Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CARAMEL LIPS Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2007, 12:17 PM
    How soon does hydroquinone work
    Hey guys.. my doctor prescribed 4% hydroquinone for dark spots on my skin. Can someone tell me when I will start to see results? Or do I have to use a sunblock? I really want this to work. I have marks on my legs and arm. Or does anyone have any other suggestions for these marks on my skin. I am tired of wearing along clothing all the time. Thanksguys:o
    Nicole82 Posts: 64, Reputation: 3

Aug 29, 2007, 02:29 PM
    2% hydroquinone takes about 4 weeks
    4% about 1 week
    That's my experience.
    caroline dery Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2009, 08:56 AM

Since hydroquinon is said to be carcinogenic,why don't you just avoid using it and turn to something else.
    clueless2008 Posts: 135, Reputation: 18

Aug 11, 2009, 10:41 AM

I use a 10% hydroquinone cream on my face only and my face went extremely pale within two months. 4% will take a little longer. Make sure that you apply after washing your face or taking a shower, when your pores are open. After applying, use a strong sunscreen like Neutrogena 90-100+. Also, be sure to be aware of the side effects of hydroquinone, like your skin turning hard and dark. If you see any of this, stop using immediately.
    Golden_Girl Posts: 1,930, Reputation: 60
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2009, 01:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by clueless2008 View Post
    I use a 10% hydroquinone cream on my face only and my face went extremely pale within two months. 4% will take a little longer. Make sure that you apply after washing your face or taking a shower, when your pores are open. After applying, use a strong sunscreen like Neutrogena 90-100+. Also, be sure to be aware of the side effects of hydroquinone, like your skin turning hard and dark. If you see any of this, stop using immediately.
    Clueless2008 did the hydroquinone cream make you a natural lighter complexion with a yellow undertone, or did it make you pale as in unnatural lighter tone? What's the name of the 10% Hq?

Aug 11, 2009, 01:42 PM

Golden, that is a good question. I have noticed that with hydroquinone, my skin lightened with more of a natural yellowish undertone. Like Mariah Carey, not stark white as sometimes seen with monobenzone. However, it is not permanent and it is a must to wear sunscreen. But, I only use it on my face cause it is so expensive.
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2009, 02:43 PM
    That's good that it gave a natural look. How many shades total did it lighten you and can you tell me the brand or pm it to me?

I have been reading that when used properly and temporarily a person can lighten well with Hq and then switch to something else to maintain?

Aug 11, 2009, 03:11 PM

Golden- It get it from a doctor, who has it compounded with retin-a. Although it is pricey, it is very worth it. I went from about Beyonce's color to Mariah Carey, but in the face only. I am using mono for the rest of my body to get lighter, cause I can't afford the hydroquinone on the rest of my body. So, right now I look like a white girl with a dark body tan. It's a little odd.
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2009, 05:19 PM
    I see, so the Retin-A helps the Hq to penetrate through the skin. Wow, it really lightened you up. I would be very happy if I could lighten up to Beyonce and maintain! Most of my complexion is like Toni Braxton's. Do you think the 10% hydroquinone cream will be able to lighten me up to Beyonce's. Also, wouldn't the mono make your body pale without color?

Aug 12, 2009, 08:57 AM

Yes, the retin-a is the key ingredient that sheds the old skin faster and helps the lightening process. Yes, with 10% you could definitely go from Toni's color to Beyonce in some months. You would need to be consist in applying it twice a day. I don't think that anything less than 10% would work. Also, you would need to wear a very strong sunscreen and try to stay out of the sun. About mono, I'm not sure how it will make my body turn out. It is so unpredictible.
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2009, 01:15 PM
    Hmmm... so I'll definitely will have to get some Retin-A. What's best to start with, the Retin-A .05% or the .1%? And how can I get it without a prescription? Maybe getting the generic Tretinoin would be best since it would cost less. Well, be careful with the mono because it may put white patches on your skin.

I was thinking if I did try out the Hq/R-A to lighten, and then switch to something else more natural or safer to maintain. I wonder if Alpha Arbutin, Kojic Acid, and/or Sepiwhite would help me maintain? I like the Neutrogena SPF 85+ because it helps a lot.
    fatimah9 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2009, 02:09 PM
    Hi All,

V.interesting thread.I got lot of information.I am presently using HQ in a regular moisturizing cream with salacilyic Acid,which is a AHA so I have No clue how long will it take for the colour to improve.I have made it at home, 1tsp of HQ,2tsp of moisturizer,n half tsp of Salacilyic acid.I have no idea regarding the % at all.

