Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    darsenault Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2009, 07:32 AM
    Capitol One - hardship program?
    Does Capitol One have the hardship program?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 7, 2009, 08:31 AM

Yes, hardship if you miss some payments.

Tick
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2009, 08:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Yes, hardship if you miss some payments.
    ... what?

A hardship program is established so that you can miss payments, not if you miss some. You have to be enrolled in the program prior to the missed payments and also have to prove the hardship: new child, death in the family, loss of income, etc.
    Expert

Aug 7, 2009, 08:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by this8384 View Post
    ...what?

A hardship program is established so that you can miss payments, not if you miss some. You have to be enrolled in the program prior to the missed payments and also have to prove the hardship: new child, death in the family, loss of income, etc.
    Thanks for pointing that out. I actually didn't know there was a 'hardship programme' available from lending institutions, but Capitol One seems to be one the most unforgiving credit card companies on the planet, notwithinstanding their aggressive ad campaign. I don't think I would want one in my wallet.

Tick
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2009, 08:52 AM
    Thanks for pointing that out. I actually didnt know there was a 'hardship programme' available from lending institutions, but Capitol One seems to be one the most unforgiving credit card companies on the planet, notwithinstanding their aggressive ad campaign. I dont think I would want one in my wallet.

tick
    I used to have one. The only issue I ever had was when they tried to charge me $60/year just to have their card. I called and cancelled it immediately, telling them that was ridiculous because I had 2 other credit cards and neither of them charged me a cent.

I think the OP's best bet would be to call customer service and inquire about it. They can tell him if they have that program or not.
    darsenault Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2009, 08:59 AM

Your not kidding they are difficult. No I have not missed any payments, but am unemployed and they are killing me on the finance charge. Actually thinking about transferring it to a credit card promotion for a short period just to get rid of the finance charge. Maybe juggle it around for awhile
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2009, 09:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by darsenault View Post
    Your not kidding they are difficult. No I have not missed any payments, but am unemployed and they are killing me on the finance charge. Actually thinking about transferring it to a credit card promotion for a short period just to get rid of the finance charge. Maybe juggle it around for awhile
    That might be your best alternative. It sounds like you weren't enrolled, missed a payment, and they took advantage of that little part in the contract that says they can nearly double your APR.
    deep_sea_fairy Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2009, 08:43 PM
    Im afraid you're a little wrong on some points. The canadian hardship program at capital one are only for people who are ALREADY behind in their payments. Once they behind a certain amount of months the agent will ask if you would like to apply. The interest rate goes to 0 , your monthly minimum payment is only a small percentage of your complete balance and your credit bureau get updated to an R1 after 60 days. It's a favour that capital one does because they are going out of their way for you so you can make a payment. You're on probation for three months in which you have to call in after every payment. But seeing as you have not been behind it is not available to you. You should check if your card is insured. If so, the insurance will help you while you don't have a job.

Aug 16, 2009, 08:44 PM

And if you miss two payments in 3 years you're kicked out of the program. Really you cannot miss a payment.
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2009, 06:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by deep_sea_fairy View Post
    Im afraid youre a little wrong on some points. The canadian hardship program at capital one are only for people who are ALREADY behind in their payments. Once they behind a certain amount of months the agent will ask if you would like to apply. The interest rate goes to 0 , your monthly minimum payment is only a small percentage of your complete balance and your credit bureau get updated to an R1 after 60 days. Its a favour that capital one does because they are going out of their way for you so you can make a payment. You're on probation for three months in which you have to call in after every payment. But seeing as you have not been behind it is not available to you. You should check if your card is insured. If so, the insurance will help you while you dont have a job.
    While that's good for Canadians... where did you read that the OP is from Canada?

Also, do you have a link you could provide that would outline the difference between USA Capitol One and Canada Capitol One? Very interesting to learn that the company changes policies between countries... I've never heard of that.

