Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    romeo1969 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2009, 09:02 PM
    Need to rewire phone jack for dsl
    Need to rewire phone jack for dsl instead of phone.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Sep 17, 2009, 09:35 PM
    Why do you believe so? DSL installation normally does not require modification of the existing phone wiring on the user's end.
    KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

Sep 17, 2009, 10:45 PM
    Hi! romeo1969, and welcome to AMHD :) ; Hi! Scleros,

We have Verizon DSL, and had to place filters that plugged into the wall jacks, then plugged the phone line into the filter.

See:
    How to Use DSL Line Filters

DSL Installation Tutorial - HomeTech Solutions

One other thought... r69... Do you still have the old square 4 prong terminal or where the phone's wire goes behind a wall plate?

Apologies for the commercial :(...
    Install a Phone Jack - How to Install and Replace a Phone Jack Video - About.com

There is also:
    Ask Me Help Desk - Search Results

K
    romeo1969 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2009, 04:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Scleros View Post
    Why do you believe so? DSL installation normally does not require modification of the existing phone wiring on the user's end.
    I have four phone outlets in the house and just got my qwest modem and stuff,but the technicion keeps giving me the run around,so I was going to change one outlet to data line, just don't know how to wire at box and in phone jack.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2009, 05:10 PM

Here is an old post. https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/landli...ng-145653.html

It contains a pic of a splitter at the NID. This is the best way of doing the wiring. The splitter will set you back about >$60. You might be able to get the telco company to do it for free.

I lost my booknmark as to where to possibly get a test jack with no electronics (1/2 ringer) and no jumper. Both can degrade DSL.

I think my NID is an SNI-4600. You can take a look around here: DSL Splitters

That's where I got my splitter.

But, all you have to do is take the DSL modem and plug it into a jack and put a filter on all of the others. There are filters that hang behind wall phones.

If you want to go the filter route, holler, but we would need to know a little bit about your setup, like:

NID model
    NID pic
    Where do the 4 cables terminate (NID, inside, daisy chain)
    DO you have quad wire. Solid colors
    Do you have wires with wht/blu and blu white colors

The modem should be as close to the NID as practical. The wireless access point should be located centrally in the house.

You can plug in your modem and see if you get a DSL light. Takes a few minutes. Without filter and if the DSL light is on, you should hear some white noise in the background on unfiltered phones.

What do you want to do?

You probably got 3 filter
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2009, 05:21 PM
    This woul http://www.tiinettech.com/repository...S015-0108.pdfd be perfect, but it requires opening the Telco side of the NID.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to rewire a phone jack [ 4 Answers ]

I need some help. This house had at one time two different phone lines. We now have only one phone line working. I need to find out how to rewire one of the jacks that was hooked up to the other number. The phone company is going to charge us $120 to come out and do this, but they tell me that...

Rewire a phone jack to the main line [ 3 Answers ]

We recently had a second telephone line disconnected. It currently has no dial tone/calling capabilities. When we asked the phone company, they told us to rewire the jack, but we are not sure what to do. The box outside has wires connected in two different spots (1 = striped orange wires...

How to rewire a phone jack? [ 2 Answers ]

When I moved into my house the original owers had comcast for the phone co, so we went with them. Later on we changed back to qwest for better service options and they came out and rewire one of our phone jacks and at the time we only had them to the one in the kitchen and now I need to get 3...

Rewire phone jack for 2 lines [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering how simple it was to rewire a phone jack for 2 lines. The phone co. charges $100 to do it. Can anyone help?

How to rewire a telephone jack [ 1 Answers ]

Have two lines but only one of them has ADSL. Computer is close to jack connected to line without ADSL. How can this jack be rewired for the line with ADSL? Thanks.

View more questions Search