Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wallandsons Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2009, 02:12 PM
    Life Insurance for 86 year old female
    Is there a life insurance policy for a 86 year old female who lives in a nursing home?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2009, 05:57 PM

Life insurance for anyone over the age of 70 is virtually nonexistant or frightfully expensive. You could look into those "tv" life insurance policies for burial insurance but the pay out is not that much.

Essentially no life insurance company is going to insure a person that old and in a nursing home. It would be a lose, lose situation for them.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 21, 2009, 06:05 PM

Not really, you may find a accident policy if they die in a accident.

Also there are a few limited pay policies, they over the first 3 to 5 years only pay you back the premium and then the face amount after that.
    But the fact she is in a nursing home also means her health is poor, so the preimium may be more than you would collect if she died, or close to the same amount
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2009, 07:34 PM

You can look into a Final Expense plan; which is exactly what it sounds like but you're only allowed to take out a certain amount. It is meant only to cover burial expenses; not really meant to leave an inheritance to relatives.

You can check into it but as the others have pointed out the expense of taking out a policy on someone that age wouldn't be worth it to you. You could take the same money and put it into a bank account and save it for the same purpose.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 22, 2009, 06:24 AM

Only thing I would add to the previous posts is that life insurance for someone this age MAY make sense IF her estate is large enough so that significant estate taxes will be due upon her death - in this case life insurance can help offset the loss of value to her heirs, but only as long as the cost of the insurance is less than the estate tax rate (45%). I'm talking about someone with an estate worth at least $3.5 million. However, as noted, life insurance at this age is very expensive, and should not be pursued without a very good analysis by someone intimately familiar with estate tax issues in her state. Given the uncertainties of what's going to happen with estate taxes over the next couple of years, I would be very wary about using this tactic - but again, an expert in the field of estate planning should be consulted.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2009, 11:08 AM

Ebaines - If someone had $3.5 million dollars I don't think they'd be without life insurance at this point in their life as someone would have pointed out to them that it would be a nice thing to have to leave the heirs some money. You did have some good points in your post though.

I am still under the impression that the OP and the lady in the nursing home are not rich folks but everyday ordinary working people who didn't have the money to get an insurance policy taken out years ago and now it's essentially "too late".

I agree with Nikosmom about the burial insurance. My mother had purchased a pre-paid funeral and had that paid off years before she went. It was not that expensive. I think she only paid for the funeral expense for about 1-2 years.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shall I be successful in insurance agency( life insurance corporation of india) [ 2 Answers ]

At present I am a life insurance agent full timer since last 01 year but not much business. I want to know whether I shall be successful in this profession.

30 Year Life Insurance [ 4 Answers ]

I'm looking for an affordable life insurance policy for my husband that is $50,000. He is 54, never smoked. To me affordable is under $100 per month.

Girl says she loves me but not in love me wants to live life female opinion? [ 23 Answers ]

So iwas with her for almost a year everything was fine until this month then I noticed she didn't wany make time or lie to her parents to see me saying her phone is broke can't answer texts or call me back until she's going to bed She's 17 I'm 21 she's in high school which is like in eye view...

20 year old male with 17 year old female in Ohio [ 2 Answers ]

I have a friend who is 20 and the had sex with a 17 year old girl and her mom called the cops and supposedly filed a missing persons report but she wasn't gone for 24 hours . I called her mom and she said that the girl had admitted to them having sex and took her to the hospital and the found semen...

Motgage Insurance vs. Life Insurance [ 6 Answers ]

Hi-- I just bought a new house and am getting solicitations for mortgage insurance if I kick the bucket. I don't want my wife to have to be burdened by mortgage debt. Had thought about getting term life insurance to cover the mortgage amount, what's the better approach??

View more questions Search