Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    believe_red_sox Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2007, 09:56 AM
    Can't stop my dog from peeing all over my house!!
    I have 1-1/2 year old male rat terrier who urinates in every room in my house! My boyfriend and I have trained him to whine at the door when he needs to go out, which he does do, and we will bring him for a walk and he will do his business outside, we will reward him with a treat after he goes outside, and say good boy as he is doing it. So why are we finding spots everywhere in our home of where he marked.. on the fridge, walls, trash can, even our bed and comforter... We have tried piddle pads in the those areas and blocking off rooms where he urinated, but he always finds a new spot... and he looks at a crate as punishment... I am out of my mind trying to figure out what I can do to stop this... PLEASE help with any opinions on how someone trained their male dog on marking in the house!! :confused:

Jan 8, 2007, 09:59 AM
    I have 1-1/2 year old male rat terrier who urinates in every room in my house! My boyfriend and I have trained him to whine at the door when he needs to go out, which he does do, and we will bring him for a walk and he will do his business outside, we will reward him with a treat after he goes outside, and say good boy as he is doing it. So why are we finding spots everywhere in our home of where he marked.. on the fridge, walls, trash can, even our bed and comforter... We have tried piddle pads in the those areas and blocking off rooms where he urinated, but he always finds a new spot... and he looks at a crate as punishment... I am out of my mind trying to figure out what I can do to stop this... PLEASE help with any opinions on how someone trained their male dog on marking in the house!! :confused:[/QUOTE]
    FeelSoNumbZombie Posts: 129, Reputation: 10

Jan 8, 2007, 10:05 AM
    If he looks at the crate as punishment, he should. Please use it or your home will smell awful ! He will learn that his crate is his own special place.
    pluckyflamingo Posts: 220, Reputation: 17

Jan 8, 2007, 10:27 AM
    He is maybe territorial, is he neutered?

Jan 8, 2007, 11:06 AM
    He is not neutered. But my mothers rat terrier is and has been for some time, and he does the same thing at her home. My dog is the only pet in my home, so why is he being teritorial?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2007, 11:44 AM
    I think the problem is largely genetic. Even many intact dogs don't mark in the house. I see far too many questions like yours where the people say they can't take the usually effective step of neutering the dog because they are going to breed it. Thus passing on the problem. Where did you get your dog? Have you complained to them about the behavior problem?

Neutering isn't a cure all, but eliminates the marking completely before long in some cases. It certainly is effective in ending passing the poor behavior on. We have so many well behaved dogs, it doesn't make sense to use ones that may pass on poor behavior as breeding stock.

The crate is highly effective in ending the problem when you are around. I will not repeat what I have said about crates in the stickies at the top of the forum. He doesn't like the crate? Who is in charge?

The key to most behavior problems is approaching things using the dog's natural instincts. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete For more on being top dog, see Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position

Keep a close eye on him when you are around and have him out of the crate. Use gates or closed doors to keep him in the same room. Some people even leash the dog to them. If you see him starting to lift his leg, give him a sharp ''Ut, ut, ut!'' and put him out.

I have never had a dog that did it. I think it is because I start with dogs whose father lives in somebody's house and would no longer be capable of breeding if they started marking in the house.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2007, 12:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by believe_red_sox
    He is not neutered. But my mothers rat terrier is and has been for some time, and he does the same exact thing at her home. My dog is the only pet in my home, so why is he being teritorial??
    I didn't see this post before I posted my answer or I may have addressed it more directly. He is letting you know he is top dog. Setting him straight will be easier if you neuter him. If your mother would follow my suggestions on leadership, crate, and watching him, she might be able to break him of it. However, after a dog is 3 years old, it is hard to train out what is instinctive behavior. She might have to give up and go to the belly band.

Jan 8, 2007, 12:42 PM
    My mother has recently starting using the belly band, I don't want it to have to go that far for my Brady... thanks for all of your advice. I am going to read up on the suggested materials you provided me with. I hope to correct this problem before my house smells like a kennel! Thanks again!! ;)
    sheltie 2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2008, 06:52 PM
    I too have the same problem, only I have a beagle not sure how old he is maybe 7 years. I saved hm from an owner who hit him. I know he's housebroken, but if Im gone for awhile he uses my couch, side of my bed, or the wall, to let me know he's still here. NOT HAPPY. I think the create is the best way to go, he too isn't fixed. But soon if that will help..
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

Jul 26, 2008, 04:34 PM
    I think the suggestions on this problem are absolutely correct, but just want to point out that this is a marking behavior and not necessarily related to housebreaking.
    What do trash cans, refrigerators, walls and the comforter hanging over the bed have in common? They are all VERTICAL surfaces. Urination on vertical surfaces is a territorial marking behavior. He is putting "property of...." labels on these surfaces.
    The crate will help because it prevents access to his marking areas. Neuter him as soon as possible, because the longer this goes on, the more it becomes a learned behavior.
    There are no other dogs in the house, but he can't think through this rationally--the behavior is meant to say MINE, MINE,MINE! (Remember the joke about the little boy who was banging on a trash can lid constantly--when asked why he did this, he said it was to keep the lions away. The other person replied "But there are no lions around here". The little boy answered "See how well it works?")
    Seriously, look at the suggestions others have made here to help you become the top dog; use the crate, and get him neutered. You might ask your vet about something called DAP. It is a diffuser that plugs into an electrical outlet and releases a synthetic calming hormone--I've never used it, but a similar product for cats has had some very good results.
    Tennesseehic Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2009, 08:31 AM

