Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BJMeltz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2009, 01:56 PM
    I Got Fired. Now My Former Employer Won't Stop Harassing Me
    After nearly 10 yrs, my boss fired me. I left peacefully. Since then, I applied for unemployment and said good-bye to my former clients. This was nearly 3 weeks ago. I am not currently working. I do not own my own business. I am seeking assistance from the NYS DOL Self-Employment Assistance Program, but no one has contacted me back yet from that office.

My former boss is a lawyer in NYS, by the way...

My boss and his number 1 keep sending me emails, accusing me of trying to steal their clients. They say that if I don't stop, they will block my unemployment and come after me legally. I haven't solicited any clients. Several have contacted me since I left, but no one offered me a job and I didn't ask for one. I have no on-going communications.

I let them know I wasn't soliciting business. They told me they sent a letter to all their clients and contacts about me. They won't tell me what was in the letter. They just keep accusing me of doing things I'm not doing, and threatening me to stop actions I'm not committing.

They are making me terribly afraid to try to open my own business or find another job. They will not stop. What can I do?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 9, 2009, 02:18 PM

They may send a letter saying you are not longer with the company and anything that is true of course.

And unless you have a non compete agreement with the firm, you could actually go after any of the customers if you want.

The only rule to unemployment is if you are working, you report any income you are making.

So they try to block unemployment, most employers I know of do anyway, they deny it the first time and make you appeal.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 9, 2009, 03:12 PM

Contact one of the clients you are closest to and ask for a copy of that letter or e-mail.

If they said anything in that communication that you can prove was untrue, you have a case against the former employer. However, since he's a lawyer I expect he knew how to word it to stay out of legal trouble.
    BJMeltz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2009, 04:21 AM
    I finally got a copy of the email they sent, and it doesn't appear to lie about me. It does clearly show, however, that my firing was planned and I did not quit as they are now claiming.

I received a series of additional, threatening emails from the company yesterday, warning me not to communicate, respond to, or in any way associate with any individual or company that has ever worked with my former employer. I am not contacting their clients. Their clients are contacting me with the intention of leaving them. My former company says that if I so much as respond to any of the inquiries, it is "a completion of the direct solicitation." Of course, the direct solicitation by me to their clients that they cite never happened. They have me so afraid of retaliation, I'm afraid to sneeze for fear it may sound offensive!

I do not and never have had a contract, non-disclosure or non-compete agreement with the company. Nothing of the sort was ever offered to me. I'm afraid to bring it up, though, because they have a copy of my signature for use on client service contracts and other documentation issued from my former division. They can put my signature onto anything they'd like and it would be nearly impossible for me to prove it wasn't real.

Is this something the local DA would be able to help with, or the Attorney General? I can't afford a private lawyer. I worked for 10 years, was the original company co-founder, rarely got reimbursed for expenses, had to supply my own supplies, was on for most holidays and weekends, received less insurance coverage than anyone else, worked 50-80 hour weeks with no compensation (just my salary), was responsible for getting going away/get well/congratulation gifts for other people at my own expense, and was traditionally paid $20k or less than the men in the company (even temporary hires). My office was at the back of the building next to the bathroom, past several empty offices closer to the front part of the building where there is heat/AC/sunlight, and doubled as a storeroom. The job cost me more than it paid me and I have nothing to show for 10 years invested!

My former employer is a lawyer, but not a popular one. His law practice has lost all its other lawyers, paralegals, researchers, etc. leaving only him running the place. From working there, I know almost everyone's business that ever came into contact with him because he simply loves to spread negative gossip about everyone. And I didn't even work with his law office: I was with the Web Services division.

He is an expert for getting a lot of tax-payer money for other business "projects", which invariably fail. He then walks away and the tax-payer is left paying for the defaulted loans. This has involved millions of dollars over the past several years. He is always in the news in a negative way. Can this be used to discredit him and the company so they'll leave me alone?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2009, 05:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BJMeltz View Post
    My former company says that if I so much as respond to any of the inquiries, it is "a completion of the direct solicitation." Of course, the direct solicitation by me to their clients that they cite never happened. They have me so afraid of retaliation, I'm afraid to sneeze for fear it may sound offensive!
    Hello bj:

You came here looking for advice. The Padre gave you GOOD advice and you should LISTEN to him... Unless you signed a non compete agreement, you can call ANYBODY your like - even your old customers... You can start a company that competes with him and steal EVERY single one of his clients. You can send him a letter telling him that you are going to do so...

The bottom line is, you're doing NOTHING wrong or illegal. That would be NOTHING. Since you're doing NOTHING wrong, you don't need the help of the DA or anybody - just the Padre and you got it.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2009, 09:46 AM

I will add to what Excon said that information about the popularity and trust worthiness of your former employer can very well come back to bite you.

I would remain professional and follow FrChuck's advice. You worked in the industry. If you have questions/concerns, run this past an Attorney to make certain you are covered.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 10, 2009, 05:28 PM

I would consider filing a complaint with the local Bar association. Since you did not have a non-compete agreement he has no legal grounds to tell you not to contact his clients or prevent them from contacting you.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2009, 06:03 PM

Scott - You beat me to it. I was definitely going to suggest contacting the County Bar Association and running past them all the emails and threats and see what they think. This is highly unprofessional conduct for an attorney to keep doing to you. There has to be an end to this man's behavior. Maybe the Bar can do something about it or at least put this man on notice that he is acting in a highly unprofessional manner. You may want to gather all your paperwork and make an appointment to sit down face to face with someone at the County Bar and speak with them. I worked for the President of a County Bar Association and that man took such actions by another attorney very seriously, very seriously and he definitely would have given you his time to tell your story.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to stop a neighbor from harassing my family [ 6 Answers ]

Hello all, Forgive me , first time using the site I have an Issue with a neighbor harassing me and my family, we live in a townhouse/condo and we share a porch which is considered a common area unfortunately Well this neighbor and his friends and family all hangout there smoking and...

What can I do to stop my neighbor from harassing us? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello everyone! I am a new member and I hope someone can help me with my problem! I live in the South Bay, part of Los Angeles County. I have a "neighbor" (and I use that term loosely) who has been harassing us every since we moved in 3 years ago. She has turned it into a battle over...

I was fired because of statements from a former employer [ 9 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone could help me? I am 100% sure I was fired last week because of statements made by my former employer to my THEN current employer. My current employer knew many things he could not have known without speaking to my former manager. For example my then boss know all about...

How can I stop a collection agency from harassing me? [ 3 Answers ]

I get 5-10 calls a day, and it is really getting krazy, is there anything I can do?

View more questions Search