Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ProudMommyof2 Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2009, 02:10 PM
    5 Year Old Having Frequent Accidents
    I have a 5 year old daughter. She is very bright and intelligent. For the past two weeks, she has been having accidents on herself. She has urinated on herself about once a day. This has never been a problem before and I do not know what to do. I ask her why she does it and she says she can't get to the bathroom on time. However, she doesn't tell me when she does it. She is just sitting in her wet panties. I am at such a loss! She starts kindergarten next week & I don't want her having accidents at school!

I try to think of possible reasons she may be doing it. She has a 1 year old brother so I've considered the possibility of her wanting attention but he is already 15 months old so it really doesn't make that much sense.

I've thought that maybe she is getting scared of going to school and is maybe subconciously doing it to get out of going. Crazy, I know but I can't figure it out.

Also, she has had urnary problems such as complaining about burning. I will only allow her to drink water, milk, and juice and the problem goes away. Do you think I should take her to see her doctor? To be sure nothing is wrong?

If any one has any advice on how to figure out what's going on and especially how to fix it, please help me out!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2009, 02:12 PM

I certainly would take her to a Doctor to see if it's a physical problem.

Could also be stress from starting school or just about anything.

She needs to be seen by a Physician.
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Aug 17, 2009, 02:15 PM

Yes, please take her to the Dr. a quick appointment will help the worry on your end. It could very well be a urinary tract or bladder infection.
    The other option is that is anxiety due to school starting. The other possibility could be that she is just a super busy little five year old that isn't allowing enough time to go. When she realizes she has to go it's too late. Either way start with the process of elimination and add frequent reminders to the day. "Let's go in and go to the bathroom" "Have you gone to the bathroom" Just to get her back in the swing of going and allowing enough time.

Aug 17, 2009, 02:19 PM

Thank you both! She has had her urine checked out before and everything was fine but that was before her accidents. I will call her dr tomorrow morning.

Aug 17, 2009, 02:24 PM

Also, I forgot to mention. She was in a pre-k program over the summer & she only had one accident & that was when they were playing outside. The accidents didn't start regularly until the program was over.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2009, 02:35 PM

It could also be emotional

Aug 17, 2009, 03:07 PM

Are there other changes or things happening in the home or in her life that you are not mentioning. Though the anxiety of school starting can be enough to cause some regression, if she is contemplating going to all day vs. the half day she was in... or is school not as enjoyable for her as it could be? If you could maybe explore with her what is causing the anxiety you may be able to reassure her that things will be okay or take out the uncertainty.

Aug 18, 2009, 02:40 PM

I have tried to talk to her & maybe see if she was upset about something. We live with my parents & we've just found out he has prostate cancer. Although she does not know how serious his illness is, she could be picking up on the stressful vibes in the house.

And the pre-k days were actually longer than regular school days so I don't think that would be it.

We talked about it yesterday & she hasn't had an accident all day so hopefully she will get back on a regular routine.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2009, 02:45 PM

I agree stressors and too many changes.
    School, no school, and now knowing a loved one has cancer.

Aug 18, 2009, 02:50 PM

It's so amazing how receptive these little people can be. They are sponges. I am so happy that you are able to communicate with her and that you have possibly detected the source of the anxiety. Keep talking. Be blessed.
    sylvan_1998 Posts: 156, Reputation: 45

Aug 20, 2009, 09:03 AM

Not to be the person always looking in corners for creeps, but this is also a sign of molestation and sexual abuse. Does not necessarily have to be a creepy adult, could be an older curious child who is acting inappropriately. Worth a cursory chat about good places and bad.

But I really would vote on stress. Just wanted to throw this out because it also is a valid possibility.

Aug 20, 2009, 11:06 AM

Thank you all for the advice. She has been accident free for 3 days now! I've just made it a point of taking her to the bathroom EVERY hour if she says she does not have to go. I think that maybe I have just been so busy with her brother newly walking & messing with everything & trying to help out with my dad, that maybe she was just feeling a little left out. Like maybe, she didn't feel like I would notice.

But we had a long talk & as I said, no accidents since my original post on here! =)

Aug 20, 2009, 11:09 AM

AWESOME NEWS. Happy to hear that she is doing well. Thanks for sending us an update.

Aug 20, 2009, 11:10 AM

Thank you all for the advice! I love this site! =D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Accidents in crate [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 5 month old Amstaff that I've had for about 1 1/2 months. I am 8 months pregnant and am home all the time. I think my puppy has gotten a little to used to being around me all the time. I want to go back to work after the baby so I decided to buy the dog a crate to start training him to...

Automobile accidents [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter was recently in a automobile accident and my car was totaled. My insurance was trying to get me to sign a check over to my insurance for the value of the car, my finance company was trying to raped me with the interest when I only had the vehicle three weeks. My finance co wants the...

Cat having accidents in house [ 1 Answers ]

So, I am at my wits end. We took in a stray kitten last summer. She is now about a year old. For the first 6 months things were fine. Now for some reason she is peeing in the house. She has some kind of leather fettish - she has peed on the leather couch and on the beanbag chair. We removed...

4 year old / accidents / protest urinating [ 2 Answers ]

Please give me some advice. About 2 months ago, we homed a 4 year old female dog which never pays any attention to us and seems to protest pee and sometimes poo. We want to love her so much, but it is so frustrating. She does it in the middle of the night, while we are at work, when we get the...

Car Accidents [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to know what if anything a person could do if they were involved in a accident 7 or 8 months ago and it was never turned in to insurance. I was involved in an accident where I hit someone else's car... after the accident she told me that she would not turn it in to the insurance if I...

View more questions Search