Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ranger667 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2006, 10:05 AM
    MTD Riding Lawn Mower Tires Seized
    I have a 1996 MTD riding lawn mower that is in pretty rough shape from sitting outside and not used for 4 years. I've got it all cleaned up and tuned-up but still have a problem with the back tires. They seem as if they are stuck in gear or the breaks are locked up. I've tried pushing them, turning them by hand and still nothing. When you press the break/clutch in it does engage the brakes and the gear shifter seems to work and go between forward, neutral, and reverse but still the tires are stuck.
    Any ideas.
    Thanks,
    Eli
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Oct 31, 2006, 11:07 AM
    Probably has a variable drive pulley, which might be frozen.
    wotsupnow Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2006, 03:49 AM
    Pull the spark plug out then flip it over on it's RH side ( blocks of wood needed to keep the power take off lever off the ground ) , you'll see a pulley on the axle, see if this will turn ( you may need to remove the belt ) , my MTD is 1990 and the only thing I find is that the idler that slides to tension the belt siezes up unless you keep it greased, but that just makes the belt slip, it sounds to me like the brake is stuck on or the axle seized.

Pete
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2006, 12:25 PM
    Never flip a mower on its side without draining the gas.. can also drain the oil, just don't forget you did.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lawn Chief riding mower [ 6 Answers ]

Two wires got disconnected from our riding lawnmower. I need to know where the 2 red wires are supposed to go. The longer red wire is hooked to the key or kill switch and the shorter red wire is hooked to the solenoid. I think the shorter wire is for ground. The mfg. # is 0048 and the model # is...

Mtd riding lawn mower [ 3 Answers ]

Hi every one I have a very old mtd riding lawn mower that my mother gave me but it keeps throwing the drive belt. My mother thinks that the way she was putting the belt on is wrong does any one know how the belt should go on its about a 1986 model mower.

MTD Riding Mower [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings All, I have an MTD 12hp 36inch cut riding mower that I just bought as a spare. I was told it needed a new battery so I bought and installed it. Problem is when I try to start it I get a whining or "spinning" sound. I'm far from being a mechanic BUT it sounds like a starter and or...

MTD 18 HP riding mower won't start [ 1 Answers ]

Have a 18 Hp MTD mower which won't start. Does not get gas, tank full, new gas filter, and new spark plugs. Has two kill switches on it.

Riding lawn mower [ 6 Answers ]

I have 1/2 acre of lawn and wish to replace an old Craftsman mower. Sears advertises a 17-HP Kohler Pro engine, 42 inch lawn tractor for $1200.00. Is this a good value, and do you recommend Craftsman lawn tractors? Thanks!

View more questions Search