Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    beverly a Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2009, 01:57 PM
    Repair riding lawn mower
    How do I change the blade engage cable on a 42 inch troy built riding lawn mower #6605 model.. Thank you. Beverly a:)
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 8, 2009, 02:29 PM

Blade cable, do you mean the belt?

Sep 8, 2009, 05:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Blade cable, do you mean the belt??
    It is a cable to the PTO lever used in order to make the blades turn. I had a broken cable a month ago and had a new cable installed. Now the cable has broke again. I think I can replace the cable myself. I looked underneath and found the broken cable and I think I see how it is installed to the PTO lever.

If you have any suggestions I would appreciate it. Mower is a 42 inch Troy Built Super Bronco.

Thank you again.

Beverly A
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Sep 8, 2009, 08:34 PM

Hi,
    Cable should be a 746-04092 and it has hairpin cotters at both ends. If it failed that quickly, something else is wrong or not quite right.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Sep 9, 2009, 05:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by crigby View Post
    Hi,
    Cable should be a 746-04092 and it has hairpin cotters at both ends. If it failed that quickly, something else is wrong or not quite right.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    Thanks for the information. I also found that same part number in my manuel. I think I should be able to replace it. I did hit a log with the mower about two weeks ago, maybe that cause the cable to weaken. Thanks again. Beverly A:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lawn chief riding lawn mower forward and reverse [ 4 Answers ]

The lawn mower will not go forward or reverse, What should I check to fix this problem?

John Deer Riding Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, I have a John Deer Riding Lawn Mower LX 173. It won't start. It ran fine last fall and I have a new battery on it. It will start with the help of starting fluid and run for just a second and then shut off. I found a hose disconnected on it but I'm not sure where it goes. It was laying...

Riding Lawn Mower Repair [ 1 Answers ]

I believe the motion drive belt on my craftsman lawn mower is stretched. The belt is in place and is correctly run through the pulleys but there is a lot of slack with the belt. The machine will creep forward or back but barely at all.. How do I know if the belt is stretched? Thanks.

View more questions Search