Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amm7337 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2006, 12:57 PM
    Need to re-dye but how soon can I?
    A week ago I used feria hair color in ruby red to dye my hair. The outcome was awesome, problem is a week later, the color had almost completely fallen out, washing out a little at a time every time I shampooed my hair. I used a permanent color, and didn't have and residue from hairspray and I washed my hair 24 hours before I colored. Yesterday after the color started turning yucky brown I redyed my hair with garnier nutrisse to see if it was the brand, I used a deep redish brown, again permanent, the color came out a deep brown that I don't like. and again the colors just falling off my hair when I wash it I want to try to get red hair not bright red but noticeable. I have medium brown hair naturally. How soon and what product can I use to redye my hair without frying it completely or having it fall out.
    MikePetrizzi Posts: 4, Reputation: 1
    -

Nov 17, 2006, 09:01 PM
    First of all. Stop. You're killing your hair.
    Permanent hair color should ONLY be used for either going lighter OR for completely covering grey. Your first choice is forgivable... the second go of another ammoniated color is what is frying your hair and leading to very fast color fade out.

Your best approach would be see a colorist and have a few scattered highlights woven throughout your head... (assuming your hair doesn't feel too fragile and on the verge of melting away) inquire about doing some 'flying' highlights---which mean the lightness will begin midway down the hair shaft---which'll diffuse the uneveness of your base color (I'm just assuming) THEN proceed to GLOSS your hair with a NON AMMONIA based color... THINK REDKEN SEQ... a wonderful formula for a spicy auburn red would be... 1 1/2oz 6AA + 1/2oz 7C + 1/4oz Orange Kicker... think La Lohan... gorgeous.
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Nov 18, 2006, 01:16 AM
    Amm7337, red hair color is usually the fastest to fade, and the hair becomes brassy. Please do not use another box of hair color, you will end up damaging your hair. I recommend that you do a deep conditioning treatment at least twice a week, it will help restore the moisture in your hair. Then, go to hair salon and have them do a corrective color. If your hair is brown, the hairstylist will most likely pre-lightened your hair and then apply the selected color. Red or blonde hair color work best on pre-lightened hair.
    kezz_17 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2009, 01:30 PM
    Whether using box or salon dye red always fades faster, its just one of those things. I dye my hair every 6-7weeks with a red boxed dye. (XXL by swarkszkoff in red passion) and I find after 3 weeks my hair turns a brownish brassy colour, but nothing I can't live with for 6 weeks or so. Red is very hard to keep looking vibrant so invest in a good hair shampoo for coloured hair. As long as you condition your hair regularly I find my hair in excellent condition, and it isn't left dry or faling out!
    stylist101 Posts: 43, Reputation: 3

Aug 26, 2009, 01:06 AM

Your hair may get dried out because who knows what's in box color! However your hair will not fall out! That's crazy! Your only depositing! Its not as if you have poured 40 volume bleach all over your head! Don't listen to that stuff it won't fall out! I have been a stylist for 7yrs at a very elite salon! Trust me! However I do agree that deep conditioning treatments would be helpful!
    Teedizz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2009, 10:55 AM
    OK, so about 8 weeks ago, I tried to lighten my hair, it didn't turn out right so I put a dark color back over, Now last night I got a medium brown and it turned out a brown/ orange.. would I completely kill my hair if I went and bought a dark color to go over sometime today or tomorrow? I have conditioner sitting in my hair right now just to add some oil back to it

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to get rid of hair dye/keeping hair dye from fading [ 4 Answers ]

Hello I have kind of a problem and no one knows what to do, especially me! I have beautiful dark dark brown hair. I don't know why, but I let someone highlight my hair blonde about 2 years ago. They turned orange, so I dyed my hair dark brown again to get my color back and I was happy. Within a...

How often can I dye my hair? [ 20 Answers ]

My natural hair color is a reddish brown and I recently dyed it black. I meant to dye it brown to get rid of the red, which I hate, but after I bought the wrong kind of dye and messed up, I colored it black to cover it and it turned out really well and actually looks really good. I dyed it about a...

Hair dye Help! [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I really need help! I died my hair on the 7th October the colour said natural darkest brown my hair origionally is dark brown but I had blonde put through it so I wnted 2 go bk to dark brown however. My hair is that thick I have to use 2 colours to cover it I washed it out 10 minutes early as I...

Dye [ 1 Answers ]

I want to colour stone what type of dye I have to use?

Hair Dye [ 3 Answers ]

I have been dying my hair for several years now. At the moment its on the redish side, But fading away. I want to dye it light brown. I usually dye my hair myself, I by the ready made hair dyes. Now as my hair is on d darkish redish side to go light brown would I need to bleech it? If so its...

View more questions Search