Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    halley_fyd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2009, 04:35 AM
    Hydrolysis of RNA in Acid

Can you please tell me how or what would be the reaction if you 10% of H2SO4on a test tube with RNA?

BENEDICTS'S TEST
    On the first experiment, solid Na2CO3 will be place on the test tube with 10% of H2SO4 and RNA on it. Would you please tell me what would be the reaction that will happen?

TEST FOR PURINE
    On the second experiment, 1% AgNO3 will be placed on a test tube that has the given 10% H2SO4 and RNA on it. What would be the reaction?

TEST FOR PENTOSE
    On the third experiment, 5ml of Bial's reagent will be placed on a test tube with 10% of H2SO4 and RNA on it. What would be the reaction?

TEST FOR PHOSPHATE
    On the fourth experiment, 5 drops of ammonia water that is acidify with 2 drops of 6N HNO3 and (NH4)2 MoO4, it will be placed on a hot water bath for minutes. What would be the reaction?

*The RNA used is the Isolated RNA from yeast.

Please also the rationales on why those things happen.

Thanks. I need it so badly. :)
    24777 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2009, 06:23 AM
    What is the result of NA2CO3 with benedict's solution
    jha14 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2009, 10:00 AM

Guys, can you please answer this question? I also need it!
    kate_xu Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2009, 06:21 AM
    Benedict's test: brick red ppt
    Orcinol test: bluish green sol'n
    alchemist7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2010, 12:05 AM
    I got the same set of tests/procedure... dont know the answers yet
    almera Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2011, 08:12 AM
    CONCLUSION
    • Acid hydrolysis of DNA extracts trace amounts of pentoses (deoxyribose), purine bases (A & G), and proteins from DNA = good way to separate DNA into its components
    • Base hydrolysis of DNA cannot extract any of the components being tested.
    • Unhydrolyzed DNA : negative for all except for Xanthoproteic test and test for inorganic Pi
    • Acid hydrolysis of RNA extracts trace amounts of reducing sugars, pentoses, purine bases, proteins, and phosphoric acid.
    • Base hydrolysis of RNA extracts pentoses, purine bases, proteins, and phosphoric acid.
    • Unhydrolyzed RNA positive for all test except presence of C & T; and A & G = best way to separate RNA into its components.
    • Sample extracted from yeast contains RNA, but impure.

2. Based on the qualitative tests, how can you differentiate hydrolyzed from unhydrolyzed RNA?

• Unhydrolyzed RNA: positive for all except for the presence of uracil and cytosine
     Pentoses, purine(A & G) and pyrimidine bases, proteins, and phosphoric acid were extracted
     No uracil
     Acid-hydrolyzed RNA:
     Trace amounts of reducing sugars, pentoses, purine(A & G) and pyrimidine bases, Phe, Tyr, Trp, and phosphoric acid
     No tri- and polypeptides
     Base-hydrolyzed RNA
     pentoses, purine(A & G) and pyrimidine bases, tri- and polypeptides, Phe, Tyr, Trp, and phosphoric acid
     0.05% NaOH is the best reagent to separate RNA into its components

3. Based on these experimental results, do you think you obtained pure RNA from yeast? Why or why not?
    • We obtained impure RNA from yeast
     Pentoses present : RNA and/or DNA
     Deoxyribose not present : RNA
     Uracil and Thymine : not present
     Purine bases are present
     Presence of tri- and polypeptides = impurities

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hydrolysis formula for granite [ 5 Answers ]

I have a very confusing question. I understand tha Hydrolysis of granite has a formula but what is it? I get that the break down of k feldspar in granite causes the weathering of fine grains that later become clay and sand which we see on the beach, I just need an actual chemical equation for...

Amazed With Results! Glycolic Acid and Kojic Acid [ 22 Answers ]

Hello, I have wriiten some posts before on this subject. I got three emails from people I supplied my information with. There are two products you need to get for hand and face. One is glycolic acid cream (10%) also kojic acid. The Kojic acid can be founf in Palmers Skin Success Section. It will...

Describe the acid hydrolysis of complex carbohydrates? [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone answer this question immediately . Lyk now Q describe the acid hydrolysis of complex carbohydrates?

Acid Hydrolysis [ 2 Answers ]

I want to know everything about ACID HYDROLYSIS Would you please refer me a LINK which describe this method completely? I want to know how is it and what happened for proteins,polysaccharides and... in this process Actually I want to know what happen in below process and why we saw NH3 in it "...

View more questions Search