Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stryger1 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2009, 09:19 PM
    Toilet banging and vibration when filling after water to house turned back on.
    I just bought my first house and ran into a problem with both of the toilets. During the inspection toilet #1 functioned normally. The toilet #2 could not be tested because the valve to it was tuned off.

The previous owners had the water service turned off just prior to my buying it. I had the water turned back on today and I bled all the air out of the lines to the faucets and to the bath tub in bathroom #1. When I turned on the valve to either of the toilets and flush it I get a very loud vibration when the tank fills, and the toilet fills very slowly. I presume this is due to air in the lines.

I am concerned about causing damage by allowing the vibration to go on while bleeding the lines (assuming that air in the lines is the problem). So far I have kept the valves partially closed to reduce the loud noise and vibration. I would appreciate any assistance you can offer!

FYI, the house is a one level ranch built in 1993 and the toilets are of the style that use a floating ball to cut off the water flow.

Thanks!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 19, 2009, 03:40 PM
    Which ballcocks do you have? (see image). Let me know, Tom
    Stryger1 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2009, 04:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Which ballcocks do you have? (see image). Let me know, Tom
    Hello Tom,

I have the type in the right hand image. It looks like the problem has cleared up. Based on something's I read in the forum, I checked it again today and tried something a bit different. I let the tank start filling and got the knocking/vibration with the valve partially cracked open. However, as soon as I opened the cut off valve all the way the knocking went away. It appears that a big part of the problem was having the cut off valve open only part way. As of right now both toilets are functioning normally. I'll keep an eye on it to see if it stays fixed.

I do appreciate your jumping right in to see if you could help out. I expect I'll be back from time to time as I encounter more "new house experiences"!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 20, 2009, 04:51 AM
    No prob Stryger!
    Just let us know if you ever need assistance and we'll be here to help. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water pipe vibration (stops when flushing toilet) [ 33 Answers ]

Hello, I had my basement renovated last year and the problem lies in the water pipe making loud humming and vibrating noise when I use turn on the hot water in the shower. Here's how I reproduce the issue quite often in the shower. 1.) Turn on the shower and let it run (duration is...

Water tank on back of toilet is not filling [ 4 Answers ]

This morning I noticed the fill tank in the rear of the toilet is not filling. All other water supplies in the house are OK. The toilet is not clogged. What can I do?

Water is not filling the toilet tank even when the valve is turned on [ 2 Answers ]

I just had the bathroom floor redone and replaced the toilet. It was working fine until one day I came home from work and the toilet tank was empty and I cannot get the tank to fill with water no matter how much the valve is on

Vibration in house plumbing when any water is turned on [ 15 Answers ]

I just had a new water heater install at my home now when ever I turn any faucet in the house there is a terrible vibration in the water pipes. It doesn't matter if I turn on hot or cold water the vibration is there. When we changed out the water heater we recharged the surge tank on the water...

Banging pipes when water is turned on [ 5 Answers ]

Recently I noticed the house water pressure was higher then usual. I checked and it was 85 psi instead of the usual 50-60. I called a plumber to replace the 20 year old pressure regulator, the pressure now looked good but and then the banging started. This never happened in the previous 20 years....

View more questions Search