Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gordhynes Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2008, 06:52 PM
    Maple tree - repair of hole in trunk
    My Manitoba maple tree has a trunk about seven feet high, at which point it splits into three limbs extending upwards. At the point where it splits there is a large bowllike hole (filled with mushy rot). Can this tree be repaired by filling this cavity with something like cement or asphalt?
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Jul 7, 2008, 09:32 AM
    If the tree is close to your house, it might be better to have it removed for safety. If you try to fix it, I can see a problem with your homeowners insurance cropping up later if anything happens, like a whole rotten limb breaks off. A lot of the old timers used to fix trees this way using bricks or cement, it works better on a hole on the side of a tree like one that's been hit by a car, or a hollow where a limb has been removed. The heartwood of a tree is no longer alive, only the thin layer on the outside of the bark is. So you could repair it but you have to make sure the water drains away from this "bowl"
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 26, 2008, 01:21 PM
    The previous owner of our property was dutch and an avid gardener. I noticed he repaired a maple tree, fairly old, that had been damaged by lightning with cement and bolts and wire (to draw the two pieces together). We have been here for l0 years and its still intact. I guess it works. Not the first time I have seen a tree repaired with cement.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2008, 02:19 PM
    I do it all the time. You will need tree wound dressing and Rockite (An expansion cement). Rockite is available in a couple of small sizes in a hardware store (Red box). It mixes well in a cut off bleach bottle.

It's important to clean everything out and dry it out. Make sure your patch won't allow water to collect in the tree. Then pait with tree wound dressing (2 coats, follow instructions), Patch with Rockite. Let thouroly dry over a few days and paint again with two coats of tree wound dressing.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2008, 02:45 PM
    You have gotten great advice already. I would just add tha you probably need the cabling that was mentioned just as much as repairing the rotten area. From your description it sounds like the next problem is going to be splitting from the stress the 3 limbs are causing, especially with the weakened area in the center. The comment about insurance is pertinent too, if it is near the house.
    EMILY_68 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2009, 10:04 PM

Please tell me how I can repair my maple tree? It has a hole in the trunk from another tree that grew out of it and that stumped rotted , now my beautiful maple has a hole in the trunk.. how can I keep my tree from weeping and crying.. I like to save my tree.. can I fill the hole with anything ?the tree look healthy.. winter is just around the corner, I sprayed the hole with the stuff you put on trees after they have been pruned
    Expert

Aug 12, 2009, 04:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by EMILY_68 View Post
    please tell me how i can repair my maple tree? it has a hole in the trunk from another tree that grew out of it and that stumped rotted , now my beautiful maple has a hole in the trunk.. how can i keep my tree from weeping and crying .. i like to save my tree..can i fill the hole with anything ?the tree look healthy .. winter is just around the corner, i sprayed the hole with the stuff you put on trees after they have been pruned
    Emily, you should have posted this as a separate issue, but to answer your question. It can be repaired with something as simple as cement.

Tick

Aug 13, 2009, 09:22 PM
    Thank you tickles,do i dry out the hole ?do i put a bandage in it , explain more please. Emily , mi..
    Expert

Aug 14, 2009, 03:24 AM
    No, emily, you just fill the hole with cement.

Tick
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2009, 09:03 AM

Tick:

The hole needs to be cleaned out. You can't have disease in there.
    Wet just prior to patching is OK.

As I said earlier, expansion cement works much better. Instead of shrinking when it dries, it expands making the patch stronger.

If you want the repair to last, you HAVE to use tree wound dressing or car spray undercoating at least on the outside. I am infavor of using it on the inside too. Reason being is that once the normal cement cracks, you now have an area that can be penetrated from insects. You don't want that. Protect before patching.

Monitor that patch a couple of times a year and fix is necessary and repair if necessary.

I mentioned Rockite expansion cement. Probably difficult to use for big wounds like a couple of cubic feet.
    Expert

Aug 14, 2009, 09:29 AM
    Yes, KISS, do agree with you regarding the prep. My method, is at best, a slash and burn type thing that has worked for me in the past.

OP should follow your directions.

I just get up there with a pail and trowel :eek: and go to work. My old tree must be at least l50 years old and has withstood my administrations over the years. He and I have an agreement.

Thanks

Tick

Aug 14, 2009, 10:05 PM
    Thank you tickles,I appreciate the information.. and KeepItSimpleStupid, thank you also for information,Emily_68

Aug 24, 2009, 09:06 PM

My maple tree as I said awhile back, has a hole in the trunk of the tree, inside the hole is wet .do I still fill the hole with cement?do I dry it out wrap something inside the hole, I don't want to kill my tree.:confused:
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2009, 02:18 PM

Hard Drive crashed. Not fully functional yet.

