Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    charmed44875 Posts: 40, Reputation: 2

Aug 11, 2009, 06:02 AM
    Can you still be lawyer with a M1 on your record
    I wanted to be lawyer but I know have petty theft on my record should I even waste my time going to law school or should I find something else to do .
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2009, 06:08 AM

With all the posts you have done this morning
    I think the best thing is to take care of everything you currently have going on and then figure out exactly what goals you would like to pursue. Is there a job career center near you?
    They would be able to help you with figuring out what would be best for you.
    What do you see yourself doing in 5 -10 years from now.
    You need a real plan.

What happened to your culinary school idea?
    I wouldn't let one rip off landlord stand in the way if you want that.

I have heard of people with criminal records get into law/law enforcement but it may not be all that easy.

Aug 11, 2009, 06:13 AM

I wanted to deliver babies but am 25 and to old to start that so I wanted to do law or cooking
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2009, 06:16 AM

I think your best bet is to check with a career center.

Check on the internet to see if there is a
    Careerlink.com near you.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2009, 06:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by charmed44875 View Post
    I wanted to deliver babies but am 25 and to old to start that so I wanted to do law or cooking

Are you serious? Either law or cooking?

What was your college major? What is your degree?

Aug 11, 2009, 06:50 AM
    Yes I am for real. I LOVE both so not sure what I want to do yet. Right now I am doing medical coding and billing. Cooking is 2 years law is like 4 or something like that not sure. I have to save up money to go to either because none of which are in Ohio
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2009, 06:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Are you serious? Either law or cooking?

What was your college major? What is your degree?
    She wants to know what she should go to school for
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2009, 06:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    she wants to know what she should go to school for

Well, I was thinking along the lines of someone interested in law school already having an undergrad degree.

First comes undergrad, then comes law school -
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2009, 06:54 AM

I think she needs to go to a career center and have them help figure out a plan for her future before she decides on any type of school.

Aug 11, 2009, 06:54 AM

Yeah I know. I will get my 2 year degree with the class I am taking right now with everest

Aug 11, 2009, 06:55 AM
    Some career center can't tell me what I want to do with my life I know for sure you can do law with record because judge joe brown has record and is judge
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2009, 06:55 AM

An degree from Everest is not going to get you into law school. If you are interested in cooking (and good at it), then that's the career I personally would pursue.
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2009, 06:56 AM

I went to Everest
    Don't go there for law they are a rip off.
    What subject are you taking there?

Accounting and medical billing is okay but not law
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2009, 07:02 AM
    yes i am for real. I LOVE both so not sure what I want to do yet. Right now I am doing medical coding and billing. Cooking is 2 years law is like 4 or something like that not sure. i have to save up money to go to either because none of which are in ohio
    Law is like 8 because you cannot go to law school until after you graduate from college.

There is a cooking school in Ohio. There are probably 20 or 30. There are also a handful of law schools in OH. Ohio Law Schools - Ohio State Resources - AllLaw

And if you believe you are going to "save up some money" to go to law school, you are not qualified to go.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2009, 07:03 AM
    Some career center can't tell me what I want to do with my life I know for sure you can do law with record because judge joe brown has record and is judge
    And by all means, we should base everything off what we see on TV.
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2009, 07:04 AM

There are cooking schools in Pittsburgh, Pa.
    New York and Ontario too. Not sure what state OP is in.

Law is hard to get a decent job in without going the whole 9 yards.
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2009, 07:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetcg View Post
    And by all means, we should be everything off of what we see on TV.
    Also...
    Oprah Winfrey came from the ghetto but that doesn't mean every poor person is going to get somewhere in life. A lot of people just get lucky... right time, right place,

Very few!
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2009, 07:07 AM
    The career center can give you tests at what you would be best at and they can get you involved in programs that will help you get there,
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2009, 08:47 AM

Hello c:

I don't think your misdemeanor will STOP you from becoming a lawyer.

excon
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 11, 2009, 09:53 AM
    I wanted to be lawyer but I know have petty theft on my record should i even waste my time going to law school or should I find something else to do .
    A coviction for petty theft would be cause for further inquiry to determine whether you possess the character and fitness required to practice law. Some of the factors to be considered in making this further inquiry would include your age at the time of the conduct in question, how recent the conduct was, evidence of rehabilitation, and your truthfulness in disclosing the conduct.

You generally will need a college bachelor's degree (4 years) before law school. Law school is normally three years.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Getting a lawyer for a will [ 1 Answers ]

There is money involved, which probably we can make it a joint account. There is a car. There is a handicapp relative that will be needing taken care of. We were also concerned if this person becomes mentally unstable or unable,for any reason, to be able to be the one that would take care of...

After deleting record ,still the record should contain numbers serially [ 1 Answers ]

Helllo I have a problem in ms access 2007... I want to know how to make database continuous in serial number after deleting a record from it... for example if I have a table as follows Sl no fname lname 1 aaa bbb 2 yyy xxx 3 rrr uuu In the above example if...

Can I act on my own without a lawyer [ 4 Answers ]

What do I need to do so I can go in front of a Judge to ask him about why every form I submit is denied. My lawyer doesn't seem to know what he is doing. My son was in a car accident with my sister, the settlement was put into a blocked account for my son which he is a minor. When we first...

Looking for a lawyer [ 1 Answers ]

My mother-in-law recently died and her sons can not find her will. She had stated before she died that she had it all taken care of with a lawyer, but they can't find a name or business card. They did find something that said alliance for mature adults. They called a number but it was not in...

Caught at 16, no lawyer, NY law treated as adult. Can I expunge my record? [ 2 Answers ]

I have heard about people expunging their record - I am wondering if you can do that even if you plead guilty. I recently found out I have a misdemeanor criminal record. I was caught on video shoplifting when I was 16, and plead guilty, under the impression it would be on a juvenile record and...

View more questions Search