Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sweething Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2008, 06:32 AM
    Is this nose piercing bump a keloid?
    Can someone tell me if this bump around my nose pierce looks 'normal'? The piercing is almost a month old and this bump has only gotten a little smaller in the last week. I had another one earlier in the piercing that was smaller and shrank a bit, but didn't go away completely.

My piercer said it was a keloid, which I know is hard to get rid of, but I'm wondering if he just doesn't know the difference between that and hypertrophic scarring? I had a keloid on my cartilage piercing several years ago that shrank with cortisone shots.

I clean it twice a day with a pinch of organic sea salt in warm tap water. Should I be doing anything else?

Thanks!
    Attached Images

nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2008, 02:00 PM
    That is not a keloid. That does in fact look like either hypertrophic scarring, or just plain old swelling. Its hard to tell from a picture, but it is not a keloid.

Sea salt, regardless of what you may have heard, actually has no positive effect on piercings, and if overused, it can actually have a negative effect. It is very drying to your piercing, and can cause redness, itchiness and flakines, among other things. If you choose to continue with the sea salt, reduce to only once a day. Other than that, clean it once a day with antibacterial (Dial) soap. Not more than that. Overcleaning can also be a cause of hypertropic scarring. Don't touch it, unless to clean it, and don't play with it or constantly change the jewelry. Pick a piece of jewelry, and stick with it. With the proper care, hypertrophic scarring should diminish on its own. :)

Jun 12, 2008, 11:17 PM
    Thanks for answering!

I started using antibacterial soap, until the bump appeared and my piercer told me to switch to sea salt.

One more thing - the inside of the stud often twists down, so the 'stem' is visible in the inside of my nose. I asked my piercer if that was a problem, and he said it wasn't. Do you think it may have to do with this? I never touch the piercing except when cleaning.
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2008, 04:10 AM
    Are you still wearing the jewelry that you were pierced with?

Jun 13, 2008, 08:29 AM
    Yes - it's been pierced for one month.
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2008, 02:27 PM
    Ok, when you get pierced, they use jewelry that is longer than normal to allow room for swelling. Now that its begun the healing process and the swelling has died down a bit, you are probably just starting to notice the extra length in the jewelry when you are able to see the stem inside your nose.

That is nothing to worry about unless the ball on the jewelry starts going through the hole. That is a possible sign of migration or rejection.
    Brianna_Nicole Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2008, 08:57 PM
    I'm having the same problem, and my bump looks just like hers. I'm also having problems with my nose ring falling out at night. I've tried using tea tree oil on the bump to make it go away, and I clean my piercing with h2ocean and have been since I got the piercing almost a month ago. What should I do to make the bump go away? I really want to keep my piercing.
    Beauty Queen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2008, 09:14 PM

Nah I got my nose pierced and the same thing happened to mine. It's not a keloid... the small bump comes there due to irritation form either moving it or cleaning it too much. After a while it goes away or gets smaller but I tried the sea salt which didn't do much but I researched it and found out that nature tea tree oil is a good aid to get rid of it. It actually worked! No more bump :)
    halo_girl02 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2008, 10:23 AM

I have the same problem. After reading these answers I have just been not touching it for about 3 days, only once a day to clean it with soap. It has gone down significantly. I was going to try some of the tea tree oil everyone has been talking about but luckily I haven't needed it yet. I would try leaving it alone for a few days and see what happens!
    MARCIIE22 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2009, 11:37 AM
    I have the same problem with my nose piercing and its been 3 weeks since i got it pierced. The first week was fine until i kept on touching it too much and over night i grew a bubble. I been using the sea water to and also the " STEAM TREATMENT" the redness went away and it went down a lot but its still there it looks like a pimple but its not fully gone. I checked out various sites including this one and i heard good things about the green tea so im going to buy it today to see if i can get rid of it. Its so awful looking.
    animal_lover Posts: 16, Reputation: -2

Aug 21, 2009, 05:16 AM
    I have one too. I think it's a keloid as well. That's what the dude who did my nose said it was. To get rid of it you can get a Q-tip and dip it in rubbing alcohol and rub around the nose ring with it. Do it 3-4 times daily and it should go away in a few days. My friend had one, she actually made it worse by using h2ocean too much. But the rubbing alcohol should work. :)
    babeygurl_08 Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2009, 07:58 PM

That's why you DO NOT under any cirrcumstances touch your new piercings ! The best thing to do is buy Ivory Soap and wash it every time you shower, overcleaning piercings is bad too. And sea salt is basically useless for piercing. And if you do not touch your piercings you won't give it any reason to cause infection and try to push it out.
    arsyo1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2009, 09:31 PM
    I just got a piercing about 2 months ago now and the same thing is going on... its wicked nasty and I hate it.. I thought maybe because of sports... it gets crusty and bleeds and I just want it gone it's so embarrassing. I even had a ring put in it to keep from having the like weight of the gem on it but it just looks stupid still & hurts so bad. I duno what to do so if you have any ideas let me know. I have never had this issue not even with my industrial piercing so this is slightly frustrating..

