Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    obileobile Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2009, 05:54 AM
    Teaching with a felony conviction
    If one has a felony conviction and is on probation... can that person teach in the state of Alabama? Can they ever teach?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2009, 06:07 AM
    Hello again, o:

I don't know if anybody will hire you. But, I don't think they're precluded from hiring you. Do you still have your teaching certificate?? Is that the same as a license?? If so, then I don't see WHY you can't get hired... Oh, I know it ain't going to be easy, but that wasn't your question.

excon

Sep 2, 2009, 06:10 AM

This person does not have a teaching certificate, but is trying to get one and has a felony conviction. I fear she is wasting her time. I 'think' you can not teach in Alabama with a felony conviction.
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2009, 06:12 AM

Yes you still can. As long as you still have you license. The best thing to do while interviewing or filing for a license is to be completeley honest about your conviction. This is what I've heard from every Education Attorney I've heard speak. So be HONEST! Good luck.
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2009, 06:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by obileobile View Post
    This person does not have a teaching certificate, but is trying to get one and has a felony conviction. I fear she is wasting her time. I 'think' you can not teach in Alabama with a felony conviction.
    He/she will still be able to while it will be somewhat of a hassle and will depend on what the felony was for. Like I said, honesty with the department of education and the school will help. All she can do is go from there. It's up to the department.

Sep 2, 2009, 06:17 AM

Thank you... I thought there was a law against anyone teaching with a felony conviction.
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2009, 06:33 AM

It all depends on the state board of ecducation and the severity of the felony. Here are a few detailed steps this person can take while trying to get a license.

• Research your State Board of Education’s regulations regarding felony convictions and teacher licensure. Some states prohibit any convicted felon from being licensed, whereas others base the decision on the type of felony committed. (Like I said, depends on the board)
    • Be prepared to relocate to another state with less stringent regulations if you are determined to teach. Check individual State Board of Education websites to determine parameters.
    • Talk frankly and honestly about the lessons you have learned. If you are able to be licensed, some district applications will give you the opportunity to discuss the circumstances of your conviction.
    • Consult an attorney for valuable legal advice regarding your rights. Remember that there is a difference between an arrest and a conviction.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Felony conviction [ 9 Answers ]

I know someone who was convicted of passport fraud. He was given 5 yrs probation with several stipulations one being that he must stay current on court ordered child support. He was also told he can not leave his jusdicial area without permission of the probation officer. He lost his job when he...

Felony Conviction [ 3 Answers ]

I have a felony conviction for drug trafficking. I've served ALL my time. I need to know what to do about having my record sealed/expunged. I need help with this because I need a better job. The conviction was in Georgia and I was released in April 2002. Advice Please!!

2nd DUI Felony Conviction, [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: :confused: Hi I am 25 year old female living in Long Island ny, I am currenty a student taking on a dual major, working full time. I just took on a summer internship and I am attending an outpatient drug program to which I am compliant and don't have any problems with. I am going to...

Arrest record with no conviction & teaching [ 12 Answers ]

My question is this-We live in California & I just finished school to become an Early Childhood Education teacher. My husband & I had a wicked argument when we were going through a stressful time. I was going to take our son & go to Chicago because I'd had it. To prevent me from leaving my husband...

Teaching & felony conviction [ 3 Answers ]

I have read the previous posts about this, but I received mine over 11 years ago. It was felony shoplifting. I was blamed for letting merchandise go out the door at my job. I had a public defender. I paid $4000 in restitution (sp.). I was put on probation and I paid all of my fines. That was the...

View more questions Search