Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vic119 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2006, 04:47 AM
    Gas furnace turns off before set temperature.
    We have Janitrol / Goodman GMP Series gas furnace. Recently, the furnace would turn off before set temperature on the thermostat. I had a Lux programmable thermostat and thought this was the problem. I replaced the thermostat with a Honeywell programmable thermostat and it worked great. The heat turned on and off as desired for one day. Then this morning we are back to an indoor temperature reading below the desired temperature (which for us is 70) on our new thermostat. So it is not the thermostat. Last year we replaced the motor, capacitor and the venter blower assembly - so it is not these parts. It seems to be an electrical problem. Any information will be appreciated.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2006, 01:51 PM
    Any codes flashing on the circuit board?
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2006, 06:46 PM
    Make sure return air filter is clean. If it is dirty and restricting air flow it will trip the limit.
    vic119 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2006, 07:45 PM
    First, thank you both for the quick response. A quick cleaning may have done the trick. I have a Janitrol / Goodman GMP 125-4 gas furnace with the original circuit board so I did not see any codes displayed but please advise if I missed it. The air filter was changed within the last month. I checked it again and there was no excessive dust collection. With that in mind, I removed the control access door and the blower door below it and noticed it was quite dusty. I carefully vaccuumed the entire area and so far it seems to be working fine. I am going to call for a professional cleaning / tune up tomorrow. In any case - I'll see if I wake up with an angry wife or a warm one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What to set my thermostat temperature for maximum saving [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My thermostat's lowest temperature setting for heat is 45 degrees. (I have forced hot air with a gas furnace) When I am home, the temperature is set between 68 - 70. During the day when no one is home it is set at 45 degrees. Some people have told me that this is not good practice...

A/C cools below set temperature [ 1 Answers ]

My A/C cools below the set temperature. I turned the Thermostat off and the furnace kept running. I had to turn off the furnace at the breaker. Trying to figure out what might be the problem.

Gas furnace fan turns on but nothing comes out [ 1 Answers ]

When I turn on my gas furnace, the pilot light comes on, but goes off afer a couple of minutes after having produced nothing. When I turn on the manual fan, it starts up, but no air comes out. Any ideas? Thanks

Knocking in furnace when AC turns off [ 1 Answers ]

My AC is cooling OK, after I spent $250 last week having a new blower motor put in the furnace unit, but it continues to make a "knocking" sounds for a minute or two after the fan shuts off. It's so loud it wakes me up, which is why I'm posting at 5:20 A.M.; I also noticed that the line is icing up.

Gas Heater Turns and Off every two minutes [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Our Gas Heater turns on and then after a short burst stops. I observed that the Gas flames start and stop every two minutes even though temperature that I set on thermostat has not been reached. Is this normal? Over the long run house heats up to the my require heat but I suspect this...

View more questions Search