Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dougmartin Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2006, 07:00 AM
    Water Backing Up into Kitchen Sink
    I hope I am in the right category.
    My house is 2 years old and has a septic tank system. This is a single level house over a full basement. This morning, for the 1st time, when running the washing machine we heard a loud gurgling noise in the kitchen sink. When we turned on the dish washer at the same time, the noise became more pronounced. It did not last long.

Any help would be appreciated
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 4, 2006, 09:41 AM
    Hey Martin,

"Bubbles" and "Gurgles". They are both indicters that something's going on in your drainage system.
    A "bubble" indicates a clogged line while a "gurgle" indicates a blocked vent. Let me explain. When you flush the discharge drains down the pipe until it hits a partial clog. Then it rebounds back sending a "bubble" of air ahead of it. When you flush a toilet or drain a bathtub a suction is created by the water rushing down the pipe. This suction is relieved by a open pipe that runs to the outside called a vent. When a vent's stopped up the suction has to relieve itself somewhere, in this case your sink. The noise you hear is the air being pulled through the trap by suction, (gurgle).
    I would snake out both the washer and the kitchen roof vents. Put out enough cable to reach the base and about 20 feet more. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pulsating water in kitchen sink [ 7 Answers ]

I have a brand new Price Pfister faucet Model # WK1-140C. It is a one handle design. Sometimes the faucet makes the water pulsate, like air in the lines, when it is opened fully. There is no air because this is the only place that I have this problem. It will do this on the hot and cold water...

Kitchen sink backing up [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, We have two, probably-related problems: (1) when we run the garbage disposal, located in the left hand side of the sink, we sometimes get a bunch of dirty water coming up on the right hand side of the sink; and (2) when we run the dishwasher, we sometimes get the same dirty water coming out...

Water backup under kitchen sink [ 1 Answers ]

Hello there, I have got a leak that is under my kitchen sink and seems to be under the floor. When I drain water it goes down the drain and then it bubbles up from under the floor under my sink and out onto my kitchen floor. It smells really bad. I had a plumber come out about a year ago to...

Washer backing up into kitchen sink [ 3 Answers ]

A few weeks ago our kitchen sink started backing up with water whenever we use the washing machine. We are on a septic system and have never had any problems until now. The house was built back in the 50's so we're not sure if there is a grease trap to be the cause of the issue. We've put root...

Little water pressure in the kitchen sink [ 5 Answers ]

I have lttle to no pressure when I turn on the water in the kitchen sink. The cold it really strong. I am clueless and don't know what to do. Please help! :(

View more questions Search