None of you have really answer the question. How can you break the dog from doing this. We have a 10 year male old mix-breed that has been fixed. We have tried everything you all tried above and nothing works. This animal is a major part of my family, but if I can't find a way to stop him from peeing in the house soon. We might have to put him down
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2009, 08:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennesseehic View Post
    None of you have realy answer the question. How can you break the dog from doing this. We have a 10 year male old mix-breed that has been fixed. We have tried everything you all tried above and nothing works. This animal is a major part of my family, but if I can't find a way to stop him from peeing in the house soon. We might have to put him down
    Wow, putting a dog down just for peeing in the house is the last thing that would cross my mind! :eek:

If it is that much of a hassle get some doggy diapers, no more mess or smell.

Some dogs you just cannot break out of the habit it is true, but first you need to very very consistent and even harsh with the training.
    Most people do work through the day and have things they need to do, to truly train him not to urinate in the house you would need to monitor him constantly until he learns to break the habit.

For the times when you are not home have you tried crating?
    Raechi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2009, 09:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by FeelSoNumbZombie View Post
    If he looks at the crate as punishment, he should. Please use it or your home will smell awful ! He will learn that his crate is his own special place.
    If the dog thinks of the crate as a punishment, and sleeps in the crate, It won't think of it as a special place. It's a well known fact that the crate is supposed to be somewhere where your pet can get away from all the hustle and bustle of the home without being disturbed, not somewhere where the pet is put as a punishment. You fail.

Unfortunately, I don't have a solution for you.
    Luv_a_bull098 Posts: 89, Reputation: 6

Nov 17, 2009, 11:38 AM

He's probably marking his territory. Male dogs do that. You should get him fixed if he isn't already. You could also put a male dog diaper wrap on him to prevent him from peeing every where while you clean up his mess. Dogs will pee just because they small it in the house. Nature's Miracle is a good cleaner that takes away the smell. You're going to want to saturate the soiled area with the cleaner and let it dry then go back with some water to clean it up.

That should help.
    JoLoRo Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2009, 08:50 AM
    I'm going to add to this conversation by asking another question - what if your dog IS neutered and has suddenly started peeing in the house. I'm not talking marking - I'm talking floods of pee wherever it is that he has decided to pee. My dog is 6 years old, a rescue and a cocker spaniel. He wasn't house trained when I got him 2 years ago, and after much diligence was finally house trained. However, recently he has started peeing in the house in the night. He goes so far as to worry at me to let him out - but when he comes back in, he pees (after I have gone back to bed - so I haven't actually caught him doing it). He is healthy and has no medical problem that is contributing to the bahaviour. Does anybody have any constructive suggestions on how to stop the peeing at night?? You should know that I work weird shifts and unfortunately his routine has been disrupted due to that.
    lala1322 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2009, 06:11 PM
    My boy is like 2 almost 3 and I put him and crates and put hhim out all day todo his business out side but he comes in and still does it. I don't have money to buy him a belly band. He is not nueitered and I'm going to do it soon. What I do..?
    peebodysmom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2009, 07:48 PM
    I am also another person having issues with my wonderful 4 year old dog. I have two dogs- this one and a 5 year old- both neutered males and close as clams. They do everything together. In the last 6 months, it has started where my 4 year old dog will mark at the end of the bed in the one guest room. That continued until I had to finally shut the door. Then he decided to move to another bedroom- I then had to close that door. In that response, he has now started peeing at our end of the bed! My husband and I are going nuts! I'm thinking about putting Moses (the Mr. PEEbody) in his kennel which has been unused for about 5 years and also since the two dogs are so close- I don't know if I should put them both in a kennel together. I have no idea how to go about ceasing this issue- It's done randomly and not at the same time each day- HELP!
    rickeem Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2009, 01:08 AM
    Put their nose in it and hold it there while spanking them and let them know u don't approve of it and then send them outside
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 25, 2009, 07:52 PM

Closed, old post

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

5 yr old Daschund will not stop peeing in house [ 2 Answers ]

We have a 5 year old dash and he will not stop peeing in the house. He was house broken, but recently he started going the bathroom on all my rugs, and even in our 5 month old daughters room. I can not have this, my house is going to smell. I really don't know what we are going to do? I hope...

Dog peeing [ 5 Answers ]

Our chiwauwa female almost 5 months old pees everywhere in the house but in the litter box along with the other pets (cats & Dogs). We thought she had caught on after the "BAD DOG" scoldings and then we see her doing her thing right in front of us every so often. This is our first chiwauwa and...

Why is my dog pooping and peeing in the house all of a sudden? [ 9 Answers ]

After 6 years my male, fixed, brittany spaniel has never had an accident, even as a puppy. This past weekend we had went away, leaving him alone. He has free access to the house with a doggy door he knows how to use and has always used. He has been left alone many times before, but this time we...

How to get kitten to stop peeing on beds? [ 3 Answers ]

My kitten is about 5 months old now and she keeps peeing on beds. Do you know how to get her to stop? :confused:

"puppy mill" dog peeing in house [ 6 Answers ]

We have 2 cairns that we bought at petstores. The youngest I know was from a puppy mill. She is now 2 yrs old. She pees and poops outside on demand. She rarely has accidents in her crate (usually only a little pee when excited). But, if she needs to pee and she's in the house, she just does. ...

View more questions Search