Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tradcat Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2009, 08:36 PM
    My Garage door opens at night without prompting.
    Hi,
    I bought a forclosed home and the Garage door opener didi not come with remotes. It's a Craftsman 1/2 horse. I bought 2 handheld remote openers and they work fine, but I think the original owners still have the remote (and I know they live around the corner) because my garage door opens in the middle of the night. Is there a way to change the openers "key" so their remote will not work?
    Sticky Sam Posts: 76, Reputation: -2

Jan 8, 2009, 08:51 PM

I had this problem with my Craftsman 1/2 HP motor, it can be from quite a few peoples cars. Until I rectified the problem, I pulled the cable from the Craftsman 1/2 HP motor out of the wall socket until I needed to open the garage door .Only have the motor plugged in when you need to open the door, a bit of a pain but better than someone pinching all my tools. I then bought (from Sears) a new remote with a new code.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2009, 08:54 PM

Some times if you pull the cover off the actual motor housing look in the back of the motor there are code switches to reset different codes. If this can be changed and recalibrate the new opener then its on your preset code only. IT may make that easier if you have the manual two the craftsman and it can direct you. Even if you don't have it chances are you can flip one of the little black slide switches or what ever it has to change the code and you new remote can re calibrate again to it it should work

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please
    Rate My Answer
    tradcat Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2009, 09:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 21boat View Post
    Some times if you pull the cover off the actual motor housing look in the back of the motor there are code switches to reset different codes. If this can be changed and recalibrate the new opener then its on your preset code only. IT may make that easier if you have the manual two the craftsman and it can direct you. Even if you don't have it chances are you can flip one of the little black slide switches or what ever it has to change the code and you new remote can re calibrate again to it it should work

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please
    Rate My Answer
    Thank you for your response. So if I change the sequence of the row of Dip switches, that will change the code? Then all I have to do is reprogram the remotes? Great! Thanks for the response.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2009, 12:19 PM

Yes sorry I'm late to get back. Those dip switches should be the change in code sequence. They are there so when the thousands of openers are sold and a neighbor of a one in a million gets your same code one of you can change the code. The trick here is getting your new remote to reprogram to the new code
    I have som info on that try this

http://www.doorsandopeners.com/html/...ansmitters.php

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2009, 08:33 AM

If it's working, great, if it continues you may have to use a different frequency Transmitter/
    Receiver, code should be changed from default.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 11, 2009, 12:50 PM

Did you find those dip switches? Not all openers have them anymore. Chaimberlin and others have some remotes that reprogram thenselves radomly every time they are operated.
    slickone987 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2009, 11:31 AM

Changing the DIP switches should work fine. The previous owners are probably doing it...
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 14, 2009, 05:05 AM

Just a Note,Some OPerators and remotes have no DIP switches, they have to be "learned"(taught).
    If this is the case, pressing the learn button longer, erases all(and old) codes. Then learn only your remotes, previous owners will not work now.
    Charly_Brown Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2009, 05:24 PM

Yes, change the sequence of the row of Dip switches, (only one or two is needed ) that will change the code, now reset your handheld remote.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rehanging a door - so it opens the other way [ 9 Answers ]

Hi guys I need some advice on how to "flip" my bedroom door. Right now it opens into the room, and I want it to open "out". Can it be with not too much mess? I guess I'll need to turn the door frame but I have no idea how without damaging the wall (common plasterboard). I'd appreciate any...

Dryer door opens [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore Series 80 King Size dryer that just recently the door pops open, on during the drying cycle. It will sometimes dry for 10 minutes other times less than 1 minute. It also appears to be hotter than it should for the amount of time is is on. I empty the lint every time. Is the...

Garage Door Only Opens to About Three Inches, Then Stops [ 4 Answers ]

[When I push the remote to open my garage door, it opens as far as about three inches, then stops. So, I push it again to bring it back down and start all over again, and it works right the second time. It's behaved this way several times this last week. Can someone tell me what's wrong?

MayTag freezer door opens when refrigerator door is closed [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm new here. I have a 9 year old Maytag refrigerator with a freezer on top. Recently whenever I close the refrigerator I notice that the freezer door pops open. I looked at the seals around it but can't see anything wrong. I did notice that I can simply tap on the door and it will...

Garage door opens only a few inches [ 4 Answers ]

My rolling panel garage door only opens about 6 inches and then stops - does not go back down, just stops. I tried to spray the rollers w/WD 40 and see that that's not the thing to do... but now I'm stuck not being able to get in. There is nothing in the way of the sensors - although I do believe...

View more questions Search