Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MCC-Maintenance Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2009, 11:38 AM
    Sloan Flushmate running constantly
    I was wondering what to do about a Sloan Flushmate that runs constantly. It is not running into the ballast water tank, but discharging out the relief valve and going into the toilet bowl. Any way to fiz this?

Thank so much for your time and energy! :)
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 9, 2009, 02:22 PM
    Hi MCC:

Check with your local plumbing supply house. They should have a repair kit available for exactly this situation!

Good luck!

MARK

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 9, 2009, 03:58 PM
    This may help. Click on; "Sloan FLUSHMATE Flushometer-Tank System">
    Good luck, Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 9, 2009, 09:54 PM

There is a shut off valve on the Flushmeter, hiden in the 90 degree ell. Usually, it is covered with either Snap On or Crew In chrome cap. Remove the cap and close water with flat screwdriver.

Now, remove the large 5" cap, there is a vacuum breaker rubber disk and few other parts. Remove them and take them with you to Home Depot. They now carry Sloan repair parts. Or go to more professional store, like Ferguson Enterprises. Also, if you have time, order it on-line for the best price.

BE CAREFUL: there are about 18 different Flushmeter models. In addition, they can be for urinals or toilets and can be either full flush or low flush. Not all are parts can be installed on other valves. Purchase the right part, install in in back order, turn water ON. Now, you should be back in business...

See this link to ID your flushmeter valve: http://www.sloanplumbingparts.com/fl...e-flushometers.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 10, 2009, 03:20 AM
    Hi all:

Milo... MCC is talking about a sloan FLUSHMATE toilet tank... not a sloan flushometer... ;) Check it out at the link provided by Tom.

Best advice is for MCC to go to a local plumbing supply house and pick up the relief valve repair kit as I advised earlier. Tom's link has great instructions on replacing unit.

Thanks...

MARK

Sep 10, 2009, 06:32 AM

All right, thank you so much everyone. I did a little more troubleshooting and found out, on the elbow with the "relief valve", there is a cap and inside the cap is a spring and a seal with an o-ring. After flushing the toilet the water prcoeeds to come out of the "relief valve" rather than filling up the tank, however, if I place my finger over the exit a couple times in intervals, it seems like the o-ring seal then catches and stops the process... I don't know if this helps at all, or if I should still go to the plumbing store and get a replacement...

Thanks so much!
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 10, 2009, 08:08 AM
    Once these relief valves activate they need to be replaced... ;)

Off to the supply store for you!

Sep 15, 2009, 07:00 AM

Thank you! :)
    Glenn Gines Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2015, 10:22 PM
    Ok I had the same issue what I did just now is this... Remove the cartridge and turn the thing underneath the cartridge clockwise or counterclockwise depending on how tight or loose it is , it took me like 3x (removing the cartridge turning it a bit putting it back) finding the right adjustment but just be patient and you'll get it right. Good luck!!

FYI you can do it because I'm not even good with this things and I have done it.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 11, 2015, 05:45 PM
    Hi Glenn

Was your system running AND discharging out the relief valve? I'm not sure how spinning the cartridge in and out would repair the relief valve...

Let me know more, OK?

Mark
    Mike45plus Posts: 230, Reputation: 27

Sep 13, 2015, 06:04 AM
    MCC,
    Contact tech support at Sloan Flushmate, they issued a safety bulletin / recall notice on all units manufactured between 1997 & 2009. There is the potential for the pressure vessel to rupture in a violent manor. Flushmate will ship you a repair kit and installation instructions if your unit is included in the recall.
    Tech support can also guide you through repairing units not involved in the recall, and sometimes repair parts can be had for free...
    Alexman216 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2016, 02:29 PM
    Hello Everyone,

My Sloan Flushmate is really old, guessing 20 years, so way passed it's warranty, but I have replaced the flush cartridge, lower supply group and upper supply group. So I'm becoming an expert. My latest problem was that the water kept on running constantly. You can hear the water trickling on but the unit still worked. Its just a big waste of water. It also started to make a screeching sound at end of a flush. So I was tinkering with the possible problems and followed all the YouTube videos for any fixes. I narrowed it down to the cartridge which was only 2-3 years old. This was an actual Flushmate product and the plumbing guy at store said it should last at least 5 years. The original cartridge was over 10 years old. I finally took the cartridge out and the ring seal washers at top and bottom looked fine. I took it apart by unscrewing the inner spine rod. It came apart easily. I stretched out the spring and made sure the washer at the top was lined up properly before I reassembled the unit back together again. Hand tightening that inner spine back in. This could have been the problem, it loosens and causes an improper seal into the toilet. Bottom line running water stopped. Hope this helps.

Alee
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2016, 06:29 PM
    Considering the original post was 2009, probably long repaired. Thanks for the input but please note the original posting date first.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A/C constantly running cooling air very slowly [ 1 Answers ]

American Standard unit, manufacture date of '99, was freezing up, cleaned the exterior unit of build up & debris. Now there is Ice build up on indoor coil. Water on basement floor. The A/C is constantly running trying to cool the air, which it does over time. Just tonight it was 76 in the house...

Toilet constantly running. [ 6 Answers ]

My toilet has been running for 3 days. I've tried everything, including cleaning out the tank to remove any deposits that may have been the problem. I've had this problem before, and I've always fixed it. I would just shut the water off, but whoever installed it didn't put a shutoff valve on the...

View more questions Search