Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JoyfulTI Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2009, 05:14 PM
    We went through the same problem with our shih tzu. There only three thing you can do. One method is you take a ticking clock and place it under a sheet or under a bed. I heard this helps sooth the baby and the puppy will think it the mother heart beat. Another method is placing the puppy in a separate room and igorning the puppies whines and cries. The more attention you give to the dog the more whining and crying your shih tzu will do. Because know it knows you week spot. Lets said the dogs cries for 2 mintues and you go and give the shih tzu attention. Your puppy know learned that when she/he cries that you will give in. So you shih will contiune doing it because you shih tzu knows that you will give in. it hards in the beginning but it does work. But Another method that we found success in is having our shih tzu sleep with does not bark or whine anymore. Sometimes they want to spend time with you because they become so attached and it is a good time to bond.
    Lotte73 Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2009, 12:42 AM

I had another good night, it seems she likes to get in her crate when its time for bed, we have put a ticking clock in there and she lays right next to it, also during the day she doesn't tend to go in her crate but sleeps down the side of it, still near the clock so she must like it. I went to the shop yesterday and she was fine, she was quite sleepy and hadn't really moved from the spot she was in when I left her! I am going out for a bit longer today, taking my son for lunch somewhere so will prob be about an hour, do you think this will be OK? I will give her a good play before to tire her out.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2009, 01:44 AM

Excellent, sounds like she is finally catching on...
    An hour is fine, as long as she has toys and water it would be no problem at all.

Aug 12, 2009, 02:27 AM

Should I leave her in crate or in the kitchen whilst I go out today?
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2009, 03:07 AM

That's entirely up to you.
    Where would she be when you go to work?
    It would be best to get a routine going now.

I personally leave mine in my living room/kitchen when I go out for a long time so they have some room to run around.

I just use crates for overnight when they aren't active.

Aug 12, 2009, 03:13 AM

Yes this is what I was thinking, crate for bedtime and kitchen for when I am at work etc... I leave her in there when I shower and do my housework...

Thanks Shazamataz :)
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2009, 03:59 AM

No problem.
    I hope I helped a little :)

If you have any other problems just ask ;)

Aug 13, 2009, 12:27 AM

Well... another great night! I am so pleased! She is so happy to go to bed every night about 10ish? The only thing is she wakes up about 4.40 every morning, we leave her to whine, she doesn't do it constantly, just on and off, we always come done about 5.50am... I would really like her to sleep a bit longer, any tips on how I could do that? I am going to try and keep her awake a bit longer tonight and see if that works. Saying that though, I am extremely happy that she is now into a bedtime routine, and would never have been able to do it without your help!

I also left her yesterday for about an hour, and she was fine, so I will leave her a bit longer today, wish me luck lol

Thanks again, you're a star! :)
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2009, 03:59 AM

I think sleeping in later will come with time.
    It's the same as human babies, they wake up at all hours but as they get older they tend to sleep in later.

Good luck for tonight!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

New Shih Poo puppy won't eat? Any suggestion? [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought my son a 7 week old Shih Poo puppy for Christmas. The problem is he hasn't eaten at all. He (after 4 days) ate a couple of bites of wet puppy food, but hasn't eaten since. I was told by the Vets office that he won't starve himself, but he seems very weak to me. Im very worried! Ive...

Shih Tzu puppy [ 1 Answers ]

This is my first time asking a question so IDK how it will go... It's not super serious but I would like serious answers only please. :) My Shih Tzu puppy who's about 6, maybe 7 monthes old has inward growing eyelashes so he will be having sugery for that but in the mean time I got him some...

My puppy won't sleep through the night [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 4 month old Parson Russell Terrier. He sleeps in a crate which he is OK with as he will go in his crate during the day no problem. My husband goes to bed around 1am and takes the dog out for toilet before going to bed but at exactly 3am each night the dog starts to bark. I always give in...

My puppy won't sleep @ night! [ 18 Answers ]

I need help! =( So I have a 10 month old cockalier puppy. Hes a mix between Cavileer King charles spaniel & cocker spaniel. We've had him since he was 3 months old and he's never had such issues before. For the past month & a half he hasn't been sleeping very well. He will wake me up & CRY/WHINE...

Puppy shih-tzu [ 2 Answers ]

My puppy who is four months old, just started licking a tearing up her puppy pads and if she misses the pad and it gets pee pee on the floor she is licking it up. This is strange and she just started doing this:( :( :confused:

View more questions Search