I am using it only from past 2days.I'll keep you all posted.
    Gr8stuff Posts: 197, Reputation: 8

Nov 25, 2009, 02:41 PM

Whoaa!! Fatima, you're using nearly 50% hq!! :eek:
    Ultra Member

Nov 25, 2009, 08:38 PM

Yeah, that is quite a lot. You don't want to use too much. Best to figure out the proper percentages first before use so that it is properly formulated, that way it is safer to use.
    gold3509 Posts: 202, Reputation: 4

Nov 25, 2009, 10:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by clueless2008 View Post
    Yes, the retin-a is the key ingredient that sheds the old skin faster and helps the lightening process. Yes, with 10% you could definitely go from Toni's color to Beyonce in some months. You would need to be consist in applying it twice a day. I don't think that anything less than 10% would work. Also, you would need to wear a very strong sunscreen and try to stay out of the sun. About mono, I'm not sure how it will make my body turn out. It is so unpredictible.
    Where did you buy your hydroqinone 10%?

Nov 27, 2009, 02:20 PM

Gr8stuff & Golden:
    I have no idea what are the proper percentage to use can anyone tell me?
    Its 5 days now that I am using it,I still don't see any change in my skin color :( how long will it take it to improve??
    Oh yes! that popular method o the other tread to dissolve HQ in glass jar I boiling water.I tried that however the whole cream was at first watery then crystalline kind and then brown. While boiling I flt the cream for the crystals it was completely dissolved but then it turned brown :((.
    Is there any other alternative to dissolve HQ? I also tried dissolving it in distilled water but then its again turning brown?

Help!
    Ultra Member

Nov 27, 2009, 10:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fatimah9 View Post
    Gr8stuff & Golden:
    I have no idea what r the proper percentage to use can anyone tell me??
    its 5 days now that i am using it,i still don't see any change in my skin color :( how long will it take it to improve???
    Oh yes!!that popular method o the other tread to dissolve HQ in glass jar i boiling water.I tried that however the whole cream was at first watery then crystalline kind and then brown. while boiling i flt the cream for the crystals it was completely dissolved but thn it turned brown :((.
    is there any other alternative to dissolve HQ??I also tried dissolving it in distilled water but thn its again turning brown??

help!!
    Hi Fatima, I never made hq before. But I know that it is an unstable ingredient when used in cosmetics, so it can oxidize very quickly and turn brown due to air, moisture, light, and imprper formulation. You only need 4% hq to get nice results, some use higher but 4% to me is good enough when used along w/ retina. Kligman's formula. There is the Kligman's Formula which uses 5% hq, formulated by a well-known dermatologist. I had posted it here somewhere a few months back.

You can take a look at these:
    If you scroll down half-way, you'll see the formula:http://dermatology.cdlib.org/rxderm-...depigmentation

http://chestofbooks.com/arts/photogr...e-Formula.html
    http://archderm.ama-assn.org/cgi/con...TRY=1&SRETRY=0

Dec 1, 2009, 02:33 PM
    Hi golden,
    Thanks it helped.I just got bottle f propylene glycol to mix HQ crystals.hope tomorrow they are not going turn brown again.however I notice my skin is a shade of f red?is this a bad..?
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2009, 05:46 PM

You can do a patch test for a period of days and continue to observe how your skin reacts. My skin was a bit red for a few weeks using the hq/ra. Much luck to your formulation and results, let me know how it works out.

Dec 3, 2009, 01:25 PM
    Hi Golden,

Well,I was too excited and in a rush to turn white.. :D. well my skin is still red and sore. Its has however turned a shade lighter.latest thing is that skin has started peeling is this because of HQ or lactic acid.. I m wondering.. after this peeling should I still continue the solution..? or shd I wait for a day or two..?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Does Godiva work? Licorice extract is 10x better than hydroquinone it says... [ 11 Answers ]

I always thought Godiva was just a scam but does it actually work? Over time? I don't mind if it takes awhile but does it work at all? Licorice extract looks promising for skin whitening but let me know!

Hydroquinone [ 38 Answers ]

I wonder if there are good products that conatins Hydroquinone 2 % ? For worldwide shipping, I found one site but the shipping for other coutries than Usa seems to be very hard to understand, manual shipping intructions, and you have to make everything on your own. Weight, types, and everything....

Hydroquinone [ 4 Answers ]

Please read the other topics I wrote, this one can you delete moderator, I start to write and sudenly just click the button, my fault :) Read my other topic:) Bye

Hydroquinone [ 22 Answers ]

Hi Im new to this site. And Ive been reading some posts. In my experience a lot of over the counter bleaching brands don't help because at the most they have 2% hydroquinone and that is not enough for people such as african-americans with highly pigmented skin. I suggest going to a dermatologist....

Hydroquinone 2% [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Lots of beauty creams for dark skin contain hydroquinone 2%.word is being passed around that this chemical is accumulative and can damage the kidneys. Can anyone verify the authenticity of this claim?is it science or myth?

View more questions Search