week year old Alpha Female Daschund. She is such a cutey and I love her a lot. But when I tell her no bite, or I try and discipline her, she growls at me and attacks me. That is the only time she does though and all of the other times she is snugly and loving. She does not do...

Scared Daschund Puppy [ 2 Answers ]

Good morning. I have a beautiful 6 month old daschund puppy called Peanut! Recently she has been acting very weird. She is scared of loud noises and runs away... for instance, when I wash the dishes and they clank against each other it scares her... or when I open a drawer she runs away etc etc....

My daschund [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Daschund that is about 2 and a half years old. She was a stray that dropped into our laps when she was less then a year old, she still had a puppy tooth or two. Anyway, I have noticed that she seems to go through cycles of itching on her back. She does not have fleas. IF I let her she...

When is a puppy not a puppy anymore? [ 3 Answers ]

Our Lhasa is now 10 months old. As a puppy we have had food available pretty much at all times, but maybe he's getting past that now, and for his weight should maybe only be fed about a cup to a cup and a half of his dog meal a day. We have been using Wysong, by the way, and it seems to have a...

View more questions Search