Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Sep 4, 2009, 03:00 PM
    Is microchipping a good idea?
    Hey guys. I'm so excited as Tuesday I will be starting my first job(just turned 17). And I can't wait to have my own money. My first order of business,updating Rex's rabies shot as well as his parvo, distemper... and others. I just got a letter in the mail today saying that he needs his vaccinations again as it has been a year since we did it. So I'll be able to make an appointment sometime in the next 1-2 weeks. And in a couple of more months I'll have enough saved up to get my two cats vaccinated, for rabies and whatever else is suggested by the vets.

Anyway I was starting to think more about getting my dog as well as my cats microchipped. My dog currently wears two ID tags, but they could fall off. And with my dog being trained to the ingroung fence he now has more freedom then when he was tied. He's just to precious, you know if I ever lost him I don't know what I'd do. Also my 2 cats are outdoors a lot and they don't like wearing collars, also if they do wear collars they normally get it tangled around there paws which could cause injury. So I would like them to get microchipped also.

When I was working at the vet, through school they told me Microchipping was painful for the pets. I don't want to to cause them too much pain:eek:!

So anyone who has had their pets microchipped, or anyone who knows about this could you please post some info, like is it dangerous for the pets, how does it work and what would the price be, for dogs as well as cats.

Thanks everyone...
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2009, 03:28 PM

They'll get over it.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2009, 03:33 PM
    Both of my dogs are chipped, and as I understood it, it was like getting a shot. The chip is in the needle and then injected.
    I don't think it hurts, no one cryed or even yelped.

You have to fill out some papers and mail away to the chip people and then you are on a register.

They would have to catch you pup first though!:D
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 4, 2009, 03:37 PM

It's done with a hypodermic needle, just like any vaccination. The pain is brief; the benefits are huge. Although prices vary depending on the vet, a typical implantation costs between $25 and $65.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2009, 05:12 PM

Any pain is short-lasting. The needle is rather large, and it seems more painful for the owners to watch than the dog to actually receive.

Benefits are great though. We just had a dog come in to our clinic last week with no collar or tags, but had a microchip, and the dog had managed to run 2 hours to get to us. He slipped his collar, and if he didn't have a microchip, the chances of us finding his owner were slim to nil considering the location.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2009, 12:23 AM

Definitely microchip!
    Like Sariss said, the pain is only brief and it heals fast.

Think of getting your ears pierced, there is a sharp pain and then it's all over.

I'm not sure if it is the same in America but here is Aus, after they are microchipped you have to fill out papers with their unique number on the chip, write your details (address, name phone number etc) and then send it off the local council with a small fee.

Don't use microchipping as an excuse for them not to wear tags though, there was an incident here where there was a huge storm and a ladys fence blew over, her two huskies escaped and were shot by police.
    They were microchipped but were not wearing a collar and tags so the police "assumed" they were unregistered :rolleyes:
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2009, 12:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Definately microchip!

Think of getting your ears pierced, there is a sharp pain and then it's all over.

I'm not sure if it is the same in America but here is Aus, after they are microchipped you have to fill out papers with their unique number on the chip, write your details (address, name phone number etc) and then send it off the the local council with a small fee.

Don't use microchipping as an excuse for them not to wear tags though, there was an incident here where there was a huge storm and a ladys fence blew over, her two huskies escaped and were shot by police.
    They were microchipped but were not wearing a collar and tags so the police "assumed" they were unregistered :rolleyes:
    Unregistered dogs get shot in Australia?
    Is it because of the Dingo or something?
    Totally ignorant here.
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2009, 01:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by artlady View Post
    Unregistered dogs get shot in Australia?
    Is it because of the Dingo or something?
    Totally ignorant here.
    No, apparently they were going to "attack" the police officers, witnesses say they were merely walking through an empty field in an out of town area.

Stray dogs get picked up by the local shelter or council :)

Edit - Just to add, on the island where I live we don't have Dingos, they are only on mainland Australia :)
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2009, 01:29 AM
    No, apparently they were going to "attack" the police officers, witnesses say they were merely walking through an empty field in an out of town area.