Also my parents asked me ot not get it done so if I come home from college for thanksgiving and have some dumb bump my mom is definitely going to say "i told you so"

Help? Please?
    beanie3991 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2009, 05:11 PM
    I have the same thing! Except I've messed with mine and have tried to pop it thinking it was like a pimple. But it looks like the one in the picture...
    Where would one find this tea tree oil? I want to know just in case I need it... the bump is annoying and I do NOT want to get my nose re-peirced, my sister had to get hers re-done and it hurts wayyyy worse the second time.
    I would know. I was with her when she got it.
    But yeah. So just leave the bump alone for a couple days and just clean with soap?
    I've just been cleaning it once/twice with rubbing alcohol...
    My piercer told me to do that and soap.
    But yeah... the tea tree oil can be found... where?
    Thanks
    sweeetfizz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2009, 12:48 PM
    I have the same thing, but it bleads.. what do I do
    Its about 2 months old
    vivid05 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2009, 11:03 AM
    {{{{babeygurl_08}}} --- IS WAY AND COMPLETELY WRONG! I am a piercer and Sea Salt is good, not after 1 month though. Please only use it for cleaning along with your anti-bacterial soap 3 x a day, and 1-2 x a day there after, nose takes 1 year to heal all the way, although you can change the ring out after 2 weeks or sometimes 3 days. Sea Salt ROCKS! Healed my Belly Ring in 2 days FULLY! No lie!

Your nose will get better but please also don't over do the alcohol or your skin will dry, if it does, just put some A&D or Aqua-for.

THX :)
    JahnaAngelina Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2009, 04:18 PM
    OK, so my piercing is alomost 4 months old, and I've had a problem with this bump before, its about a millimeter big and is pinkish white, but now it came back,
    Is it a keloid?
    I've been using noxzema antibacterial wash on it 2 time a day and neosporin, is that OK?
    Its like, right above the piercing, its awful.
    emily5591 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2009, 05:27 PM
    You can find tea tree at any beauty supply store like Sally's. Im a hair dresser I would know. And for a Keloid. I have a small one on my nose from when I got it done in July and a HUGE one on my ear. I had gotten it done at the end of July and it is just starting to hurt. I had never been told about the sea salt so I deff going to try that asap. And the rubbing alcohol I'm going to try that as well. I hope it works! These dam things look so bad and I has to be once a day that someone askes me about the one on my ear.. Grrr
    calijhutchings Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2009, 09:29 PM
    OMG!! IM not alone!!
    tabbiietots Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2009, 07:08 AM

Is this a keliod?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How can I get rid of a keloid/scar tissue from a piercing? [ 36 Answers ]

I had my belly button pierced and it rejected and now there is what the piercer says is scar tissue but it may be a keloid. How can I get rid of it? I want to pierce it again and don't want these lumps there. I had it pierced 3 times already lol. The first time had it for 3 years and had to take it...

Cartilage Keloid?or just a bump? [ 16 Answers ]

OK simple question... I have a bump on the back of my cartilage piercing, and Im not sure.. if it's a keloid or a simple bump some people get of their cartilage piercing. So.. how do you determine if a bump is a keloid?? By the way.. I had my piercing done with a gun... 2 monthes now......

Nose re-piercing? [ 2 Answers ]

I had my nose pierced 3 times in 2 years and I want to get the last one reopened what should I do?

Should I remove a Keloid scar (piercing scar tissue)? [ 4 Answers ]

I had a navel piercing a year ago. Unfortunately, it somehow got inflamed and removed itself out of the skin; hence, created a scar which I believe is called the Keloid scar. I had once stopped by the piercing place to ask for professional suggestion of whether not I could be able to re-pierce it,...

Nose Piercing [ 5 Answers ]

Okay I just got my nose pierced today and I was just wondering if anybody has any tips about it... I got it on my left side.. thanks~

View more questions Search