Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kearbda Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2009, 08:49 AM
    How to remove Fan Blades from Compressor Motor
    The bearings in the fan motor attached to my HVAC compressor appear to have gone out (there was a squealing sound before the motor stopped working and the fan blades are hard to turn by hand). We want to replace the motor but haven't been able to find any guidance on how to remove the fan blades. I have seen references to a special tool but nothing specific. Can anyone help me out?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2009, 09:55 AM

Here is a sample puller: HVAC/R Products - YELLOW JACKET

You will find one or two setscrews on the pulley. Sometimes you get lucky and the pulley comes off easily. You may be able to use a generic pull at an autoparts store too.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Aug 31, 2009, 10:28 AM
    A trick way to remove a fan blade from a motor shaft.

Remove set screws from blade hub.

Spray blade hub area and shaft with WD-40. (typo fixed - KISS)

Use a adjustable wrench sized to fit the motor shaft flat spot to hold the motor shaft below the fan blade.

While holding the motor shaft rotate the fan blade on the shaft with a slight up lift.

If the blade will not move up and rust in that area is a problem use sand paper to clean shaft area and try again.

Over many years and many puller devices I have owned I have always found this to be the easiest/less damaging way to remove a fan blade. Use of a puller is great BUT with all the rust usually associated with a steel shaft a high pressure is needed and that many times damages the blade. I especially use this method if I do not have a spare fan blade on the truck.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2009, 06:09 PM
    The puller that KISS showed you is probably as good as you can find,, but you will find you can buy a new exact match replacement blade cheaper than the tool costs,myself I don`t own a puller I do it the old fashioned way just like hvac1000,does,,
    gloriana1999 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2012, 10:37 AM
    A new product is called the A/C Shaft Lock. THis wrench looking device locks itself onto the shaft between the motor and the blade, for easier removal of the fan from the motor. We removed a 30 year old, rusted onto the shaft blade with this device in less than 3 minutes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Engage Blades motor conks out and backfires [ 1 Answers ]

Please help! I have a Craftsman Lawn Tractor 17HP Kohler Engine and I bought it in 2003 so its fairly new. When I start it up with the choke and then let it idle it seems to run OK, I can even drive it around a bit. However when I engage the mower blades to cut the grass the rpm seem to...

Air compressor motor [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 230 volt 15 amp 60 hz 1 ph air compressor motor I want to wire. I am little confused when I open the switch there is 1 black, 1 white and one ground. I am to assume that the white is to be hot to be 230 volts. I'm running 14/3 through out my walls with a 20 amp dual pole breaker. So in...

Craftsman mower will not start after blades quit turning and motor was turned off. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a craftsman dyt 4000 lawn mower. I was mowing and the blades quit turning. So I turned the motor off to check the belts and now it won't start, not even a click when key is turned on.

How do you remove the blades from a MTD lawn Mower? [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased a MTD lawn mower and I am trying to remove the blades. I have having difficulty because I am afraid they may break. Does anyone know how to remove them? Thanks Christine!

View more questions Search