Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    momwith3kids Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2005, 12:37 AM
    Help!2 shower backup, bubbling, burping toilet
    We live in a 50 year old house (just moved in 6 months ago). The two downstairs bathrooms are located immediately next to each other. Never have had problems with either. We live in So California, where there's been plenty of rain and in the last 24 hours we've had a new storm, which cleared up by this afternoon. Tonight we noticed sewage backup in the showers of both bathrooms. We filled a sink in one of the bathrooms to bathe our baby. When we drained it, the toilet next to it started bubbling - making a glug glug sound and actually "burping water" out of the bowl. We flushed it. Big mistake. It overflowed onto floor (clean water) and then more yucky sewage water came up into showers. We are not handy so we've been on the internet. Everything points to a drain line problem. Is it possible that the problem is not ours, but the city's, since we've never had the problem before? Or is it definitely on our private line? If it's ours, do homeowner's warranties cover this kind of problem? Do our problems mean that we cannot use any of our bathrooms (we have another 1 upstairs) or washing machine or sinks etc. Is our water contaminated? Most importantly, how do we get this prob fixed?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 13, 2005, 05:34 AM
    Help!2 shower backup, bubbling, burping toilet
    Quote Originally Posted by momwith3kids
    We live in a 50 year old house (just moved in 6 mos ago). The two downstairs bathrooms are located immediately next to each other. Never have had problems with either. We live in So California, where there's been plenty of rain and in the last 24 hours we've had a new storm, which cleared up by this afternoon. Tonight we noticed sewage backup in the showers of both bathrooms. We filled a sink in one of the bathrooms to bathe our baby. When we drained it, the toilet next to it started bubbling - making a glug glug sound and actually "burping water" out of the bowl. We flushed it. Big mistake. It overflowed onto floor (clean water) and then more yucky sewage water came up into showers. We are not handy so we've been on the internet. Everything points to a drain line problem. Is it possible that the problem is not ours, but the city's, since we've never had the problem before? Or is it definitely on our private line? If it's ours, do homeowner's warranties cover this kind of problem? Do our problems mean that we cannot use any of our bathrooms (we have another 1 upstairs) or washing machine or sinks etc.? Is our water contaminated? Most importantly, how do we get this prob fixed?
    With 3 kids you got to get this fixed fast. I realize it's Sunday but we are on call for emergencies and your's is one if I ever heard of one.
    You have a blockage downstream of the two showers. If this stoppage is in the branch of the two downstairs bathrooms you may discharge the upstairs bath, kitchen sink, etc. However if the main house sewer is blocked,( and yes it's your problem and not the citys) anything you flush or drain will come up at the lowest point, your showers. Call a drain cleaning company at once and have the blockage removed. They will most likely snake the pipe that vents the downstairs baths from the roof.
    A blockage in your sewer will not contaminate your drinking water but you should scrub the showers with bleach to offset the contaminated sewage that came up in the shower floors. Good luck and let me know if I can be of any further assistance. Tom
    momwith3kids Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2005, 09:18 AM
    Thanks, home warranty does cover
    Speedball, thank you so much! I read your message and decided to call the home warranty company (we have a 1 year warranty) and they say they DO cover it and yes, they agree it is an emergency! So I hope to have this resolved soon. I really appreciate your quick and expert response. I didn't know whose problem it was or how to fix it until you told me. Thank you!
    Emath Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2011, 05:24 AM
    Actually, it could indicate a sewer problem. I have a two story townhouse and when the sewer is clogged running the shower upstairs it makes the toilet leak downstairs. If we flush the toilet it will make the toilet bubble, gurgle, and eventually overflow. When it is completely clogged, no matter what we run it makes the sewer backup into the downstairs bathroom.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Burping toilet [ 4 Answers ]

I live in a 1972 Three bedroom 2000 sq foot tri level house on septic. I have 4 kids with two bathrooms. I need help. The downstairs toilet will not flush like it should (its very slow) and when I flush the upstairs the downstairs burps. So far I have tried a plunger, a toilet auger and I have...

Large burping bubbles from toilet when flushed [ 9 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I have a rental property I have been working on and have a problem with the toilet. When the fella who was living there moved out he said that the toilet was not flushing properly, he was right. It would swirl very weakly and every now and then it would barely flush all the way. It...

Draining shower causing bubbling toilet [ 1 Answers ]

My basement shower/bathtub, when draining, is resulting in bubbing in the toilet next to it! Would the obvious answer be due to hair clogging the shower drain or would it be further down the line leaving the house? What are a few home rememdies I could do before getting a snake or plumber?

Bubbling toilet [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, We have a super capacity washing machine and when it goes through the spin cycle the toilet bubbles in. When the cyle is finished the water level is lower than when the wash started. The first flush after the wash is finished is slow, is then it goes back to working great. Any...

Bubbling toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I just moved into a two story apartment. I noticed that when the people above flush their toilet, I can hear the water run down and my toilet bubbles up. This sometimes throws out a little bit of water. The apartment complex has had plumbers come out twice, but I still have the same problem. Any...

View more questions Search