Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dennis321 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2009, 09:08 AM
    I seem to have the same business name (DBA) as an already existing one.
    Hi-

What can I do about the following, and do I need to do anything at all?

I have a corp. and am doing business as a DBA. The DBA doesn't have an "inc." at the end, as I don't think it can (my main corp. does, obviously).

When I went to establish a web-site domain, I couldn't get the one with my DBA name - it already exists. So, I established it with an "inc." at the end, and I got the domain registered.

The problem is, I googled the person who had the original domain(my DBA) name, and her business WAS actually an "inc." - she just never established it that way on her website.

(i.e. my scenario: abc - company name; abc, inc. - domain name. Her scenario: abc,inc. -company name; abc - domain name).

She apparently doesn't use this company name any longer (since 2004) - she has a completely new and different company name.

I am in the throes of "re-inventing" and "re-establishing" myself, and am working on all my stationary and web-site graphics. Can I continue using the "inc." after my name, or will this cause potential legal problems?

As I mentioned, I did get the domain name, so I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks -
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2009, 09:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dennis321 View Post
    She apparently doesn't use this company name any longer (since 2004) - she has a completely new and different company name.
    As I mentioned, I did get the domain name, so I'm not sure what to do.
    Hello d:

Keep your stationery and buy her website and/or her domain name.

excon
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 22, 2009, 11:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dennis321 View Post
    ... I have a corp. and am doing business as a DBA. The DBA doesn't have an "inc." at the end, as I don't think it can (my main corp. does, obviously).
    Of course it can.

Acme, Inc. d/b/a "Acme Inc." What would be the problem with that?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2009, 02:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    Of course it can.

Acme, Inc., d/b/a "Acme Inc." What would be the problem with that?

I thought you couldn't use "Inc" as part of "your" name if you are not incorporated.

My business is also a d/b/a and I know I could not file as my name d/b/a as X, Inc. - I had to use my name d/b/a X.

I am not sure about this and would appreciate your input.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 22, 2009, 03:04 PM

I agree, buy her domain name and switch to it.

However, you can use abcinc.com as your website name, but not as a company or DBA name. But I wouldn't if I were you.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 22, 2009, 10:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I thought you couldn't use "Inc" as part of "your" name if you are not incorporated.

My business is also a d/b/a and I know I could not file as my name d/b/a as X, Inc. - I had to use my name d/b/a X.

I am not sure about this and would appreciate your input.
    The OP had a corp and what I was saying it that the corp. may d/b/a the corp.. As I read what you are saying, JudyKT, you don't have a corp to do business with. That's the difference. Although, as a practical matter, I don't know if anybody is going to object. I mean, does NY have a statute prohibiting you from claiming to be a corp. when you are not, and if so, what if any "teeth" does such a statute have?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 23, 2009, 06:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    The OP had a corp and what I was saying it that the corp. may d/b/a the corp.. As I read what you are saying, JudyKT, you don't have a corp to do business with. That's the difference. Although, as a practical matter, I don't know if anybody is going to object. I mean, does NY have a statute prohibiting you from claiming to be a corp. when you are not, and if so, what if any "teeth" does such a statute have?

My Attorney told me that NYS does have such a statute - you cannot claim to be corporation if you are not. If you are not a corporation you are personally responsible for business debts; therefore, you cannot mislead the public into thinking you are a corporation and, therefore, not personally responsible, by claiming to be a corporation.

I would have to look for a Statute and I'm not that interested. Just wondered if anyone knew 100%.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Starting a new business activity under existing LLC company [ 5 Answers ]

Hi There, I am doing business of IT consulting under a LLC company for last few years. I want to start a new business activity of Tax and Management consulting under the same business name. My question is :- Can I just start the new business? Is there any other compliance that I need to...

Buying An Existing Small Fast Food Business [ 5 Answers ]

I'm interested along with 2 other friends in purchasing a small fast food outfit but we really don't know where to begin. I do understand that I will need to come up with a business plan/proposal for starters... if anyone can help me with this, I can get moving in the right direction.:)

Iwish to start a business but I don't have strong finincial baground for business [ 5 Answers ]

I am willing to start a business but I don't have strong baground of business famally or good finiancial support so what kind of business I do need to start I am mba(marketing) post graduate with 4 year of experience and currently working as a erp cunsultant but becase of recesssion my salary is...

Business Being Named the Same as Another Business and Registering a Business [ 3 Answers ]

What if mt business name is taken and how do I register my company or business? :)

Business to business vs Business to Consumer retail [ 1 Answers ]

How does Business to business retail differ from business to consumer retail?

View more questions Search