Aug 18, 2009, 08:37 PM
    I don't think that the policy would change from country unless it is a program set up by the government and I'm not certain if it is. I don't have a link but my job entitles that I know these policies, Canadian that is. If you want to learn about the program you should call Capital one and ask specifically for information on that program.
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2009, 06:02 AM
    I don't think that the policy would change from country unless it is a program set up by the government and I'm not certain if it is. I don't have a link but my job entitles that I know these policies, Canadian that is. If you want to learn about the program you should call Capital one and ask specifically for information on that program.
    I used to have a Capital One card. They offered me that program. It was nothing like you described it.

How does your job "entitle you" to know Capital One's policies? Are you employed by Capital One?

Aug 19, 2009, 02:08 PM
    I am not at liberty to discuss my job position. I am just trying to relay to you what information I know that might answer your question.
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2009, 02:22 PM
    I am not at liberty to discuss my job position. I am just trying to relay to you what information I know that might answer your question.
    I don't have a question; I know what's going on. You're the one who challenged what was said. Now, your job is suddenly top-secret and you can't talk about what you know.

My experience on this site tells me that you have nothing to substantiate your claims. I also think it's funny that you claim to have this superior knowledge of Capital One's programs but can't tell anyone how you gained this knowledge. Quite funny indeed.
    Expert

Aug 19, 2009, 02:32 PM

Hi deep sea, yes this8384 is correct. On this site you must substantiate information when you make claim to know the answer correctly. However, I understand your reticence to divulge your job description, but at the same time, we don't know you and have no way of doing so. Please post a website, or a link that explains your information.

Kindest regards

Tick

Aug 19, 2009, 06:58 PM
    For security purposes, I cannot give out anymore information about my job, I have said that if somebody would like to know anything more about this program they will have to call Capital One themselves. There is no website, I realized that which is why I am trying to give the information I know. If anybody is unhappy with the fact that I have given out the information without any website that supports my information, then you can disregard this information and call Capital One yourself.
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2009, 07:11 AM
    For security purposes, I cannot give out anymore information about my job, I have said that if somebody would like to know anything more about this program they will have to call Capital One themselves. There is no website, i realized that which is why I am trying to give the information I know. If anybody is unhappy with the fact that I have given out the information without any website that supports my information, then you can disregard this information and call Capital One yourself.
    So more or less, your answer is, "I know what I'm talking about and everyone should just take my word for it." Am I reading that correctly?
    Expert

Aug 20, 2009, 07:39 AM

Yes, I guess she is saying that basically. I have no need to pursue it if she has her own reasons, and in any event, she knows the rules now for future posts.

Tick
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2009, 07:47 AM
    Yes, I guess she is saying that basically. I have no need to pursue it if she has her own reasons, and in any event, she knows the rules now for future posts.

tick
    So now, we're allowed to post whatever we want without having anything to back up our statements? I didn't realize the board rules changed overnight.
    Expert

Aug 20, 2009, 08:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by this8384 View Post
    So now, we're allowed to post whatever we want without having anything to back up our statements? I didn't realize the board rules changed overnight.
    No, of course I am not implying that. No one can change the rules overnight, but the poster cannot give justification for her own reasons. I think that is enough to let it go.

Tick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Chase has low interest Hardship program. Does Bank of America? [ 9 Answers ]

I was able to enroll in the Chase credit card "Balance Liquidation Program". This closed my account and gave me a fixed monthly payment. The balance is to be paid off at 2% interest over a 5 year period. This is a hardship program based on certain life events (divorce, death of spouse... I don't...

Tax on capitol improvent [ 2 Answers ]

I recently had my pool repiped and decking rebricked. Is this subject to sales tax?

Working Capitol [ 1 Answers ]

Borrowing $1 million short-term and investing the proceeds in inventory.

Working Capitol [ 1 Answers ]

Selling $5 million of marketable securities for cash.

Capitol gains [ 2 Answers ]

Are capitol gains added to your annual taxable income, or are they treated as a separate gain & taxed differently?

View more questions Search