Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wirewheels Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2009, 12:28 PM
    How do I enforce the HOA bylaws?
    Hello all,

I live in a neighborhood with an HOA and have read very explicit words in the bylaws about keeping the "view corridor" open between houses on the lake side of the street for those of us on the other side of the street to enjoy the lake view. The home owners across from me don't and won't recognize this clause and refuse to adhere to it. Oh, and the board is made up entirely of those on the lake side! What can I do? I've been told by some local legal counsel that the rules here in Idaho are too lax and impossible to enforce. Any advice, beside sell and move?

Thanks.

Brian
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2009, 01:13 PM

If your city counsel won't do anything the only other two things I can think of are the building codes inspector and the board of health.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 10, 2009, 05:14 PM

If the by-laws are explicit you can sue the neighbors and the board for not enforcing them. You will probably win, but, living in the same house might become very uncomfortable if you do.

You can also try running for the board and then work on get the rules enforced.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 11, 2009, 07:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wirewheels View Post
    ... I've been told by some local legal counsel that the rules here in Idaho are too lax and impossible to enforce. ...
    I suspect that the problem may be that the bylaws are poorly written by non-lawyer board members who really don't care if they're enforceable or not. If so, the courts may be unwilling to enforce vague and unclear rules. Is that what you're the attorneys you consulted are telling you?

So I agree with ScottGemm. If you want something done right, do it yourself. Run for the board.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you enforce a visitation order? [ 5 Answers ]

After reading all of your answers from my previous question, I have another one for you guys! As I stated before in my prior question, the grandparents have guardianship of my husband's daughter. We want to enforce the visitation schedule from my husband's divorce. (divorce was ordered after...

How do I enforce pet policy? [ 3 Answers ]

I moved into my unit 01-07. There are 98 other units, all patio homes or town homes. I comply fully with my lease, Rules & Regulations, pay my rent on time, take pride in my unit, etc. I have complained to Management in regard to meter tampering by juveniles (and was told other residents had...

How to enforce discipline [ 1 Answers ]

Good morning I am a elem spec ed teacher 20 plus years. I have had self contained but found it difficult as I am not a disciplinarian or a battle axe... I feel too much for the kids and never want to belittle them or whatever. I know giving them consequences only helps them, but still I struggle...

Adding addendums to Bylaws of HOA in ARizona [ 1 Answers ]

How can we edit the Bylaws of an Arizona Condo Association? The BOD is a corporation, and the Bylaws are 37 years old. Can we just make addendums ?

View more questions Search