Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amwhitt1 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2006, 07:33 AM
    Faucet has no hot water
    This faucet is located in the beauty salon of a nursing home. The problem is... all of a sudden there is no hot water coming out of the faucet.

Things that have been tried...

The cold water line was shut off to the faucet and the faucet was turned on... so that it was only pulling from the hot water line, and still only cold water. Occasionally some lukewarm water comes through with this scenario. The hot water line was then disconnected from the sink and that water coming directly out of the pipe was still cold, occasionally warm. Where do we go from here? All other sinks/showers in the nursing home have hot water.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 5, 2006, 07:42 AM
    This faucet. Is it a one handled faucet or two knobs? Does the water that comes out of the hot side have a strong or a weak stream? Does the faucet have a brand name stamped on it? Has any work been done in the home recently? How far away from the water heater is the beauty salon? Are there other faucets in the salon that are working or is this the only faucet?
    We need all the details you can give us. Regards, Tom

Nov 5, 2006, 09:23 AM
    It is a one handled faucet - looks like a ball that you pull straight up to turn on. The water coming out of the hot line is strong. No work has been done in the home recently. The water heater is located about 60 feet from the salon. There are no other faucets located in the salon. Can't report on the brand until Monday when back at work.

Thanks

Nov 5, 2006, 09:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by amwhitt1
    This faucet is located in the beauty salon of a nursing home. The problem is...all of a sudden there is no hot water coming out of the faucet.

Things that have been tried...

The cold water line was shut off to the faucet and the faucet was turned on...so that it was only pulling from the hot water line, and still only cold water. Occassionally some lukewarm water comes through with this scenario. The hot water line was then disconnected from the sink and that water coming directly out of the pipe was still cold, occassionally warm. Where do we go from here? All other sinks/showers in the nursing home have hot water.
    Sorry... Tuesday past, the water to the whole building was shut off for about 5 minutes to test the backflow preventers.
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 5, 2006, 10:33 AM
    Sounds like you have a Delta Crystal Handle Series lavatory faucet, (see image upper right)
    Shut the water off and open up the faucet. Remove everything including the ball assembly check and clean out any crud that may be blocking the seats and springs. Before you reassemble turn the water back on to flush out the supplies. Turn on the hot side on first to check that there's hot water to the faucet. Good luck, Tom

Nov 5, 2006, 11:33 AM
    With the hot pipe unhooked, the water coming out of the pipe is not hot.
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 5, 2006, 01:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by amwhitt1
    With the hot pipe unhooked, the water coming out of the pipe is not hot.
    That puts the problem in the water heater. I'm going to assume that you have a electric one. Check the breaker to be sure it hasn't tripped. If the breaker's OK then turn off the power and check the elements, starting with the lower one first. Get back to me with the results. Good luck, Tom

Nov 5, 2006, 03:14 PM
    It is a gas water heater that supplies water to about 25 rooms. All other rooms/faucets have hot water... this is the only faucet that just stopped getting hot water to it.
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 5, 2006, 04:02 PM
    Have you tracked the hot water branch back to the main? There just has to be a cross connection some where in the system. If you can track the branch back to the main then follow it to feel where the water stops being hot. If there's any other fixtures on the hot water branch now's the time to tell me. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low Hot Water in Kitchen Faucet? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a newer faucet in the kitchen (kohler1 year) and a dishwasher attached... New Hot water heater and I am having very low hot water pressure in the kitchen only. I am trying to figure out why, I know the faucet has a temperature control. Could this be it? Or is in the pipes. Thanks...

No hot water in shower after replacing faucet [ 1 Answers ]

We just replaced the faucet for the shower in our bathroom (no tub, only shower). Water turns on & off fine & the pressure is good. However, when we turn the knob to the left (hot), we do not get hot water after this replacement. As we only replaced the faucet, we can't figure out why. Any...

Hot water faucet [ 1 Answers ]

My question is that my upstairs bathroom tub/shower the cold water runs fine. The hot water is much slower to come out of the faucet. I have faucets for both cold and hot water. They are Gerber faucets and I tried to remove the stem from the hot water to check it by removing the handle and the...

Hot Water Pressure- Kitchen Faucet [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, The other day, we turned the kitchen faucet on and there was no hot water pressure all of a sudden... we just get a trickle. The water pressure in the rest of the house is fine (hot and cold) and the cold water comes out fine as well. Any ideas? Thanks!

Low hot water pressure from kichen faucet only- 1 handle faucet [ 7 Answers ]

Hi. My question is similar to one asked a few posts ago except this is a 1 handle faucet. I plan on maintaining the boiler from now on but I have to fix the flow problem first. I disconnected the hot water supply line to the faucet and the pressure is excellent so I assume the problem is in the...

View more questions Search