Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kwats Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2009, 11:23 AM
    Steering Gear For Troy Built Mower
    I have last years troy built 42 inch mower, and the small gear that is on the shaft to the steering wheel is in bad shape and needs replaced. Where do I start to get the gear off ? Any help would be much appreciated.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Sep 6, 2009, 11:45 AM

Hi,
    First you are still in warranty. The shaft should be held in place from underneath by a bolt in the center of it. Keep track of washer, spacers, etc.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Sep 6, 2009, 11:49 AM

Thanks

Sep 6, 2009, 05:24 PM

One more thing, is that gear and the shaft one piece? I hope so cause I can't get it off the shaft. And where do I need to look to purchase a new one?

Sep 6, 2009, 05:34 PM

Hi,
    Yes they are usually one piece with the splines formed in a press.
    You have not stated a model number, but I will say in my looking around for answers, I see a lot of prices even though I am seeking other info. This place seems to beat anyone pricewise if they have the part. They do not have all brands; and I have no affiliation. If you would like to comparison shop, tell me and I can give you others. Give me the model number and I will look it up. Also consider replacing the bushing it rides in as it can cause the failure of a new shaft if worn.
    MTD Lawn mower Parts, MTD lawnmower and MTD push mower parts
    Peace,
    Clarke

Sep 6, 2009, 07:17 PM

It is a troy built 42 inch cut 17.5hp and model number is 13AN77TG

Sep 6, 2009, 09:28 PM

Hi,
    Steering shaft 738-0919, bushing #741-04124, and the "cap" may be #748-0389 will be the part numbers.
    I am sorry you had this happen; I still think it should be done under warranty. I replace all parts listed when doing this repair.
    Checj steering for proper toe-in as bent steering can cause this. I suspect that this is the source. Hard to turn the steering wheel? Force it around? Tires/wheels that point outward when pointed forward? BIG problem!
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to fix my troy built lawn mower [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to locate the drain whole to my oil bin on my troy built riding lawn mower but I can't seem to find it

Troy built lawn mower. [ 7 Answers ]

I bought a lawn mower 2 yrs ago from Lowe's and the cut off bar you squeeze got harder and harder to squeeze and then the mower wouldn't start and the squeeze handle finally broke. I put in the model number and it and comes up no model number found. Now they can't tell me its obsolete already. But...

New troy built mower [ 1 Answers ]

Mower emits black and then grey smoke when cold started then smoke stops and runs fine after that. Is 21" push mower.

Troy Built Mower [ 2 Answers ]

Where is the bolt to change the oil found?

Troy-bilt riding mower steering problems [ 1 Answers ]

I'm having problems with the steering on my troy bilt mower. It turns left OK but when you go to turn right it seems the steering gears are not connecting. I sent it in to change the d upper and lower drive belts and they also changed a couple of pulleys. When I got it back the steering seemed...

View more questions Search