Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brandy09 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2009, 10:16 AM
    What cost would be considered a period cost not a product cost.
    Which of the following is a period cost and not a product cost?
    A.Manufacturing equipment depreciation
    B.propery taxes on headquarters
    C.direct material cost
    E. Sales commissions
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2009, 06:04 PM

Product costs are direct material, direct labor and manufacturing overhead.

Period costs are selling and administrative costs.
    rehmanvohra Posts: 739, Reputation: 27

Sep 11, 2009, 11:32 PM

which of the following is a period cost and not a product cost?
    A.Manufacturing equipment depreciation
    Period cost since such costs will occur every period and are not affected by the changes in volume of production.

B.propery taxes on headquarters
    Period cost - same as a above

C.direct material cost
    Product cost (manufacturing)- it will change with the change in the volume of production
    E. Sales commissions
    Product cost (non manufacturing) - it will change with the change in volume of sales

Please remember that variable costs are considered as product costs. Some of the manufacturing overhead may be considered as product costs if they are variable but the fixed overheads are always period costs.
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2009, 06:48 PM

Since you're always asking me for my sources, I'll ask you.

Where do you find that "period" cost means something that isn't affected by changes in production? That's known as a fixed cost.

Where do you find that sales commissions is a product cost? It's a selling expense.

You seem to be relating product and period as more to do with variable and fixed as opposed to what they're related to. The only way that could be true is if other locations do it differently than we do, and I've never seen evidence of that.
    rehmanvohra Posts: 739, Reputation: 27

Sep 12, 2009, 11:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by morgaine300 View Post
    Since you're always asking me for my sources, I'll ask you.

Where do you find that "period" cost means something that isn't affected by changes in production? That's known as a fixed cost.

Where do you find that sales commissions is a product cost? It's a selling expense.

You seem to be relating product and period as more to do with variable and fixed as opposed to what they're related to. The only way that could be true is if other locations do it differently than we do, and I've never seen evidence of that.
    Please refer to CIMA terminology. If you do not have it please let me know, I will mail it to you.
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2009, 11:34 PM

I went to their website. The U.S. is not even listed.

So once again, we have a situation where neither of us know the correct answer because we don't know where the poster is from.

(I should check into requiring a country be listed if someone wants to post on forums where it could be relevant.)
    alexah101 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2012, 04:07 PM
    Answer is B, A is actually a manufacturing cost, thus a product cost. It relates to the manufacturing of the product
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Sep 23, 2012, 05:04 PM
    Having followed this discussion there is not a great deal of understanding of the maufacturing process

manufacturing costs include both fixed and variable costs and are costs that are related to the production of goods. Depending upon which system is used to determine product cost, these costs may or may not be included in product cost.

other costs such as selling, distribution, administration which are related to functions outside of the manufacturing process are not considered manufacturing costs

The answer to the specifc question above is B.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Average cost, fifo cost, lifo cost [ 1 Answers ]

In may they began with 67 tents @ $17 and purchases of: 104 tents @ $19 159 tents @ $21 36 tents @ $22 They sold 314 tents and may 31st ending inventory consists of 52 tents. The sales price of each tent was $49. Determine the cost of goods sold and ending inventory for the month of may...

Cost of end. Inv. And cost of goods sold under average cost [ 1 Answers ]

It's me again! I have another question to the same problem. In case someone else responds, I'll post the problem again. June 1 inv20051000 June 12 purch.30061800 June 23 purch. 50073500 June 30 inv. I need to compute the cost of the ending inventory and the cost of goods sold using the...

View more questions Search