Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    skoolmom28 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2006, 10:13 AM
    School age children home alone in Indiana
    Hi there. I am a very concerned, loving parent of a 10-year-old and a 12-year-old. Both children are very responsible. I normally work from home, but about two to four days per month (never consecutive) I am required to work in the office for various reasons as part of my job. I have no family here to help me out, or do I have the means for child care.

My question is, according to Indiana Laws, are my children allowed to stay home alone after school on those days that I have to be in the office? They are responsible for calling me as soon as they get home and doing their homework. They also are not allowed to leave the house, have friends over, cook ANYTHING, or answer the door or phone (unless it is my work number on the caller ID).

I do worry about this as it is a very frowned upon subject, but at the same time, I do trust my children whole heartily and feel like they are responsible enough to be home alone for 2 to 3 hours but never any longer then that.

:confused:
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 6, 2006, 11:05 AM
    I don't know the Indiana laws, but in many places 12 year olds can babysit younger kids. The only time I would be concerned about this is if someone, with an ax to grind against you, decided to report you to the local children and families agency.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 6, 2006, 01:56 PM
    Normally the way it has worked in several states where I have had dealings with child welfare is that they is no set age by law, only that they be mature and safe.

And nothing happens until someone reports it, and then if all is OK, nothing happens, but if something happens, there is a problem, a fire in the building, some emergancy, that is where everyone second quesses your decission.
    skoolmom28 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2006, 12:46 PM
    Thank you for your input. This does put my mind at ease a bit. I do feel like we live in a safe area, but in this day and age, you just never know... with that said, I think I will continue to go with my gut and knowing that my children are responsible enough and know the "rules of being home alone". As I am a concerned parent, I welcome all input and advise. :)
    karent23 Posts: 133, Reputation: 8

Nov 20, 2007, 10:02 AM
    Times have changed since we were kids... I remember being left home when I was 4 and my oldest brother was 7.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Disease makes children appear to age quickly [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am trying to find the name of a disease that makes children appear to age very quickly.. Any information anyone can give me will be very helpful. I saw this on a talk show years ago but cannot think of what it was. Children around the ages of 8-10 looked like they were small senior...

Seton Home Study School [ 8 Answers ]

This is a Catholic Home School course. I am trying to find out as much about them as can. I have went over almost every line on every page on their site and all of the links. I am trying to find someone that has perhaps had experience with them or know people that have used them.

Adult children sharing home w/mom but not responsibilities [ 6 Answers ]

But not sharing the housekeeping responsibilities~!~? (to say “taking advantage of” is an understatement) I moved back home about 2 years ago. My older sister (43 to my 42), about 2 years earlier. She occupies two rooms to my one. We both work full-time as does my mother. My hope (when I...

Children being harassed at school by teachers [ 5 Answers ]

My little girl informed me today that a woman at school stopped her in the hallway and started asking her a lot of personal questions about home in front of the other students. She asked her if every thing at home was okay, if she was being fed, what did she eat for dinner the other night? Things...

Working on school website from home [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm new to this, so I hope this isn't a stupid question! I'm going to be working on the website for the school where I work. Is it possible to access the site to work on it from home, or is it something that has to be done from the same computer at all times? I'll be using FrontPage, which...

View more questions Search