Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dennis151 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2009, 08:41 PM
    1995 f150 v8 5.0 cant get front fuel pump in front tank to come on
    1995 f150 v8 5.0, dual tanks- front tank doesn't work, gauge works fine w/ booth tanks, I used a test light to see if the pump was getting power and it was for about 3 seconds after I would turn on the key then I quit, since it got power and the pump never came on I replace the pump, but nothing changed, what should I do?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2009, 08:57 PM

. Test all under hood and under dash fuses with your test light, particularly the fuse going to the fuel pump relay. I would remove and clean that fuse with abrasive cloth.

. Check fuel pump relay. I would carefully remove the relay and clean the contacts with abrasive cloth. Sometimes you can substitute another relay in the under hood fuse/relay box. Check your manual.

. Check ignition switch for wear, pitting, or melting.

Aug 17, 2009, 02:35 AM

Thanks I have looked at at the relays , none appeared bad but ill try flip floopin a few around I haven't tried that yet.. .

Aug 29, 2009, 12:19 PM

Well I've changed the fuel tank selector switch I've changed the rear pump and I've checked/ changed every fuse on the truck still nothing, and now about a week after I just said screw it and was goona just excetp the fact the front tank will never work now my rear tank quit , it's doing the same thing as the front
    itsjb5 Posts: 39, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2009, 08:22 PM

This 3 second on off is normal operation... prime circuit to prime fuel rail. This power will stay on all the time while you crank or car is running.
    If you have power then I would check the ground... for fuel pumps, I do beleave they use same ground. Let me know what happens. Since this has duel tanks it uses same relay for power and some of the same wiring until you get to the switch then comes out different wires.. so I think bad ground or corroded splice under vehicle for ground

Aug 30, 2009, 10:09 AM

Thanks , I'm just going to have to start chasin wires now I guess. You see I thought they would have a common ground also but for the longest time the rear did work.

Sep 11, 2009, 06:17 PM

Well I got it, booth tanks work, found a bad ground and replaced booth fuel pumps to stop the gas from running from one tank to the other. Thanks for all your help

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1994 ford f150 won't switch to front gas tank from rear tank [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 1994 ford f150 xl 4.9 straight v6 with dual gas tanks. When I try to switch over to the front tank from the rear tank the truck stalls out and won't start. Why is this and how can I fix this problem? <PS> even if I switch over before I even try starting the engine the truck still...

Gas flow from front tank into rear tank on an F150 pickup [ 2 Answers ]

Help: I have an F150 2 whl drive pickup, manual transmission. Straight 6 cylinder. The gas flows from front tank into the rear tank. Not a huge problem, but when you fill both tanks, gas starts running out of the rear tank because the front one is still trying to fill the rear one. Gas mileage...

Where is fuel filter on a 2006 kia rio not the fuel pump that is in gas tank [ 3 Answers ]

where is fuel filter located on a 2006 kia rio

Front end noise on a 1995 honda accord [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1995 Honda Accord and just recently it started making noise as I am turning right and accelerating (rattling on the passenger side front) I also have creaking as I get in and out or go over bumps. Any advice with this issue would be appreciated. Car info: 1995 Honda Accord Manual...

Changing fuel pump in gas tank of 1994 Chev truck [ 2 Answers ]

Do you have to take the bed of 1994 Chevrolet truck to change a fuel pump that's in the gas tank? If so, where are the straps and how do you take them off.

View more questions Search