Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    niks Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2009, 09:40 PM
    Problems with Ralink 802.11n and Pronet Router
    I have an Acer 4730z laptop which has Ralink 802.11n wireless LAN Card and has Windows vista home premium.

I bought this laptop in US and there I used with D-link DI-524 router and had no problems... I also used it while traveling within US at hotels, airports etc and had no problem with wireless connection.

Now the laptop is with my father in India. There he has Pronet PN-108WRT - 108Mbps Wireless Router. Detail specs of this router are here.

Now the connection works fine if he is very near to router. But if he goes to next room it stops working. After some setting changes, he was able to make it work for about a min but then again it disconnected.
    After that when he checks available wireless connections, it just shows pronet for few seconds and then it doesn't show.

Of course, first guess can be that wireless chip/signal is not strong but I will be really surprised that it can not penetrate even a single wall.

Now, he also has sony laptop (with Intel(R) Wireless Wi Fi Link 4965 AGN) and that is working perfectly.

My guess is that may be the acer is trying to connect at 802.11n network while router works only on 802.11b/g network. Could that be a problem?

He did update drivers for the Ralink but still did not make any difference.

What other things we can try?
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Aug 20, 2009, 10:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by niks View Post
    What other things we can try?
    Configure adapter and router to not auto-sense data mode and rate. Configure each device to use G at a specific rate. Specifying a particular channel may also help. Are there any cordless phones or other wireless devices in the area using the 2.4 GHz. Band? 2.4 GHz. Cordless phones, in particular, are an anathema to WiFi.

Aug 21, 2009, 12:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Scleros View Post
    Configure adapter and router to not auto-sense data mode and rate. Configure each device to use G at a specific rate. Specifying a particular channel may also help. Are there any cordless phones or other wireless devices in the area using the 2.4 GHz. band? 2.4 GHz. cordless phones, in particular, are an anathema to WiFi.
    Thanks for your reply.
    The cordless phone works in home works on 5.8 Ghz and there are no other wifi connections in the area.
    In acer laptop, I could not find any place where I can set it to use G. Do you know where one can set it.

Aug 21, 2009, 12:54 PM

My father tried to change channels but that had no effect.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Aug 21, 2009, 09:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by niks View Post
    ...I could not find any place where I can set it to use G. Do you know where one can set it.
    No, I'm not familiar with ProNet or Ralink. ProNet doesn't appear to have product manuals on their web site and Ralink looks like they only provide wireless chipsets for inclusion in other products. The documentation that came with both products should indicate how to configure the wireless settings. Configuring at minimum the router to use G mode instead of Super-G should suffice.

Also, if the laptop has it's own wireless controller (button on left hand side of keyboard), try turning it off.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Router Problems [ 2 Answers ]

I now have a laptop connected via a linksys wireless Router and also to my desk top And use cox cable. I just bought a new net book and it is close to the router. When Click wireless net work connections are show all connections it will not connect And when I bought the laptop and the router 2...

Router problems [ 2 Answers ]

I have an netgear mr814 ruter, I guess there is a firewall built into it and is keeping my from using my remote assistance. I know I have to open a port but have no clue how.

Router within a Router - Connection problems [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to set up a wireless network to be able to use my laptop, but am having problems getting everything working; The wireless is "Connected" yet I'm unable to access the internet, or ping the default gateway. The current setup consists of a Zyxel Prestige 643 (The "internet gateway", a...

Router access point problems [ 11 Answers ]

I have a wrt54g router and a wap54g access point. Now the problem is I have used them both for some time now but just recently they have started to lose the signal, well the wireless network will just go away. I mean for no reason the wireless network will just go away as fast as it appered. I have...

View more questions Search