Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snkeown Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2006, 01:06 PM
    Water leak at floor near toilet mounting bolts
    We noticed occasional water seepage on floor near one of the mounting bolts. I assumed it was a faulty wax seal, so, we removed the toilet bowl, and replaced the seal. We thought the matter was resolved, but, then we observed that especially when there is weight on the toilet, water gushes from this same bolt area on the floor when flushed. Again, it doesn’t do this every time it is flushed, so, I assume there is no stoppage in the drain, and even if so, why would it backup through the drain (and through the seal?) onto the floor rather than the bowl? Any advice is appreciated.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 6, 2006, 01:24 PM
    Yes if there is back up, while the seal is water resistant, it is not water tight, and that is one of the places you will see water if there is a back up.
    ( I know that first hand, I had a plumbing nightmare this weekend)
    Texas Tom Posts: 46, Reputation: 4

Nov 7, 2006, 04:46 PM
    It may be that the wax seal is not thick enough. There are standard height seals & extended height seals. Suggest you try an extended height seal. If installed properly, there should be no leak under the toilet.

Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

CI drain/toilet mounting [ 2 Answers ]

Part I. I replaced the toilet in my lower level family room on a “temporary” basis-it's a long story but I needed a working toilet.:) The flange is cast iron and connected to a cast iron drain. The flange was still good, but a portion of the pipe, the upper edge towards the back of the toilet,...

Leak from second floor shower [ 4 Answers ]

I've seen some posts on this subject but haven't been able to find a direct answer to my question so please excuse me if this information exists here already, but... I just moved into a new home and I have a leak coming form my second floor shower - a one piece fiberglass stall. Prior to...

Toilet leak at mounting bolts [ 4 Answers ]

I have a mid-80's Crane toilet. I can not get it to stop leaking from the two mounting bolts. I've tried replacing the washers & bolts, cleaning the porcelein with scouring pad, and even using plumbers putty. Nothing works! I've tried tightening and loosening the bolts. I'm at my wits end and...

First Floor Shower Tile Leak [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I Just Got My Shower Re-done And Its All Tile Top To Bottom. We Have Tile Floor. We Have A Leak Where The Tile From The Floor Meets The Tile Step To The Shower, I Looked And Saw A Hole In The Grout Where I Think It Is Coming From. We Don't Hear Any Constant Running Water Or Anything, Is It...

Leak at the basement floor [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I noticed that the iron pipe from my kitchen sink that runs down the basement wall is leaking right at the basement floor. The floor is tile over cement. I see what appears to be a little rust stain on the floor. I see a little hole just behind the pipe (not on the pipe) coming out of the...

View more questions Search