Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    okie12 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2006, 07:54 PM
    Kenmore 70 series washing machine
    I have a kenmore 70 series washing machine, the machine will not agitate, or when it does it moves very little, the spin cycle does not work. The timer seems to be working, because it moves and goes through its process and stop. Does anyone have any ideas which would help me with the problem. Like I said it's a kenmore 70 series model number 11020702990.
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2006, 09:52 AM
    I think this model is belt driven? Check the belt

Nov 6, 2006, 05:52 PM
    Thanks esquire, but there are no belts, it has a transmission. I check for loose belts or worn, but did not find any. I was reading from someone else problem, they too, wash and drains, but does not spin, but goes through the cycle, and finishes. The answer was to check the lid switch, could that be my problem too. Waiting for answer. Thanks
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Nov 7, 2006, 09:04 AM
    OK yours is direct drive. Could be the couplers. Yes check the lid switch for continuity. Checking further these unit did have a timer issue. Also a bad motor or transmisson or clutch will also cause these symptoms.

Nov 7, 2006, 06:24 PM
    Thanks again esquire1, I guess its time for the pro. The repair man lol. I appreicate your help and time. Laterzzzz
    claudiaswt Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2008, 05:20 PM
    My washing machine model is kenmore 70 series and serial number is SM 971 0804-A. The belt was broken. I ordered another one. I tried to unscrew and put the belt back in but couldn't because it is bigger than the hole. Is there any way that I am able to get the manual? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    TEN96 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2008, 12:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by okie12
    i have a kenmore 70 series washing machine, the machine will not agitate, or when it does it moves very little, the spin cycle does not work. the timer seems to be working, because it moves and goes through its process and stop. does anyone have any ideas which would help me with the problem. like i said its a kenmore 70 series model number 11020702990.
    I'm still looking for exact information, but I'm on to something. I don't know about your spin cycle, but I have the agitate problem, too.
    I removed the fabric softener dispenser and popped-off the cover below it. There are 4 little wedges in there that appear to have gone bad. They are supposed to "grip" the agitator, rotate it partly, and let it go. They aren't gripping. They appear worn.
    I'm searching for the parts.
    If you are handy, I'd rate this repair on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the hardest to fix, and 1 being the easiest, a 3 due to the needed tools.
    I'm working on more complete information, and will definitely share ASAP.
    -Terry
    Alexis0124 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2009, 02:41 PM
    I have the same problem with my Kenmore 70 series washer. I replaced the agitator "dogs" but that was not the problem. It's a good thing they only cost $10. Anyway, I was told that it could be the coupler. However, this requires turning the machine over and getting into the motor. I'd go with your advice on getting a repairman because it's not worth the back-breaking work.
    tkirman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2009, 02:29 PM
    OK I went through the same thing and today I tackled the coupler.. its worn but doesn't look bad enough to cause problem with the spin cycle, I'm going after transmission now.
    isabelx40 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2009, 11:24 AM
    I have the same model and pretty much the same problem. The bottom part of the agitator will rotate but the top part does not seem to be doing it's job. I found the users manual online at "managemyhome.com" the only problem is they really do not give very much information to help out with the issue that I am having. After looking at what everyone else has tried I think the first thing to try will be taking off the fabric softener cup and seeing if those grippers have gone bad? Maybe after years of pulling laundry out we have just tugged that top half off and it is not gripping correctly and somehow just needs to be popped back into place? Who knows it might work or at least it is worth a try before I start tearing apart the whole machine and calling in the repair guys. I will let you know if it works. Wish me luck.
    gapro Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2009, 11:34 AM
    Were I can I find the top part ?
    bsaucer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2010, 03:46 PM
    If the upper agitator won't work right, replace the "dogs" inside the agitator. If the lower part won't work right, and it won't spin right, you probably have a worn coupler. The lid must be closed for it to spin. Or you can stick a pencil or screwdriver into the lid switch hole to test. To replace coupler, you must remove the outer cabinet. Then remove pump and motor to replace three-piece coupler. Then reassemble.
    steelbreach Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2013, 01:30 PM
    How does the kenmore series 70 go into the second spin cycle? Is it something that you have to reset after the wash has been through its first washing?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search