Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    debbie9703 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2006, 06:04 AM
    Odor of rotten eggs coming from washer
    I have a fairly new front loader washing machine. I have noticed the past month or so when I start laundry the laundry room and adjoining rooms get a strong odor similar to rotten eggs. The next load of wash I do, will have no problem. It ony does this on the first load of wash after not using the washer for a couple of days. I don't know if I should call a plumber or a washing machine repairman. Any suggestions on what could be wrong? :eek:
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 27, 2006, 04:39 PM
    Are you on a pump or city water?
    Sentra Posts: 385, Reputation: 55

Oct 27, 2006, 04:44 PM
    Well water will have that smell, but if its not from that, try running an empty cycle (no clothes) with vinegar OR bleach, don't mix the two. That should help, and if not then I hope something does!

Oct 28, 2006, 09:15 AM
    Once a month I do run an empty cycle with bleach. My washer has this feature to prevent the mildew odor associated with front loaders. This rotten egg odor, is not coming for the inside of the washer.I think it is somehow in the lines, or hoses since the whole room and outside the room smell horrible when washing clothes.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 28, 2006, 09:25 AM
    Have you unhooked the hoses and cleaned the screens?

Oct 28, 2006, 10:14 AM
    We are on city water. I have not unhooked anything.The washer is only several months old. I don't know why it would already need maintenance. It only smells the first load of wash I do. The next loads, there is no odor. If I do laundry a few days later, the same thing.
    woody_rusk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2006, 07:11 PM
    I have an old house and just a year ago, I had to have all the pipes replaced and just moved back in after the house just sitting empty for about 6months. The bedroom that the pipes are in the closet, the most horrible smell is coming from I think the pipe that is the drain for the bathroom sink. I is so strong that you can't sleep in the room. We have tried to plunge the sink and have bought several things to pour down the drain, but nothing works what do you think it might be?
    Sentra Posts: 385, Reputation: 55

Oct 31, 2006, 04:59 PM
    Make sure to check around and see if there is any stagnant water.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dishwasher running smells like rotten eggs [ 19 Answers ]

Two yr old Kitchenaid D/W problem started about this summer and progressively worse with smell of rotten eggs, sulphur smell when D/W is running you can smell it coming from vent in D/W and around D/W and when it drains into disposal. First I tried totally cleaning disposal which we rarely use...

Hot Water smells - not rotten eggs [ 4 Answers ]

My hot water heater was replaced last August, 2004. I was away for a month over the summer and I turned it down to vacation temp. A little while after I returned, the hot water started to smell bad. It happens at every faucet including the shower, and only when I have the hot water running. I...

Odor coming from under Kitchen sink [ 73 Answers ]

I have noticed an odor coming from the cabinets where the kitchen sink is. I have looked for any leaks where the sink is, but have not found any. Could the odor be coming from the sewage? How can I tell? If so, then what can I do to get rid of it? Any help would be a appreciated. Thanks.

View more questions Search