As I said before, you want to make sure your not burrying insects there. It's going to have to be wet when applying the patching compound.

Pay aattention to the edges. This is where you should apply some extra protection (tree wound dressing or car undercoating) within a few inches of the inside and within about 3/4" on the outside before applying the cement. You'll do it after it dries too. This is to keep the insects from finding the voids. Then keep an eye on that area .

As I said, I use Rockite Rockite, For Anchoring Cement and Patching, water based structural anchoring cement compond, for anchoring,bolts,fastenings,fixings Its aparently available in what I think 50 lb pails too. The
    arborday Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2009, 06:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    no, emily, you just fill the hole with cement.

tick
    Wrong, using cement does not let the tree bend and is toxic to the plant. This old-time thinking is actually more harmful to the plant than just simply letting it alone. Trying to scrape the hole and cutting to drain the water away is even more damaging. You do not give good advise for the health of the tree. If you need more information on this go to- a person who knows trees. When a tree is wounded, its uses a natural defense mechanism called "compartmentalization" to create both a physical and a chemical barrier between the wound wood and the rest of the tree. The exact nature of this barrier is not yet fully understood but is apparently is related to toxic phenols that are produced by the tree at the site of injury. These chemicals help the tree to establish boundaries that reduce the spread of pathogens to uninjured parts of the tree. Compartmentalization is under moderate to strong genetic control. And, the ability of microorganisms to compete successfully with others and to spread within the compartments is also under genetic control. As a result there is a lot of variation between different species of trees in how well they compartmentalize wounds.
    Expert

Nov 14, 2009, 08:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by arborday View Post
    Wrong, using cement does not let the tree bend and is toxic to the plant. s.
    Our house and gardens were owned previously by a Dutch gardener, aborday. He is the one who repaired Maple trees when struck by lightening with cement. A very old way of fixing a tree but it worked. I do agree its toxic and probably more so years ago when a lot more lime was used in cement. If this was the only way I could repair a tree if it happened again, this is the way I would do it actually.

Tick
    DLee4144 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2010, 11:46 AM
    I just had my maple tree repaired. It had a hole in the trunk about 20 feet up that was so deep I was afraid it would fall. We dug out all the loose stuff, including some grubs and bugs to the point where it was solid wood. Then we sunk eyebolts into the top and bottom of the gash in the tree, enough to more than hold the weight of the tree. Next, we tacked screen around the inside of the gash to support the cement, and then we put Rocktite inside the gash to fill it up. And, we used cement dye to color the surface of the cement brown. The color doesn't match the tree, but it looks like it's just a wound and the tree looks good. I think it will last quite a while, and when it does fall, the chain setup is stronger than the other side of the tree, so it will be away from the house instead of on top of it. Rocktite is difficult to find, I had to find it online. Lowe's and Home Depot didn't know what I was talking about, and it's pretty expensive, but it did a good job.
    Expert

Jun 2, 2010, 01:15 PM

Hi, DLee, your advice is excellent but attached to an old thread where the OP may not be back. You really must check the dates, but stick around to offer more advice.

Tick
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2010, 02:11 PM

Nice repair especially the coloring. Generally, I don't care about the color, but do cover the repair with wound dressing so it's black rather than grey. Never had to do the support thing with the screen. My local True Value hardware store sells Rockite.
    racoon9 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2010, 06:39 PM
    I have been told to use multiple cans of aeorosol foam for this type of job because of potentially large holes in a very tall another story taller than my two story home) maple in which racoons family of 9 have (until recently) lived. Is foam better than expansion cement?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to repair large hole in tree trunck [ 2 Answers ]

How do I repair a large hole in an Oak tree trunk? Do I fill it with something or just leave nature to heal its self? I would hate to lose the tree. It appears to be have been done by a woodpecker. A very large, deep hole about 6 inches tall by 3 wide. About 8 foot off the ground. Thanks...

Maple Tree [ 3 Answers ]

How do I go about selling a maple tree? Thanks.

Maple Tree ? [ 3 Answers ]

There is a red and a yellow maple tree? They are green all summer. The red one has bright red leaves in the fall and the yellow one is bright yellow in the fall. In the spring they have buds all over the tree the red is bright red buds and the yellow is bright yellow buds! I don't know the correct...

Which red maple tree? [ 1 Answers ]

PLease help me decide which red maple tree to plant. I live in Greensboro, NC and the site is in full sun with somewhat clay soil. I am looking for a beautiful fiery red tree with a good shape. I am confused about the cultivars "October Glory", Autumn Flame, or Red Sunset. The pictures I have...

View more questions Search