Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vamosj Posts: 31, Reputation: 2

Jun 6, 2009, 04:29 AM
    2003 Dodge Neon Won't start
    2003 Dodge neon will not start. Lights and everything work good, but when the key is turned the engine will not turn over. There is no click or any noise from the engine compartment so it doesn't sound like the starter. Just getting some ideas from the more experienced before I start digging into this.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2009, 05:32 AM

Fuses are easy, would do first. A Test light will help to see if power to relays, and on starter to see voltage present.
    Move shift lever around while in park and neutral.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2009, 06:14 AM

. Remove and fully charge/replace the battery.

. Clean battery terminals and cable connections. After charging/replacing the battery, ensure connections are tight.

. Test all under hood and under dash fuses with a test light or multimeter, if the problem persists:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post252145

. Read the link below, if the engine still doesn't crank:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post235560

Jun 7, 2009, 03:35 AM

Well I went this morning to take a look at the car. Tried to give it a start to see what I hear and viola, it started right up. My wife said the car died on her after she started it up and went to back out of her parking spot. Right now no issues with it. Weird. My explorer did the same thing. Display went all funky and it wouldn't start. So I had it towed to the dealership since it was still under warranty. When they went to try and start it in the morning it too fired right up.
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2009, 06:13 AM

Sorry to hear, could leave you or her stranded, You WANT to find the problem, wire, connector, relay contacts?

Jun 10, 2009, 09:18 PM

Well I've done a look around the neon and nothing is looking amiss. Battery is clean and everything looks connected nice and tight.
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2009, 06:55 AM

Connections are tough to see, It will take a Meter or test light to see where voltage is not making it.
    mancinibig Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2009, 06:51 AM
    2005 Dodge neon sxt will not start. Lights and everything work good, but when the key is turned the engine will not turn over. There is no click or any noise from the engine compartment... please help:o
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2009, 06:54 AM

I would check all fuses first, also need to check voltage to Starter when Key Turned.
    I'm sure you're in Neutral.

Aug 16, 2009, 08:36 AM
    I'm already check the fuses and the starter voltage they all okay.. somebody told me maybe the ECU?

Aug 16, 2009, 08:36 AM
    I'm already check the fuses and the starter voltage they all okay.. somebody told me maybe the ECU?
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2009, 08:49 AM

So, its turning over? You have voltage to starter, and not turning over?

Aug 16, 2009, 08:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    So, its turning over? You have voltage to starter, and not turning over?
    NO ITS NOT turning over
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2009, 09:01 AM

Well then how is the voltage Good.
    Power goes to ignition switch, when you turn key to start, it puts voltage to starter/solenoid.
    I don't understand, starter and voltages good, but not turning over, will need to be in Neutral as well.

Aug 16, 2009, 09:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    Well then how is the voltage Good.
    Power goes to ignition switch, when you turn key to start, it puts voltage to starter/solenoid.
    I don't understand, starter and voltages good, but not turning over, will need to be in Neutral as well.
    THIS IS WHAT I DO

Accepted Answer
    Yes try to start every time when you are checking for power because the feed from the ignition is only there when you have the key in the start position. Pin 30 is from fuse 9, pin 86 is from the pcm and pin 87 goes to the starter itself. One thing you can try is to jump power from pin 30 to pin 87 that should get the starter to crank the engine. This would verify that the wiring is good from the starter up to the fuse box.

Read more: I have a 2005 Dodge Neon SXT The Car wont start ... - JustAnswer

Aug 17, 2009, 12:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGreaseMonkey View Post
    . Remove and fully charge/replace the battery.

. Clean battery terminals and cable connections. After charging/replacing the battery, ensure connections are tight.

. Test all under hood and under dash fuses with a test light or multimeter, if the problem persists:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post252145

. Read the link below, if the engine still doesn't crank:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post235560
    2005 Dodge neon sxt will not start. Lights and everything work good, but when the key is turned the engine will not turn over. There is no click or any noise from the engine... please help me
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2009, 12:13 PM

Those links should have led you in the right direction, especially if the starter motor doesn't work. Have you replaced the starter motor and solenoid? Were any codes thrown?

Aug 17, 2009, 12:29 PM
    Those links should have led you in the right direction, especially if the starter motor doesn't work. Have you replaced the starter motor and solenoid? Were any codes thrown?

The starter is good when I take the starter relay off and I jump pin 30 to pin 87 the starter turn over
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2009, 01:13 PM

What pins are you referring to?

Aug 17, 2009, 04:52 PM
    What pins are you referring to?
    Starter relay

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2002 dodge neon, won't shift while driving? [ 8 Answers ]

Have an '02 dodge neon, the check engine light came on yesterday. I checked all fluids under the hood and all are fine. While I was driving it today it would not shift up or down. I pulled up to a red light and it would not go in drive, however it went in reverse fine. I put in park and back into...

1998 Dodge Neon [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I have a 1998 Dodge Neon, I really hate it :( But, for about a month, whenever I turn it on, it turns over and over many times, and it takes a while and then it finally starts. I'm really scared one day it just won't turn on! Also, I was driving the other day and something popped in the...

1995 Dodge Neon: How reliable are they? [ 14 Answers ]

I'm involved in a potential trade with a guy who has a 1995 Dodge Neon 4 door with a 3 speed automatic transmission. The top end of the motor was just redone, and the car was just repainted (due to the wonderful paint that the cars originally came with). I'd be trading my entire video game...

View more questions Search