Stray dogs get picked up by the local shelter or council :)

Edit - Just to add, on the island where i live we don't have Dingos, they are only on mainland Australia :)
    Oh my thank goodness,in my ignorance I thought all unleashed or untagged dogs were shot.
    Wow,good to know that isn't happening.
    Are the Dingos a problem on the mainland?
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2009, 01:55 AM

No, those particular police offers were just idiots. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure to be honest, they have been going on about the camels a lot in the news, haven't heard about the dingos haha

I'm not a very good Australian, I have never seen a Dingo or a Koala :o
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2009, 02:21 AM

LOL!I have so many questions for you ,I love Australia ,I know it's a continent but I 'm fancinated by all of it!I know you can't possibly know about an entire continent.LOL.Unless you're a history teacher:)
    Hahaha, history was never my strong point!
    Well, I can tell you that where I live we have Kangaroos, Wallabies, Tasmanian Devils, Quoll, Platypus, and we used to have Tasmanian Tigers until the locals decided to shoot them all :rolleyes:
    DPIW - Tasmanian Tiger

Oops, sorry for hi-jacking Rex!
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2009, 02:29 AM
    Hahaha, history was never my strong point!
    Well, I can tell you that where I live we have Kangaroos, Wallabies, Tasmanian Devils, Quoll, Platypus, and we used to have Tasmanian Tigers until the locals decided to shoot them all :rolleyes:
    DPIW - Tasmanian Tiger

Oops, sorry for hi-jacking Rex!
    Sorry too for the high jack.. just one more to say I will not do that anymore,it was all me :o
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Sep 5, 2009, 02:47 AM
    Definately microchip!

I'm not sure if it is the same in America but here is Aus, after they are microchipped you have to fill out papers with their unique number on the chip, write your details (address, name phone number etc) and then send it off the the local council with a small fee.

That's horrible! And don't worry my dog will always have his 2 ID tags on. And where I'm at in Canada, Nova Scotia you don't get your dogs registered... I think in the bigger cities you have to though.
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2009, 03:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rex123 View Post
    That's horrible! And don't worry my dog will always have his 2 ID tags on. And where I'm at in Canada, Nova Scotia you don't get your dogs registered... I think in the bigger cities you have to though.
    Oh my goodness Nova Scotia is so beautiful! My son and his father went there and the pictures,aww amazing,so incredibly beautiful!
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2009, 03:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rex123 View Post
    Yeah, it makes it hard living in another country.
    Here, every town/city/village is part of a council, sometimes they can cover a huge rural area and you are only allowed a certain amount of dogs and they have to be registered.
    If you want more than 2 dogs you have to apply for a kennel license and advertise in the local paper.
    If anyone sees the advertisement and objects then you don't get your license.
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2009, 04:08 AM
    [QUOTE=shazamataz;1963993]Yeah, it makes it hard living in another country.
    Here, every town/city/village is part of a council, sometimes they can cover a huge rural area and you are only allowed a certain amount of dogs and they have to be registered.
    If you want more than 2 dogs you have to apply for a kennel license and advertise in the local paper.
    If anyone sees the advertisement and objects then you don't get your license.[/QUOTEIn

In New York we have all kinds of new laws and if you want to get a shelter dog you have to go through a rigorous adoption process.

And well so ,because they don't want to see these animals back in the shelter.

My sister is a shelter volunteer and because the economy is so bad in the New York,she sees so many people bringing their dogs in,just devastated.They simply can't afford them anymore.

It's a no kill shelter but it still is awful that in this day and time people have to give up their family to survive.

Sorry for the rant :)

Please continue to have people get a pound dog!
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2009, 04:38 AM

I applied to volunteer at our local sheter several times and they have never gotten back to me :eek:

I guess if they had too many volunteers, the paid staff would kick up a fuss :rolleyes:
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2009, 04:48 AM
    I applied to volunteer at our local sheter several times and they have never gotten back to me :eek:

I guess if they had too many volunteers, the paid staff would kick up a fuss :rolleyes:
    Oh my ,they don't know what there missing.Better for us because you can reach so many more people here.Our win ,their loss :)
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2009, 04:50 AM

Haha yes very true, even though the ones breeding their dogs never listen to a word you say :rolleyes:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Good idea o bad idea [ 3 Answers ]

I am going down to near my ex girlfriend lives in a few weeks. I was wondering if it would be a bad idea to tell her and see if she wants to hangout as friends or something. I haven't talked to her since we broke up in march, and things between us started so fast and then ended even quicker. Here...

Is it a good idea or a bad idea. [ 9 Answers ]

My daughter is 5. and she has developed this habit of getting up in the mornings at 3am and getting into things in the fridge and cupboards for late night snacks. I have tried fridge locks and cupboard locks, but she is just too darn smart and figures them all out! My question is, would it be...

Rerouting pipes in 12 unit condo building? Good idea or bad idea [ 2 Answers ]

Is it a good idea to reroute pipes for a 12 unit building rather then take the chance of digging up concrete parking lot and plumber not finding where break in clay pipe is? If there is a break in the pipe at all how can you put a liner in if you can't see?? I personally think the plumber is lying...

View more questions Search