Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dweisenberg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2006, 08:02 PM
    Outlets to breaker/wire ratio
    How many 60 Watt light outlets can I run off one 15 Amp breaker, using 14/2 wire?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2006, 08:11 PM
    15ampsx80% load factor =12 amps
    12amps x 120 volts = 1440 watts

1440 watts/ 60 watts = 24 bulbs.

I once discovered the 20 amp switch at church was over heating because the 7 chandliers each had enough 60 watt bulbs that the circuit breaker should have tripped. Scarry part was that we had paid a licensed electrician and his solution was to replace the original switch.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2006, 10:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    I once discovered the 20 amp switch at church was over heating because the 7 chandliers each had enough 60 watt bulbs that the circuit breaker should have tripped. Scarry part was that we had paid a licensed electrician and his solution was to replace the original switch.
    Why do churches insist on using huge chandeliers that do not give decent light but do create an insane amount of heat, especially in the summer? I played for a church in Rockford that kept frying 15 amp dimmers. For what? I told them to take down the chandeliers and put in some more practical lighting. I wasn't invited back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Neutral wire is hot(has voltage potential like the black wire) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, The problem started at midnight last week. One of my line in the basement is starting to have issue whenever I connect a water pump or appliances to the outlets. Before I plug the appliance in, the neutral is neutral(zero voltage), but when I plug the appliance in, the neutral is now...

3-wire home, 3-wire fan, 2-wire remote [ 9 Answers ]

Greetings, My home is 3-wire. I bought a Hunter ceiling fan (model 23811). The fan came with a remote assy. That I do NOT want to use... The fan has standard 3-wire connections (black, white, blk&white strip, ground). The remote receiver home-side wiring looks to be for 2-wire (blk and white)....

Trying to wire new breaker [ 5 Answers ]

We are trying to wire a 60 amp breaker into a breaker box that has no other breakers in but does have power. The breaker is for a 12/3 220 wire for an a/c unit. We hooked up all wires but a/c is not getting power. We need to make sure that all wires are connected properly. Thanks

Wire size for Outlets in basement family room [ 6 Answers ]

I am finally getting around to doing our family room in the basement. I was wondering what size wire to pull for the outlets should I use 12/2 with ground or 14/2 with ground. Also putting in recess lights should I use 12/2 with ground for them or 14/2 with ground. Thanks T

4 wire home service entrance wire size [ 1 Answers ]

Mobile home requires 4 wire electrical service entrance wire. Distance is 160 foot from meter to breaker panel. 220V service. What size wire do I use? Can I use diff. size for neutral and ground?

View more questions Search