Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    twhouse Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2006, 09:05 PM
    Hampton bay fan remote control
    What is the best way to trouble shoot the remote / rcvr on the fan?
    1997 vintage, led on remote lights up, fan and light do not respond, other lights on the same
    Ckt, operated by switch work so the ckt is alive.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2006, 12:08 AM
    There's no real way to troubleshoot.. . Confirm the fan is getting power, if so the problem is most likely the receiver.

Does the fan have pullchains at all?

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/c...ng-and-FAQ.php

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/c...e-controls.php
    twhouse Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2006, 09:46 AM
    :) Found it! Dip switch in the remote was out of sequence. Fan is 1997 version, was in the house and working when we bought it 4 years ago, suddenly stopped responding. Finally located the rcvr in the assembly with the lights. Note the fan is remote only, no pull chains.
    Must not have been fully set and in banging the remote around for 9 years it finally shifted.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2006, 05:59 PM
    Never thought the dip switches could move on their own. Glad you got it fixed.
    rgoochcpc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2010, 02:37 PM
    My remote was having the same problem. The red light worked on the remote, but would no longer control the fan. My fan has pull chains. The pull chain for the light would turn it on and off, but the pull chain for the fan wouldn't control the fan. I took twhouse's recommendation and found the dip switches in my remote's battery compartment. Sure enough... one had slipped out of position. Thanks twhouse!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton bay ceiling fan remote control [ 6 Answers ]

Where does the remote sending unit actually install and fit inside the fan?

Hampton Bay Remote Video/fan Remote Control [ 16 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay Video & Fan Remote Control (Model #UR8050T). It has been working fine for about 2 years until it recently began malfunctioning. It still operates the television, but the use of the fan/light features has stopped working. It will not turn the fan on or off, and the light is...

Hampton Bay Thermostatic Ceiling Fan and Light Remote Control [ 2 Answers ]

We bought a Thermostatic Celing Fan and Light Remote Control to go along with a Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan. The fan works great, but when we try to hook up the remote it no longer works. The remote came with no instructions. I am wondering if anyone knows how to install it, or where I can find the...

Hampton bay remote control ceiling fan [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay Windward II 54” ceiling fan and fluorescent lamp with remote control. I replaced the original fluorescent circline lamp with a new one. Now the light won’t turn won’t stay on or dim and the fan operates properly. Any ideas?

Hampton Bay Fan remote control install [ 1 Answers ]

I have purchased a Hampton Bay ceiling fan 198-374 and a wireless remote 191-691. I am sure they are both campatable. But, the booklet for the fan has a warning to reduce the risk of fire do not use this fan with any solid-state fan speed control device. I have installed many ceiling fans but this...

View more questions Search